Best free Android Sat Nav when riding?

baggy

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a free Sat Nav app for my mobile phone. I am planning on mounting my phone to the bike bars and then listening to directions through earphones, ideally it would also be one where you can download the maps so it works still in weak signal areas.

Cheers :D

I use google it does not down load maps and needs online but its the best I have found. I do not have it handle bar mounted which can be interesting (2 roundabouts close together is normally fun).

I do have CoPilot (paid) but in all honesty I find its routing random and not to my flavor. I know you can drag and drop routes on it but that's what I want.

Looking forward to others suggestions...

I use google it does not down load maps and needs online but its the best I have found. I do not have it handle bar mounted which can be interesting (2 roundabouts close together is normally fun).

I do have CoPilot (paid) but in all honesty I find its routing random and not to my flavor. I know you can drag and drop routes on it but that's what I want.

Looking forward to others suggestions...

So Google plays the directions through headphones?

I use google it does not down load maps and needs online but its the best I have found.

Yes it does (ish)!

You can pre-cache map areas (20sq mile chunks I think). You navigate to the area you want and type "OK Maps" in to the search field and it'll start downloading it in fine detail. The only downside is that it won't do any route calculations off line but so long as you have connection at the start of the route - i.e. when you set off, it'll be fine.

I navigated my way round Sri Lanka this way so I know it works! :-)

Yup both bluetooth and wired. Can be difficult getting sound levels sorted if your listening to music..

Also it can be disconcerting if your listening to music because your phone stops the music so when it announces "At the next roundabout take the third junction on to B4398 London Road." it then carries on where it stopped it.

Which leaves the question how many London roads are there? This weekend I visited countless on my ride round..

Mr Fro: Agree about down loading maps I have done this before but as you say its no good for automatic routing... You also have to watch after a whilst the maps can vanish...

One I've used a few times is called Waze

It's quite good and highlights police vehicles aswell as speed cameras. :) it's good because others can share information as to whats going on where.

https://www.waze.com/

They pop-up on the map as little icons so you know to be watching out for them or if there is an accident.

Hi l would suggest you buy and download Co pilot live.

https://copilotgps.com/uk/store/windowsMobile.asp

it works brilliantly other benefits are, you don't use up all your data allowance which you would using the web maps, also Co pilot works off the GPS systems and always available unlike the web. Using your phone for navigation you also need to have it connect to a power supply as running it in GPS mode or other will soon rinse your battery. As already suggested blue tooth headset are the way to go, you then have your phone, sat nav and music all at your disposal. if you looking for a mount or power supply for your phone try these guys there gear is brilliant http://www.ultimateaddons.com/

Hope this helps best of luck with your search

You can do more than that...

You can strongly avoid / avoid / neutral / favour / strongly favour;

Motorways, duals, major roads, minor roads, streets.

If it's not in your favour, adjust them :)

Sorry Phil

Try a run from Tower Bridge London to Southampton on quickest.

Same speeds for roads set in both set for quickest.

No active traffic:

Car it goes down M4 M3 2h 36m

Bike it goes down A3 3h 31m

Bike down A3 maybe more pleasant but... When I want quickest I want quickest, a bike is not slower than a car by an hour....

Plenty of options to play with in Co pilot, I've used mine all over Europe it's always got me there, and as said before no data transfer required. If l need to find something special nearer my destination then l switch on my data link

I use Google at the moment. Pretty decent tbh but I do have unlimited data on my phone contract. I have downloaded the Co pilot trial. All seems good just yet to use it.

Another vote for Co pilot here too. Have mine rigged to blue tooth my helmet and it works fine. not had any problems with routing on mine, it got me where I wanted to go and didn't need the internet to do it. :wink: