CBT - Experiences of other Members

I have booked a lesson next week on a twist&go. Oh, the shame. Still as it's my balance and steering I need to sort out, it does make sense to take the gears out of the equation for a while.

The girl taking the booking said "We'll put you on an automatic for next time and then we'll take it from there."

What does that mean? that they are already considering that I might not make it? that they've already decided I'm useless and hopeless? How I wish I could manage not to over-think things! Maybe she just meant what she said literally, with no reading between the lines or dark hints of failure.

And if they say "Go, never darken our doors again," that doesn't mean I have to give up,does it? I can go elsewhere, or practice on private roads till I'm ready to do my CBT again :bang: :bang:

I have booked a lesson next week on a twist&go. Oh, the shame. Still as it's my balance and steering I need to sort out, it does make sense to take the gears out of the equation for a while.

The girl taking the booking said "We'll put you on an automatic for next time and then we'll take it from there."

What does that mean? that they are already considering that I might not make it? that they've already decided I'm useless and hopeless? How I wish I could manage not to over-think things! Maybe she just meant what she said literally, with no reading between the lines or dark hints of failure.

And if they say "Go, never darken our doors again," that doesn't mean I have to give up,does it? I can go elsewhere, or practice on private roads till I'm ready to do my CBT again :bang: :bang:

No shame in it. get used to pootling on 2 wheels. learn the balance etc required on a twist n go before dropping the clutch into the equation. once you get it - you get it! We all learn at different rates - there's no shame in that. You'll get there soon.

lol

Well done you. Keep us all up to date.

You'll back at this one day with a wry smile.

Had another session today on a wash & go. Didn't fall off :o didn't break the bike :o The instructor praised me :o

Next CBT booked - unfortunately I can't do this till 12th July due to prior commitments, but still, it's good that he thinks I'm ready for it.

I was SO nervous, today was make-or-break day as far as I was concerned, and right at the start my nerve failed completely and I didn't even think I was going to be able to move at all. But it was okay. It's like a giant pushbike.

I've never driven an automatic car so it took a bit of getting used to that you can't slow down using the gears, so that was something else to learn.

And how come 20 mph when I was driving felt so much faster that 80 mph on the back of my husband's bike yesterday?

Since I can't find the edit button, I'll have to do this here. Sorry if this bores you but I do feel pleased with myself. My only two aims for today were 1: Don't fall off, 2: Stop panicking about the wobbles. And I did exceed those.

I had an hour's session on a Wash and Go (I know, I know - but it seems so girly :oops: I might as well call it that)

It was okay. I was so nervous when I first got on I was like a baby, almost in tears and saying "I can't do it! I can't do it!"

But the first thing was, because it was a scooter, it was much easier to keep upright whilst stationary and twisting the throttle. And it felt much better even at that very slow speed moving forward. The instructor came and stood behind me, like everybody's dad but mine when they are teaching the children to ride a bike (my dad wasn't the sort who helped and he wouldn't let me have a bicycle anyway), and because I thought maybe he had his hand on the back, I was able to go forward.

Of course it's basically a pushbike with a motor: the brakes are in the same place. All I had to get used to was that counter-intuitive feeling of turning my hand back towards myself to go faster, and forward away from myself to slow down.

I didn't fall off once and was soon doing figures-of-eight and reasonably tight turns, and then all the way up to a dizzying 15 - 20 miles an hour. I could do with a long straight stretch to increase the speed, because although I can see that there's plenty of room to slow down before the end of the car park where we practice, I don't feel as though there is, and that inhibits me from getting up the speed. The instructor said he didn't see me wobble and just kept encouraging me, the only correction he made was to tell me to hold the throttle properly rather than what I was doing, which was basically using my forefinger and thumb so I could hover the rest of my hand over the brake! :roll:

• 4 weeks later...

