Stubborn fork seals.

Phooey

I am replacing the seal on my forks ... again ... the cheap chinese ones didn't last five minutes, anyway, they are proving stubborn and I think the bushes are jamming on each other instead of pushing the old seal out. (Using the usual pulling apart hammer technique.)

I don't have any fancy tools so does anyone know of a way I can get them out without special tools or damaging the stanchions?

Assuming you undone the damper in bottom of fork leg leaving top built up then once the damper is undone realease top cap and remove spring then remove dust cap where seal is and remove circlip that holds seal in then use like a slide hammer to drift seal out it should come out fairly easy

Assuming you undone the damper in bottom of fork leg leaving top built up then once the damper is undone realease top cap and remove spring then remove dust cap where seal is and remove circlip that holds seal in then use like a slide hammer to drift seal out it should come out fairly easy

That's the point, mate, done all that but the buggers won't shift. :(

Managed to get one out last night by repeatedly smacking it out ... slide hammer style. Took over an hour but it came out in the end.

Second one tomorrow morning.

Finally managed to get both of my legs apart. My God, that was tough! Now to clean them up and re-build.

OK, so what fork seals? Vesrah has been recommended.

Also, I have three quite rough pits. Can feel them with my fingers when I rub over them. What are your suggestions for smoothing these out? I have been told I could gently smooth them with 3200 wet and dry and fill the pits with 'chemical metal' ? :? ? and smooth them again with 3200 wet and dry. Others have said don't do it, get new stanchions! What do you think guys? I don't want to keep doing the seals every few months but I can't afford new stanchions really either.

If they are moving the seals then chances are they need replacing check prices online there might be some deals about on nos stansions

Moving the seals? I think they are scratching and braking the seals.

I think he means moving past the seals

It does sound as though that could be the main problem

I would be looking to replace the stantions to be honest rather then trying to repair them

they would probably repair but it will cost about the same as stantions!

Light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope you can start to relax as it seems you've had a bit of a mare with this job

Yes, Deso. It does feel a bit like that. To be honest I'm more pissed off that the bike has been out of action since our little get together at 'Bob's closed Cafe' at Malary, (sorry couldn't resist), because on the return journey I noticed oil pissing from the left fork. And since I had it all apart thought it made sense to do a few other little things like the brakes etc, except the forks caused some real hassle. Still going to be a month before I can get it running again because the rechroming is a 3 week job.

Just hope the summer is a long, long one. I have some riding to catch up on!