Moral dilemma

MarkW

On Friday I received an email from a Czech company, asking for my help in registering their new dual-action amenity fungicide. Because this product has two active ingredients and is for use in sports turf they have decided to call it 'Double Header'. You see the problem.

Now, do I tell them what this term means in the English speaking world, or do I say nothing and let them carry on? Hmm... Tricky one...

It's a two headed dildo, my nans got one.

Mate, every time I see your name in a thread I know I'm going to be laughing! :lol:

:thumb:

Better laughing than screaming like my nan :D

Ha ha!

Many years ago I worked for a Dutch pesticide company that would insist on my participation in interminable marketing meetings, usually to decide on the name for a new product. I know nothing about marketing, so to alleviate the boredom I used to propose wholly unsuitable names that they might not fully understand, and see how long it took before they realised.

I am ashamed to say that TWAT! and FIST! both came dangerously close to being launched in Europe. :oops:

I see strange signs all the time on my travels.. but its rare they make me almost fall off the bike laughing, or turn around and go back to take a photo.

until this in Italy:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/motobiker/2011/Image64.jpg~original

• 2 weeks later...

Have they contacted you as part of your job/profession? If so then you should at the very least warn them of the associations with the phrase in the UK, even if its the sporting "two events on the same day one after another" or the rail-roading term.

Then you can chuck the Urban Dictionary definitions in for laughs.

I dont think they will be put off, but at least you have done due diligence with your work. If I was looking to market or sell my products in another country, I would hope that anyone i work with in that country would warn me if I was launching a product that translated badly :thumb:

professional post>

It works the other way round too ... The word "mist" in German means "excrement". (e.g. Entschuldigung Sie bitte, wo darf ich den Mist machen? Doch, ich muss es ja bald! ... Zu spät. Es ist gekommt. Tut mir leid ...)