Tight link

Firefingers

Hey guys, I have a stiff link on the chain of my triumph sprint St, it keeps skipping and making a clonking noise every time it passes over the front sprocket, I tried everything I know to try to release it, I've cleaned it and relubed it but nothing seems to work. Anyone got any secrets?

Cheers, steve

• 2 weeks later...

If you have an angle grinder (or a file and a lot of time on your hands), cut the dodgy link out and replace it. You will find a link for your chain on Wemoto or somewhere similar for a few quid. You will need a chain riveter though or you could do it the old fasioned way with a lump hammer and a hefty bit of metal like the side of a monkey wrench or engineers vice.

Hi guys, Just an update. I made the decision to replace the lot as its my daily transport for work so bought a new chain and sprockets and the breaker and riveter tool. Took me all of an hour to swap over, while there decided to give the bike an oil change and replace brake pads and fluids

Was doing so well until I removed the fairing to drop the oil and noticed that the plug was covered in silicone and the sump has a lump of metal repair around the plug, it would seem that the previous owner has cracked the sump and bodged a repair!!!! Feckin twat!!!! There is no way that I'm going to be able to get a sump pan and fit it in time for my shift on Saturday morning so how do I go about this???

Have you drained the oil yet? If not, order a new sump pan and drain the oil and fit the new pan when you have some time.... :wink: If you've already drained the oil, refit the sump plug with lots of PTFE tape and order a new sump pan and fit it asap!!!

Hmmm!! I've left it as is at the moment and tried triumph who want £255 plus £21 for the sump and gasket!! I'll be trying ebay later on!! Is this an easy enough job to do myself? I'm hoping it's just a case of unbolt ing the old one and bolting the new one up?

Cheers guys!

It's normally pretty easy.....the only thing that could hinder you is the routing of the exhaust headers, but I think they should be ok on the Sprint...... :wink: Yeah, Triumph sure know how to charge for parts......but you may get lucky on eBay......bear in mind that the same engine is used on the Speed Triple 1050 and Tiger 1050......so search for a sump pan for those models too if you can't find one in the Sprint search..... :wink: