Spark Plugs

Guest Kc9400

Couldn't see a thread so figure I'll start one.

Any benefits to using Iridium or Platinum over Copper?

(Besides the fact that they have a longer expected life span)

They tend to have a pointy electrode so "concentrate" the spark (apparently).

Spikes are better for sparks. The spark will jump at a lower voltage with a spike rather than a blunt electrode - thats why lighting conductors are always pointy, so that the spark jumps from the conductor and not the surrounding (blunt) building.

Dont know if that will actually make a noticable difference on a road bike though.

Edited by Joeman

Only asking because if there isn't really any gain then the choice of spending either £12.99 a plug or £5 a plug is easily decided :)

I've had a bit of a read of some articles and it would seem that the benefits are seen more in high tuned cars.

I have used all sorts of plugs in the past and unless your on a highly tuned motor you cant tell the difference!

iridium has less resistance and offers a better spark and less load on the coil packs and will outlast any plug

On a 600cc bike I know the iridium's can run hotter and produce a more precise spark. But this only translates to a 1-2% increase in power. On a 125 or 250 you might feel the difference as they have so little to begin with, any change is felt, but on most bikes north of this, you won't notice anything on the road :)

The iridiums do last longer though so not exactly the worst idea to fit them.

What about side gapping the plug??

For those who arent familiar with what side gapping is..

Long story short... You cut the electrode down, so that its no longer sitting about the point, Rather, so that its beside it..

"apparently", it gives a better spark to the fuel, as the plug gap is now sideways, and direct to the fuel when detinating..

I seen it across the net, how racers have been doing this for years, and seen a difference, on dyno..

But personally i cant see how it would make any difference at all, let alone a noticeable difference...

Anyone shed some more light on the subject??

I wouldnt mind knowing results about it..

:cheers:

Some are! Others have two, or even 3, electrodes.

OE plugs for my GS have two electrodes.. the theory being as one erodes the spark switches over to the other as its now got a shorter gap.

Some are! Others have two, or even 3, electrodes.

You would get more improvement in performance by upgrading your fuel, changing the gearing and re-mapping.

NB. 'Go-Faster' stripes also work!

:mrgreen:

what? so basically the theory has some degree of actual sence to it?

Because, yeah, twin electrode plugs are side facing electrodes.

I dont really know much about it.. But there seams to be a fair bit of evidence behind it being true..

Like i said, if it did improve something, then im sure it wont be a noticeable improvement, But i guess every little helps :D

If the theory of side cutting is factual, in that it gives a cleaner burn, then i guess that would help against coking in the engine??

less coking, the better really.

Dont think i will bother trying it.. Not exactly going to notice a thing on a 125cc :lol:

But just wondered..