getting a job

A40man

things have changed radically it seems, i can recall people joining the organisation i worked for who had effectively been the only applicant for the job

forward to now and .... all sorts of assessments, presentations, essays required before you can even stand a chance of a possible/elusive interview :shock:

Just as hard from the other side too! Much has to do with the compulsory applicants that don't want to work. That means hundred of applicants filtered through, of which 95% is crud. For example - some answers; Education; "N/A I live in the City". ????? Experience; "I watched my father buy stuff from shops as a kid" ????

There are so many more it is frightening! Plough on and you will find something. Any management experience?

The job I have now required a full day because it entailed...

4 Interviews, from HR to heads of discipline, a maths test, a group challenge, I think to see who took leadership, and a personality test.

There were a couple of hundred applicants, 6 interviewees, and then I was the one they chose :shock:

No wonder the country is down the shitter...

Job applications should be made more simple, they seem good, their qualifications check out, hire them on a 12 month probation basis so if they act up they can be set loose without any repercussions. Simples... Or is it?

Made me think of the interview for my current job Fozz - same sort of thing with a group "thought exercise" about some people trapped in a mine filling with water - one of those "who to save" type jobbies. I gave my opinion at the beginning and zoned out for the next half hour. My decisive nature was noted on my feedback - they clearly didn't notice that I was bored and couldn't be arsed. :-)

Horses for courses for interviews I think - people joining an organisation that require certain skills need to prove they have said skills and that they're a good team fit - stuff like service, retail and such just need to demonstrate they're willing to learn, straight up and not rob you blind. When I was running retail stores, the best candidates were those who came in, asked for a job and passed the personality test - it all went to bollocks when HR decided they wanted to centralise recruitment. :roll:

My job interview consisted of turning up, talking about my experience and skills for an hour or so, then proving what I could do on a temporary contract for a few months before getting a permanent offer, and a further 6 months of probation after that. Worked my arse off as always, exceeded the job role, and ended up with a better job than the one they originally recruited me for, a promotion to a senior role after two years, my own office, and a couple of decent pay rises along the way :thumb:

Stuff the interview process, the world needs more employers that focus less on trying (and failing) to get someone absolutely perfect from the word go and focus more on getting a bunch of "maybe" types in the door and rewarding and taking full advantage of the ones that hit the ground running!

The job I have now required a full day because it entailed...

4 Interviews, from HR to heads of discipline, a maths test, a group challenge, I think to see who took leadership, and a personality test.

There were a couple of hundred applicants, 6 interviewees, and then I was the one they chose :shock:

No wonder the country is down the shitter...

Job applications should be made more simple, they seem good, their qualifications check out, hire them on a 12 month probation basis so if they act up they can be set loose without any repercussions. Simples... Or is it?

HR have made an empire out of all this smoke & mirrors, it reminds me of the episode in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy when all the bureaucrats were expelled on a spaceship :lol:

I work in the NHS which is pretty much a job for life.

problem is you may work your bollocks off and get nowhere, someone who constantly cocks up gets promoted, normally to get them out of the role they cant do.

hence "failing upwards"

I worked hard for my job here, but i have been promoted and I watch the guy who they employed to take over my old role, and he does the minimum... management know this but do nothing as the HR system would take too long to get him removed.

I did here of a guy who went sick for 6 months with a "back injury", and then took the hospital to court for compensation... so the trust was not in the news they paid him off. he came back to work and then 3 months down the line he goes off sick again....

Why work when you can scam a failing system.

my jobs utter crap, wish had stuck with the training hardware engineer I had few years back. But just wasn't getting on with the people that worked there.

but now im stuck in a daft supermarket full of bloody brown noses, and it's gotten to the stage where when they do interviews , even the people that are good for the job and show that they really want it , they do not get it. Either a family member or friend of the person that does the interviews gets the job.

So now the place is full of a long line of arse lickers. That will grass you in in a heart beat. and full of double standard garbage. One rule for one, completely different rule for others.

Been looking at going back to college but unfortunately due to my circumstances I would have to pay for it ( usually free in Scotland ). and due to my health I can't do what I initially went to college to study many years ago.

bahumbug

but a jobs a job , I moan but I really shouldn't as there is people who would do anything for a job.