Worried to buy a helmet online incase it's dropped!!

Yes if the drop is significant enough. It compresses the inner wadding so there is little or no absorbtion.

If your lid arrived all boxed and the box is in good shape then your golden if not them return or complain. Also inspect lid when unboxing

it has to be a pretty hard drop to damage a helmet with no head inside.

my personal opinion on this is that to compress the inner foam of an empty helmet (without the weight of a head inside ) the drop would need to be hard enough to deform the outer shell and this would leave visible marks in the paintwork.

I bought mine from helmetcity.co.uk and it arrived double boxed, with some of those big air pocket pads in it. Helmet and inside box was perfectly intact and I am not concerned about it's integrity. The outisde box has some wear on the corners, but nothing major.