Bike Shed - metal or wood?

Phooey

Metal gets bad condensation problems! I'd stick with wood.

It's easier on the eye, but also adaptable, and less conspicuous. A thief might wonder "why the extra strength to keep people out?" to a metal shed.

Get some metal plate (2-3mm thick ) and an angle grinder + drill. Just cut pieces to reinforce entry points thieves would use by bolting it on, like the door and any vulnerable part of the side wall.

Don't bother with a window as it's an easy access point and you can see inside.

You want a unsuspecting shed, with no windows, and a lot of internal strength to stop people getting in. :thumb:

Just my two pence worth!

Wood for me, as already said steel is a nightmare for condensation unless you put a second skin inside it. Security wise a braced door, alarm and camera is all but a deterrent, if the pro's come knocking there's gear out there to do a bank.

cheers guys ... condensation even if plenty of ventilation is created?

Helps it but doesn't stop it I've found. Prefer wood any day now!

My concrete one has condensation on all of the tools, it's getting a lot of work to stop it soon!

Condensation forms where the warm air comes into contact with the cold surface. Warm air rises so this happens at the ceiling.

Only sure fire way to stop the condensation is to eliminate the cold surface.

I've got a metal roof on my garage and to prevent condensation I've applied expanding foam directly to the underside of the roof.

This eliminates the cold surface and prevents condensation forming.

Forced ventilation might work but you defeating the object of keeping your bike warm and dry. The moisture that's generated inside a steel or concrete sheds through condensation ends up knackering the fabric of your bike, corrosion - rusting of the metal work, oxidizing of alloys and verdigrises' on the electrical cables and components.

I've seen the end results of it many times over the years, worse case was a jag car that was garaged in a concrete garage, the guy went to get it out and found all his lovely black leather seats had turn green with mould.

ok ... So it looks like the two options are either metal shed and lag the roof with foam or pay twice the price for a decent wood shed. The decent sized and well constructed sheds are bloody expensive.

Plenty to think about. Cheers guys.

:cheers:

Metal sheds are crap.

Deffinetly buy wooden one.

I wouldnt be arsed about buying sheet steel to make it stronger though, otherwise you would end up doing the full shed and then you might aswell of borght a metal one.

Its held together buy pins and even if you went to the hassel of screwing everything down they would just lift the roof off because the roofs made of 8mm board.

Buy wooden,dont put huge lock on the outside, fit ground anchor inside.

Job done.

I have got a 10x8 steel (more like tin foil :D ) Yardmaster shed.

Its built on a wooden platform,and the floor is all wood.

So far this winter, condensation has not been a problem, get more drips from where the self tappers join the sheets together.

I have a ground anchor under the floor in a block of concrete, and a shed alarm, and a auto security light.

It does the job of keeping the elements off the bike,

I can work on the bike in there too,

But if someone wanted to get in it, it would not be that hard,

The steel! is very thin, could cut it with a Stanley knife!.

When we go away on holiday i would not risk leaving the bike in the shed.

It comes in through the patio doors into our spare room. :D

Any idea of a price you want to pay? If you go down the steel route l would fit a studded frame inside then sandwich some polystyrene sheets between 10mm external plywood to do it properly. It should not cost you a fortune if your handy with the tools.

With regard to money, depends if the missus gets her own way or not. I would be looking at around £500 for shed leaving me £4500 for bike ... the ever practical mostly gets her own way missus, says f**k the cost of shed and pay what you need for shed and spend that much less on a bike. Can't make her realise that if they want the bike they'll get it.

I would prefer something I can move around in though ... something like 10' x 8' would mean that I could still do little maintenance jobs and keep a toolbox handy. Anything less and it would be too cramped.

I use something along thiese lines

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... wgodFEMBRw

Along with some paving slabs from local builder yard. Works really well keeps bike warm and dry, Plus its a great spot to work on the bike.

I like the sound of one of these, Plenty of room for the bike and other bits and bobs too.