Preparing for test - buy a bike or take a course?

Guest Lindy

Okay so I just signed up to the forum and I have a question...

I'm 33 and I've had a full car licence since I was 17. Two years ago I bought a 125cc Chinese scooter to use as a run about - free parking, no road toll in my area, being able to ride in bus lanes etc. lured me onto two wheels. Because I passed in 1998 there was no requirement for me to take a CBT. I'm happy using the scooter and I know there is a lot of hate towards China bikes (it's a Lexmoto Gladiator) but I haven't had a minutes trouble with mine. Maybe it's how males ride them that makes them drop to bits? ;)

So basically I want to get rid of my L plates. Question is should I buy a 125 geared bike to practice on and take my test on or should I just go for one of these x hours training then do your test riding schools? I have 17 years of road sense and I know what road positions and mirrors/signalling from having the scooter but I have zero experience of using a geared bike. Would you recommend that I buy a geared bike and practice myself or should I skip buying a bike and go straight for one of the courses? I don't think I'd want to keep the 125 geared bike, I'm more than happy riding the scooter (no need for leathers ;) ) and I have a car as well, three rides seems excessive to me so I imagine if I did buy a geared bike that I'd sell it again after passing my bike test... but do people really do these x hours courses and go on to pass the mod 1 and mod 2 tests at the end of them when they have never changed a bike gear before starting the course?

Thoughts?

As already posted.... you need to do your CBT and I'd avoid riding on the roads until you have. If you get pulled up you may be in a bit of mischief.

In regards getting your full license. I took my CBT on a geared bike, then went on to do my Mod 1 and Mod 2 in the space of a couple of months. No prior bike experience and around 20hours of riding in total, so yes it is doable.

It's not worth buying a geared bike to practice on, you'll be better off just using a riding school bike and doing it under their instruction.

Interesting replies re: the CBT, I've been pulled over on my scooter and had my licence checked by the police via their radio four times now and they've never said I should have a CBT.

Interesting replies re: the CBT, I've been pulled over on my scooter and had my licence checked by the police via their radio four times now and they've never said I should have a CBT.

Why have you been pulled so many times?? Touching wood right now, but I'm yet to be pulled.

I'd say do a cbt on a 125 geared bike anyway, they'll then be able to advise you depending on your ability what your best next move would be regarding your full license. (plus you'll have a cbt at the end of it!)

If you think you're legal, then you'd best find a reference to the laws on the UK.gov website that make it legal for you to ride without a CBT.

If you are not legal, then if you have an accident and the insurance companies look into it, they will use any excuse they can to pin the blame on you and not payout for any damages.

Then you get arrested and charged with riding a bike without a licence and for riding without insurance as not having a licence invalidates your insurance policy. you then get banned from driving your car and your bike, you get a big fine and loads of points on your licence when you eventually get it back... and insurance prices for you car and bike will go up about 10000%!

best find some confirmation you're legal... ;)

you don't need a CBT for a moped. 50cc engine or less. you do need one for a 125cc. I'm certain of that - because just 3 or 4 years ago I had to do my CBT. i'm the same age and have similar driving experience. (passed in 1999).

with regards to the test, if you've already had a little while of riding around, get yourself in for lessons and do the test. you will need the lessons because they have a specific way of doing things that you will need to know about. plus that, to be above board, you will need to borrow one of their 650cc machines to do your test on.

it'll cost you about £500- £700 to do your test (depending on how you do it and who you do it with/retests). you should sail through if you're a half decent rider.

Check this but as far as im aware you need to take a cbt to validate the entitlement on your licence and until you take it your not legal, but like i say check. You will have to sit a cbt to start the course as you will need to provide a valid cbt on your mod 1 so you may as well get it out the way, £100 and a day of your time. Get a 125 and practice if you like or do what a lot do and just book th whole course and do all in one go and spend the money on a big bike

• 2 weeks later...

I took an intake of breathe when I read this post :shock: You need to pass a CBT to ride a 125cc (not a 50cc moped) along with your car licence.

"Car driving test passed before 1 February 2001

You don’t need to take compulsory basic training (CBT) to ride a moped if you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001. You’ll still need to complete CBT to ride a motorbike, however."

https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-mope ... nuary-2013

I passed my test a few years before you and I have to do the CBT - fortunately, I think it's a good thing to do.

Effectively your insurance is invalid if you were in an accident and you'd be charged with riding without a valid driver's licence and insurance. As said by others, CBT validates your 125 provisional entitlement. You currently don't have that entitlement.

I would say find a good/ friendly school to do you CBT with straight of on gears. You should be able to do it in a day easy, after that you are first off definitely road legal. Secondly the instructor will then have a good handle on your riding skills and will be able to advise.

You will also be able to judge yourself if you want to buy a 125 geared to practice on or pay the bit more in lessons to skip that step.

It was only the end of last year I found a school that had me for one day training, on second day I sat my Mod 1 on third Day I trained am and I sat my Mod 2.

You don't have to take a week to do it, but you have to find the right instructor.