Warranty

Cole Pfeiffer

Well having purchased an Er6f about 2 months ago, unfortunately it is currently sounding awful. As mentioned on the site previously I am completely new to biking and was hoping the chain just needed to be tightened. When reversing the bike the chain clunks and seems to be very slack in places, whilst overly tight in others. When riding, the chain noise is very loud.

I have had a few opinions from people and it seems that the chain and sprockets need changing. The bike is a 2012 model and came with a 3 month warranty. Should this be covered by the it?

Chain and sprockets are normally classed as wear and tear items so not covered under warranty but if you have not done many miles on it since buying it you might get the dealer to do a deal on changing it

Well with it being a first bike, it has been hard to not jump on it at every opportunity! So yes, it's done a few miles in the short time that I have had it. I had a feeling that it wouldn't be covered, but will give it a go. What is the approx. cost of having it fixed?

As above, T&C's of the warranty should be able to answer that question.

Personally I wouldn't jump to the automatic assumption that it needs replacing all depends on how many miles have been covered while fitted and how well it's been looked after, if you are going to replace the chain from what I understand heavy duty chains have a longer life and need adjusting less often.

Phone the shop up and ask them if they've got five minutes to take a look and adjust your chain correctly, purchase some chain lube and cleaner while your their and then apply when at home (many rookie mistakes to be had in this process, believe me).

I really wouldn't ride it any further than to the shop as it sounds like it's far to loose at the moment, if you find that there is a cost incurred and you either are unwilling or unable to pay it then watching a few videos on youtube or purchasing the haynes manual for your year and model of bike may be of great way for you to learn the basic tasks required to keep your machine in as good a condition as possible.

As above, T&C's of the warranty should be able to answer that question.

Personally I wouldn't jump to the automatic assumption that it needs replacing all depends on how many miles have been covered while fitted and how well it's been looked after, if you are going to replace the chain from what I understand heavy duty chains have a longer life and need adjusting less often.

Phone the shop up and ask them if they've got five minutes to take a look and adjust your chain correctly, purchase some chain lube and cleaner while your their and then apply when at home (many rookie mistakes to be had in this process, believe me).

I really wouldn't ride it any further than to the shop as it sounds like it's far to loose at the moment, if you find that there is a cost incurred and you either are unwilling or unable to pay it then watching a few videos on youtube or purchasing the haynes manual for your year and model of bike may be of great way for you to learn the basic tasks required to keep your machine in as good a condition as possible.

Cheers for the advice. I'll be giving the shop a call in the morning and will hopefully take it down later in the day. I have lubed the chain but it seems to have made no difference.hopefully it will be sorted quickly (& cheaply)! I certainly won't be taking it out other than to have this issue sorted at the moment.

Don't bring up the subject of money if the shop doesn't, I've been in a few times and stood with the mechanics while they've made a few quick adjustments.. hasn't cost me a penny and as a result continued custom so pays off in the long run, admittedly my bikes also under warranty as is my first so probably should pick up a haynes manual myself as you only have to pay for one service to realise the true cost of not having the basic mechanical knowledge.

Just ask if there's a chance you could pop in and have it adjusted and also advised on when the chain and sprockets will next need replacing, might be work asking if the mechanic can show you themselves as they know what they're talking about (most of the time) and also its in their interest so that they're not receiving phone calls all the time asking about fairly easily solved issues.

Don't bring up the subject of money if the shop doesn't, I've been in a few times and stood with the mechanics while they've made a few quick adjustments.. hasn't cost me a penny and as a result continued custom so pays off in the long run, admittedly my bikes also under warranty as is my first so probably should pick up a haynes manual myself as you only have to pay for one service to realise the true cost of not having the basic mechanical knowledge.

Just ask if there's a chance you could pop in and have it adjusted and also advised on when the chain and sprockets will next need replacing, might be work asking if the mechanic can show you themselves as they know what they're talking about (most of the time) and also its in their interest so that they're not receiving phone calls all the time asking about fairly easily solved issues.

The shop that I bought it from have been helpful since I got it, so hopefully they will be again.

A friend bought a motorcycle from a trader with a poorly adjusted and probably quite poorly chain. It broke a few minutes down the road causing him to lose control and bin it. He had no trouble pointing out to the trader that a bad chain was the cause of the crash and got all his pennies back for the bike!

A new chain should cost you around £60 fitted.

but would prefer £0!

Machines are set up to be sold in roadworthy condition, it's the time before the sale spent inspecting the machine that faults should be spotted and pointed out and asked to be corrected, best to always go with someone to inspect it closely.

Since you've got limited warranty I'd advise taking it out for a decent run once you've got the chain sorted that way you can see if there's anything else that needs attending to best to use the warranty while you've got it.

A friend bought a motorcycle from a trader with a poorly adjusted and probably quite poorly chain. It broke a few minutes down the road causing him to lose control and bin it. He had no trouble pointing out to the trader that a bad chain was the cause of the crash and got all his pennies back for the bike!

A new chain should cost you around £60 fitted.

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

It's £70 just to buy the chain and fit it yourself on mine... And £125 with the sprockets... Shoulda bought a Kwak!