Newbie question - How to top up the oil

Kirky96

Hey everyone,

This is possibly the most basic thing any biker will know, but how do I fill the oil? Sounds dead simple, but how do I know when enough is enough - do I just keep filling it up tiny amounts and checking it with the dipstick every time? I've heard horror stories of people just pouring it in till its filled up to the top, and I pretty sure your not meant do that or am I? :mrgreen:

Say even if I did put too much oil in, how would I take it out?

Simple questions but like rocket science for me!

Cheers for any help guys

Hey everyone,

This is possibly the most basic thing any biker will know, but how do I fill the oil? Sounds dead simple, but how do I know when enough is enough - do I just keep filling it up tiny amounts and checking it with the dipstick every time? I've heard horror stories of people just pouring it in till its filled up to the top, and I pretty sure your not meant do that or am I? :mrgreen:

Say even if I did put too much oil in, how would I take it out?

Simple questions but like rocket science for me!

Cheers for any help guys

A basic answer from a person who only knows basic stuff :mrgreen: ...

Yeah, just fill it a bit, wipe and check the dipstick (with it resting on the hole, not screwed in), pour more in, wipe and check...after doing it once you'll get an idea how much you have to fill usually. If you over-fill it's a mucky pain-in-the-arse job of unscrewing the screw from underneath and draining some out...I had to do that the first time I filled up and regretted not just taking more care when filling up. Had no excuse either really, that bike had a window so you could see how much you were filling up haha!

Make sure the bike is on centre stand and you may find it easier using funnel. If you don't have one, put some cardboard or newspaper down first just in case.

Make sure you use motorbike oil not car oil, keep that bike running happy :mrgreen: and good luck! Don't forget other important stuff like chain tensioning and tyre pressures etc 8-) . And check YouTube videos to watch someone else do it first if you don't feel that confident :thumb:

Yeah....just follow the instructions in the handbook........and put a little bit in at a time and check.......when you've done it a few times you'll get a feel for how much it'll need....... :wink:

Dont check your oil just after a ride - make sure the bike has cooled down properly. Then get stuck in with the dipstick.

Oh - and don't over-fill. :thumb: If you do put too much in, you can use the pump from a liquid soap bottle to retrieve some.

Dont check your oil just after a ride - make sure the bike has cooled down properly. Then get stuck in with the dipstick.

Oh - and don't over-fill. :thumb: If you do put too much in, you can use the pump from a liquid soap bottle to retrieve some.

This depends on the bike, I have to check mine whilst hot.

Cheers Bikermoo, that was what I had it mind :thumb: but didn't know if there was another way. Funny that you should say that about the chain tension, just had a new chain put on and had to tighten it for the first time, another daunting experience if you've never done it before. Keep worrying that the chains too tight, or the wheels going to come off halfway through a ride....

That's a pretty good idea about using the pump from a liquid bottle to remove the oil thebendyfox, I'll be honest that would never have crossed my mind! But I have been to let the bike run for about 15 mins and then check the oil (Why, im not too sure)

Cheers everyone though

But I have been to let the bike run for about 15 mins and then check the oil (Why, im not too sure)

Cheers everyone though

Some manuals advise this as the oil can filter back into the sump over time. However, the key is to read the manual!

One of my bikes required you to screw the cap (with the dipstick) fully down to check the oil level correctly!

Don't worry if the oil comes part way up the measure area on the dipstick - The extremes are Maximum and Minimum, anywhere in between is OK.

:thumb:

If you over fill it (I TOTALLY haven't done this :roll: ) Just open the drain plug and let some out (best to warm it up with a quick ride) Be aware though it does rush out so be prepared for that, i crapped myself first time and it was roaring out i struggled to get the plug back in. Also on mine i'm fairly sure the thread is reversed so for 5 minutes i was tightening it...

Pro tip. Go down tool station and for £4 they sell a oil pan which is perfect for draining an entire load of oil, WOrth the money and much more useful than the icecream tub i totally didn't use... >.>