Well my gf had her cbt today she wanted me to tag along so I went to the training ground with her. She done great, all manouvers she got straight away. Having only rode a bike twice in the last couple weeks for me to teach her the basics. Then came the ride from training ground to the riding school for lunch, which she panicked. I lead so she could copy my direction, road position, indication and observation ect and she dome great got back in one piece and felt great. After much headed out again to an industrial estate to do e stop and u turn which she done great on e stop and ok on u turn (one of the turns she done in half the width of the road so took us by surprise.) How ever the ride there was great apart from turning into the ind estate she didn't tip and turn the corner sharp enough for her speed and ended up in other lane.

When she was done with her turns I headed off to the riding school to sit in the shade as it was hott today. She comes back and she is close to tears......

Turns out the instructor wanted her to come back anyways because of her clutch control but more importantly she went in a lil hot to a corner (90 degree) with a crossing straight round the corner and panicked went into other lane towards oncoming car and grabbed a fist full of brake and spilled the bike at 20mph bike landed on her leg. But she got back up on the bike and rode back to test center, she is a lil bruised but all in all ok. She will be going back for another road session hopefully end of next week

All in all I'm proud of how well she done given she has NO confidence at the best of times. Might surprise her with her own bike to cheer her up and spur her on and get some clutch control practice in.

Well done her, I can really relate to that and good on her for getting back on and finishing it off. It's all about practice and if she had something to practise on between sessions she'd soon get it. She'll get a little better each time and will soon be looking back on this and feeling proud of herself.

So after joining up on here a few months ago, and after debating getting into biking for over 5 years I booked my CBT on Sunday. A local school - Able in Trowbridge, Wiltshire - rang me back within 6 hours of me emailing, asking for a slot and I was booked in for Wednesday (today!)

This morning I set off and drove round to a local secondary school they use for training. I had already bought most of the kit I'd need so no need to borrow anything, got a nice Hein Gericke leather jacket. MT helmet, some boots, HG gloves.

The guys running the course were really nice and friendly, and I was with an Aussie lady who's been riding 125's for around 4 yrs, so was renewing her CBT for the 3rd time, and a chap a few years younger than me, resitting after crashing into the kerb and coming off a moped on his first CBT a few weeks ago. Now, I'd never ever ridden a motorbike in my life before, hadn't even gone pillion, so I was the least experienced of the group.

After the briefing, theory type bits and pieces, we got the bikes running...I found it a little strange, as I said, I had zero experience of motorbikes, but 7 years driving a car. However I was given the time to practice everything, and re-practice if either I or the instructor wasn't completely happy, which was very relaxing and put me at ease! The chap on the moped who crashed last time wasn't getting on so well, he was shaking like a leaf and just wasn't getting on well with his machine, he decided not to continue, at 11am :(

First trip out on the roads was awesome, as was the pit stop burger (!) We took it in turns leading and got excellent feedback from Lee the instructor, no issues with the ride but I hadn't completely nailed the u turn and had to repeat that once or twice. We came back around 3pm and both myself & my Aussie friend had passed :) Would definitely recommend Mark & Lee at Able in Trowbridge, Wilts.

Very pleased with myself, and now debating whether to get a 125 for road experience or go and do some lessons and do DAS (I'm 24). Any thoughts or recommendations?

I fancy a CBR125 or YBR125 but end result has to be a GSF Bandit 600.

You go for it scaredylady just relax and take a few deep breaths you can do this and were all rooting for you, I admire your persitance and it proves that you want to ride a bike or you would have given up by now, just think of the grin factor you will have when you have that certificate in your hand :-)

Thank you, staningrimsby, I go again Friday evening (the 8th).

I've had my daughter visiting from Australia for the last five weeks, so I've had other things going on, plus not wanting to take too much time away from her - even just being in the same house was good. Now she's gone back :( so no excuses!

Well done. That makes me so jealous! I'm having my third go next week - not entirely my own fault but there has been a long gap between my first and second tries, so I forgot everything. Well done you.

