A2 to catagory A help??!

Guest pie1238

Hello, i took my catagory A2 licence a year ago and Im now 24 so i would like to go in for the test again but not with a traning school. A friend has offered to let me use his bike and he can drive it down to the test center for me but im stuggling to find insurance for the day to take the test, has anyone got any experience with this or know of any insurance companies that may temp cover me for the test thanks, phil

Since the bike is already insured I think you need to get him to add you to his policy, since two insurance companies cannot insure the same bike.

That's my understanding of insurance anyways. I may be wrong.

Remember the da or A test requires a higher level of riding on the mod 2 than the A2 test, you need to show development of your riding skills achieved from 2 extra years riding experience. Eg. Overtakes, appropriate acceleration, smooth joining of traffic flow at roundabouts, good use of mirrors and head checks where appropriate etc. Good luck :thumb:

Remember the da or A test requires a higher level of riding on the mod 2 than the A2 test, you need to show development of your riding skills achieved from 2 extra years riding experience. Eg. Overtakes, appropriate acceleration, smooth joining of traffic flow at roundabouts, good use of mirrors and head checks where appropriate etc. Good luck :thumb:

How the hell does the examiner know what you where like first time road? I guess he could look at your last observation sheet and think he got x minors for Y offenses???

Either way good on you go for it I think that for some people who have ridden allot on CBT some schools are taking money for old rope with to many lessons for A licenses....

this is not true at all!!

you are expected to reach a certain level of competence to pass the test as set out by the dvsa regardless of how long you have been riding

Come on guys, BB is going out with Glenn who has a business doing "bike training" that she's only advertised once so far. I'm sure she knows what she's talking about.

Stu I completely agree with you, my post must've been misinterpreted... When examiners take any rider out for their mod 2 for direct access, they expect them to demonstrate they have 'riding experience', and are capable of handling a larger powered machine re acceleration- after all you can ride an r1, zx10 straight after this test (unlike the restricted A2test)they need you to show you have the skill set to not kill yourself straight off. These skills are gained through time on road or can be taught by a riding school. And yes some schools rip people off for more lessons than they need, or teach them at a slow rate in order to get more money out of their clients. I hope this clears my original post up and stops people getting angry! We all love biking here! :3some:

Come on guys, BB is going out with Glenn who has a business doing "bike training" that she's only advertised once so far. I'm sure she knows what she's talking about.

Jesus are you all suffering from pmt atm??! You are very observant Mr fro, I mentioned it yes, not here to advertise, it was mentioned to clarify where my info comes from- I thought sharing my knowledge learned from running the business might be helpful. I joined as I am currently going through mod 1, and am now on the other side if the wall so to speak- I am finding things difficult and am learning a lot from the posts. Every time I get on a Bike I'm in tears but I'm a stubborn goat and I will pass the bloody test! I love all things bike, I just want to enjoy riding on my own, just like all of you. So BE NICE lol

Stu I completely agree with you, my post must've been misinterpreted... When examiners take any rider out for their mod 2 for direct access, they expect them to demonstrate they have 'riding experience', and are capable of handling a larger powered machine re acceleration- after all you can ride an r1, zx10 straight after this test (unlike the restricted A2test)they need you to show you have the skill set to not kill yourself straight off. These skills are gained through time on road or can be taught by a riding school. And yes some schools rip people off for more lessons than they need, or teach them at a slow rate in order to get more money out of their clients. I hope this clears my original post up and stops people getting angry! We all love biking here! :3some:

Not getting angry here

its the same test as the A2 just on a more powerful bike

all you are doing is demonstrating that you can ride a bike safely regardless of its size

Any update on this?

When i'm 24 i'm wanting to do this. but with my own bike from the a2? I believe you can use the er6f for the full test?

Would I have to ride there and take the throttle restriction out there?

as i'd be insured I cannot see a problem with that, any one with experience there?