The things we do...

Guest Shorty

Today.. probably one of the most nerve racking things this year. test filling a brand new 300 litre aquarium. (in my lounge) snorkel and swimsuit unavailable... I wish I was as calm as the dog.

Im sure anyone else with an aquarium of any appreciable size can sympathise.

About a third of the way through.. and so far so good. Though Im really sweating.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/motobiker/hidesbehindsofa.gif~original

I got rid of my 200 litre tank a few months ago.. it sprung a leak and flooded the living room. we re-homed the fish and gave the leaky tank away on freecycle..

not missing it, and get to visit the fish sometimes!

I use to have 3 200ltr tanks and 350ltr, all dotted around the house.

Fortunately none of them leaked. After several years of keeping fish, I decided it wasn't for me and got rid of the lot.

What are you keeping? Tropical? Cold water? or Marine?

What are you keeping? Tropical? Cold water? or Marine?

Temperate.. low temperature tolerant 'tropicals'. easiest of all. the tropical 'look' without the heating bill. Its going to be a heavily planted 'Walstad' set up. as low tech as I can make it. no need for water changes even once its all settled down. Thats the idea as of now... but, it may change.

no leaks so far. to be honest its not the tank Im worried about.. its been drilled in the base to accept a filter outflow... thats the big concern. are the fittings on tight enough?

I keep tropicals, heavly planted and full of neons with a red tail shark and a red simise fighting fish.

You got solid floors? Or strenghtend the timber ones.

Heavy duty laminate over solid concrete.. It's a fairly modern house. Spirit level is spot on. Still no leaks.. So will see how it looks in the morning before moving on to the next step.

Heavy duty laminate over solid concrete.. It's a fairly modern house. Spirit level is spot on. Still no leaks.. So will see how it looks in the morning before moving on to the next step.

If it leaks I think you'll be moving on a few more steps than you bargained for [emoji12]

Do you have to declare a large tank to your house insurance ? curious

No.

But it's probably a wise idea to add the glass and other equipment to contents if it's high value - some can cost £1,000s. I'm not sure what people do about insuring highly valuable livestock? Separate pet insurance maybe? But that's not a concern for me.