Thank you, good luck for next week, keep us updated :)

• 2 weeks later...

did my CBT today, i must say it was the best day of my life, i did not pass, didnt even make it to going out on the road, but what a excellent day out, at first i was full of nerves. by the final 2 hours i was twisting in and out of cones opening up the throttle on the training ground. we learned controlled stopping which i need some more work, kept putting my right leg down instead of my left. had a go at E- stopping, no problems. im booked in again soon and next time im going on the road. the guy learning us was so cool, and he feels me and the other student had really improved from arriving in the morning, one guy passed his CBT. he had rider before, cant wait till next time when were on the road, just opening that throttle up on the training ground, i must of had a smile the size of blackpool tower on my face, great day cant wait for next time, so glad i decided to do this. ok, i missed out afew cones at first, and even stalled a couple of times, but by the end of day i was very happy and so was my instructor. he feels were ready for the road, but by that time we were ready it was the end of day and rush hour traffic. so i really cant wait for next time.

i said it was the best day of my life, im not lieing, it really was the best day ever!!!! first time on a motorbike im in love.

Good to hear you got the bug, and nerves are dussapearing. Being in the road is another beast so take your time and appreciate that cars arnt like cones (they move) and you will be fine. You picked out a lil bike yet to get

thanks, yeah the bug has bitten me big time. i have no idea why i didnt do this sooner, i feel ive lost out on so much. thanks for advice on the road. im pretty sensible person, im not the type to put myself or others in danger. but yeah as you say, its a different beast. i will go steady! i had my heart set on a honda xr 125, for when i get through the CBT, but after training on a yamaha ybr 125. i think i may get a ybr. i love the looks of the honda xr 125 though, so im abit torn between the two. we'll see...

i really cant wait till next time, i feel this is life changing.

Done my CBT today with Phoenix in Maidstone. They were recommended to me by a friend of a friend.

I was quite nervous after we done our theory bit on the way to the pad. Started off ok moving around on the bike and learning how too look after it (basics). Then although I done a bit on a free taster day a while ago, could I do a figure of 8 or u turn or basic clutch control, could I bollocks! So frustrated! And their lay the problem. Frustration is the worst way to be ive discovered.

After a self kick up the arse and a few words I managed to get it done! BE CALM, TAKE A BREATH! :-)

Next we had lunch, went through the essentials of turning in to main and major roads, roundabouts etc.

Got out onto the road, and the weirdest thing happened. I seemed take to it like a duck to water! I loved it! More relaxed, and confident but not too much!

My hands kept on going a bit numb, I think it was me being too tense maybe!

In all, I done it and very pleased!

Ben the instructor was very good, Lagunas I really like, and Phoenix have been really helpful!

• 5 weeks later...

I went for my first CBT in July 2014, I'd had a quick go of a 125 at the NEC bike show with a mate who rides (a few years before) but that had been literally sitting on it, demonstration of the controls and managing to get it rolling.

I turned up with no kit other than I was wearing some Altberg boots. All the others had some experience of riding bikes, but some were non drivers. I have a fair bit of driving experience and am in the Police. I just had it in my head that I would come off, way too tense and was not in safe control of the bike in terms of co-ordinating the brakes, clutch and throttle. I was rolling the throttle on when applying the front brake and was very lucky not to come off the bike when doing slow maneuvres.

I went back 5 weeks later and had told myself that I was wearing their safety kit and proper footwear, and to accept if it went wrong it would hurt. I found it a lot easier on the car park but my clutch control was not brilliant. Out onto the road ride I found my tenseness affected my ability to turn as well as I should and the hand controls. I had one moment of target distraction where I rode towards a solid line on a bend, but recovered it, and one stall which I had under control, as passed.

I was advised to go and get a 125 and get some miles under my belt, before considering DAS. The instructors said my planning and anticipation on the road was fine but my control of the bike could get me into big trouble on a big bike so I went and got the gear and a YBR 125.

I am loving it!