Dead Ninja

Hoggs

It's on my to do list! Right after scratching my chin. As well as that nap i'm in sore need of :thumb:

Mine was a pain untill i figured it out.. couldnt ride it far because it broke down for the sake of it. Happened on the A12 during rush hour once, Fortunately i was about 100M from a lay-by and coasted it with the clutch in, hazards on :D

Hey Chris, I replaced the plugs a while back they had a very thin white covering (not crusty like in the bottom left picture in your link) which I think means it's running a bit rich? The plugs were all in good nick otherwise.

Glorian I am outraged you can't be bothered to read the very very exciting thread about all the crap my bike has been doing :lol:

White or brown Mate? White would suggest the engine is running lean. A blackened plug would indicate the engine running rich as in the pic's

White would suggest the engine is running lean.

annnnnnd this is why I need help :lol: Yeah defo more white than brown. I think I still have them if visuals required!

White would suggest the engine is running lean.

annnnnnd this is why I need help :lol: Yeah defo more white than brown. I think I still have them if visuals required!

Be good to pop a pic up, I would not go any further than getting the fuelling and carbs check over. Could be something as silly as a dirty fuel filter or blocked fuel,vent or vacuum pipe if all the plugs are the same colour. If one of the plugs where a different colour then that would indicate issues with that individual cylinder you have already said the coolant and oil is ok and I'm assuming no rattles. So look for the basic's faults first before being sucked into open surgery.

The more l read into this the more l suspect a weak perished vacuum or fuel pipe or pipes. The pipes will be fine when cold but once the engine warms and up the heat radiates out to the fuel - vacuum pipes this will make them go soft causing a partial collapse and your issues.

the throttle isnt electronic controlled its wrist controlled tps would be in a fuel injected bike

Some carbed bikes do have a TPS, this one and late model mk1 blades being two i can think of. I did mention the throttle is cable actuated earlier in the thread.

The more l read into this the more l suspect a weak perished vacuum or fuel pipe or pipes. The pipes will be fine when cold but once the engine warms and up the heat radiates out to the fuel - vacuum pipes this will make them go soft causing a partial collapse and your issues.

We ran it up to temp and (with gloves on!) gave the pipes a squeeze and they seemed to be holding up ok but only checked the ones I could access with the fairing off.

I've had a whole tank of redex'd fuel go through now and on to tank 2, it does seem to be running better (I am aware I have just cursed it....) no backfire or wild idling fluctuations at temp when stopped. So gunky carb floats a possibility?

She is quite old bless (2001) and as people have mentioned possibility of lots of small issues randomly flaring up. Only done 15k so maybe been sat around doing nowt for long periods!

I'm a complete noob so appreciate all the input (that I then read up about in the ole Haynes manual so at least I know where all the bits are and how to get to them!)

• 1 month later...

I've read the whole thread, no ideas as to what's up, but as I have a J1 zx6 that has a knackered gearbox, I've got a replacement engine that I'm needing to put in sometime very soon, I've gained lots of info as to problems I may find.

Thanks for the inadvertent help Hoggs!

Haha you're welcome! Been running redex through for a couple of months which seems to have fixed some issues. .. only backfires when it's really cold now! It also has a stupidly high idle from cold on the choke (will be fine at 1500 for about 20 seconds then shoots up to 3000 turn choke down slightly and it's fine...)

Although on the way home there was a clunking sound... had a check round and nothing obvious but I may be starting a new thread soon!

Although on the way home there was a clunking sound... had a check round and nothing obvious but I may be starting a new thread soon!

Fingers crossed you won't be 8-)

They do that choke thing, I had a m reg one years back, it did the same, and the head gasket did go on that!

I'm sure there will be a few sweary words and threads from me as I swap the engines over, then it will get thrashed as hard as possible on the track by way of punishment.

I've not actually riden this bike, I bought it cheap as a track bike (it's road legal though), my father in law has used it and I had to use my gsxr, then the gearbox went and he bought a gsxr600 for himself and left me with the repair!

Thanks JRH! hopefully it's something silly like crud caught under the hugger....

Well good to know the high idle is "normal" but if the head gasket goes I may cry. I'm rather attached to the ole gal as she's my first bike :mrgreen:

engine swap isnt to hard a job to do one of the worst bits will be getting all the exhaust studs undone without shearing any off not that it mater as the engine is being changed but can lead to skinned knuckles as they shear lol

It's not the first one I've done, pretty handy with the spanners as rode mx for years and got quite good at rebuilding engines.

One of the exhaust studs is snapped on the replacement engine, will either get it out or spot weld the exhaust onto it! Don't expect the bike to last too much longer with track use and mrs going to use once she passes her test.

..i would have scrapped the fecker by now

:shock: she's really not that bad!! Done almost 1000 miles and only had a small break down, a puncture and a few backfires! Reckon she's easily got another 15 years in her ;)

Haha I've broken down a lot more! And my running costs are considerably higher [emoji38]

Burn alcohol like some vehicles burn oil?

obviously your ninja is a female ninja.... to have that many issues :P