Gear Issues

Rik398

recently, my bandit has been kind of hard to change gears.

now... this could all be down to me only being 3 weeks out of a cast after breaking my leg. However, i have been riding it since day 1 out of cast, and I am fairly sure it is getting more difficult to change gear.

so, the clutch cable is within tolerance and adjusted properly. Having said this, it is right on the edge, any more adjustment will definately result in a new cable.

when clutch is in, it is definitely in. No creeping forwards with clutch engaged.

oil is old, but i have had older without any gearbox issues. About 3k miles so due soon. Level is right between high and low, so could be topped up, but is bang in the middle.

Any thoughts?

You say "more difficult" but difficult how, you've cleared up that the clutch is adjusted properly so no problems on that part..

what about the gear shifter, is that in a suitable position, does it need moving up or down to suit your foot position more comfortably, with the given information I'd check it out just to avoid any stress on the foot as much as possible (even if this isn't the fix to your issue).

And as you say the oil level may be correct but bad oil is bad oil when it's time to change.. well you guessed it..

To really provide a suitable suggestion more information would be needed about what's actually happening when attempting to shift, is it simply comfort or a noise or problems shifting etc?..

It's a case of, 1st to 2nd is fine, other than that it takes a fair amount of effort to actually move the lever in order for a change to actually happen. I have to hook my toe under and pull with my leg, rather thank a light click up of the toe.

Could be a case of cleaning and lubricating the actual linkages.

Probably go ahead and change the cable, clean everything up and swap oil out at the weekend, should be enough to improve things.

But yeah just seems strange to me. Clutch is fine in adjustment, but the actual change is quite hard work, and I feel has worsened.

the lever could be sticking up a bit which will make it hard to change and sometimes it might not even change

its very easy to check the operation of the lever to see if it is smooth

failing all of that your detent spring might be on its way out

but it does sound like the same symptoms of a sticking lever

Tension is ok, I generally keep on top of it and clean/lube/adjust if necessary every weekend.

Just been looking at my leg and my left foot does not lift as high as my right, so perhaps I need to adjust the lever down and I am not noticing my leg getting tired.

Probably will fit a new cable, right on the edge of needing a new one anyway and not too pricey. could be cable is nackered and junked up despite being just within spec? Haven't touched it for 3 years.

the lever could be sticking up a bit which will make it hard to change and sometimes it might not even change

its very easy to check the operation of the lever to see if it is smooth

failing all of that your detent spring might be on its way out

but it does sound like the same symptoms of a sticking lever

:stupid:

Easy to check and cheap to fix.

:cheers:

So I checked the lever and not sticking anywhere, double checked the cable and all was well

I did notice today that it does seem to be more on my way home, which generally points to my leg as the issue. Think I am going to change the position of the lever and swap the oil at the weekend.

I am convinced that it is something small if it is the bike, just feels that way.

Thinking that maybe I didn't notice it before due to the novelty of being back on the bike,

so will keep monitoring for now.

Thanks folks.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so there is a small amount of clutch slip, around 9-11k rpm, and only when really hammering it.

So, two questions. Is it generally just a case of friction plates and springs... would you have to be fairly unlucky to replace the other stuff?

And second, is it something that I can leave for a bit (not an issue under normal driving) and come back to, or is it best to get in there immediately? Like I say, have to push it quite hard to notice.

Thanks folks.

Can you generally get away with not changing the plain plates? Obviously won't know until I open it up, but only form of transport so don't want to risk over spending. General rule of thumb?

Thanks for the help folks.

Thanks for the advice folks.

I am generally hoping its not clutch. Since noticing it I try an initiate a slip. Its actually quite hard to bring a slip on, generally involves revving way beyond where I normally do up the steep Holden hill on the a38. Other than that its fine, so sounds like cable or oil, doesn't seem bad enough to be a dying clutch.

Ordered up a clutch cable for this weekend, and will fit that and re-adjust. See what happens. I will also do an oil change, as I have some left over.

Thanks again :)