CBT - Experiences of other Members

Just got home from my CBT...

Turn up and there are two others on the course for today, at 35 I was pleasantly surprised I was the youngest there, no 16 year olds on peds in sight. One is on his own 125 scooter that he rode in, he is a regular face and comes back every 2 years to re-do his as he doesn't want to do his test, the other is on a geared and used to ride 20 years ago and wants to get back into it so I am the only fresh learner that's never been on a geared bike, but hey I can drive, how bad can it be?

(I will skip talking about all the standard talks, controls, etc... and jump straight to riding section) We line up, in a large private car park belonging to the centre, and need to do a large oval, I am the first told set off so off I go (without stalling!) get to where I need to turn and manage about 150 degrees of the required 180 before I notice a nice bush that I become fixated with, mount the kerb and manage to stop just millimeters away from said bush. At this point I am now thinking what am I doing! After a quick chat about looking where I want to go I set off again and this time no more problems and can now drive in nice big ovals.

Next up is figure 8's which I was extremely nervous about, but done one that whilst it could be seen from the international space station was acceptable for them, then some more ovals this time going up to 2nd on first straight, turning keeping it in 2nd for the turn and then up to 3rd in next straight before going back down to 1st for the opposite turn. I was 'OK' and nothing really of note with that. Next up "controlled stop" (apparently no longer called emergency stop) and absolutely nailed it, spot on no issues and tester even asked if I had switched places with a twin brother since I first started!

Then came the junction work... two fake junctions on each end of the oval, one an exit from a main road into a side street where for the exercise it will be clear (e.g. go through the motions of indicators, looking, etc...) then a slow turn all the way round and back up to other end of course where the 2nd junction is a side road onto main road which will not be clear (e.g. come to complete stop, then set off again once clear). This is about the time when brain decided to just shut down and it went terrible. The "clear" junction was 'ok' but bouncy, doing indicators, checks, etc... I just could not get clutch control right. The junction where I had to stop was worse. I just could not get going again and stalled every single time, often two/three times and ended up hopping bike round.

After this was meant to be road briefing and road side of CBT this is where I was asked if I was feeling confident to go on road, I said I would like to practice that more and was promptly told that he needs to take others on the road and he cannot leave me unattended on a CBT so that was it my CBT was over! I was gutted... but... he then turns round and says that he don't often do this but as I have now been kicked off the CBT he is going to lend me one of his bikes to ride around on his land as long as I am sensible etc... I stuck around for road briefing anyway, then they all left to hit the road and I am alone in a nice big car park.

Well they were gone for what seemed like hours and the practice I got on my own was worth the cost of CBT alone, I practiced the pulling away and my figure 8's which was on advice of the instructor as it was my clutch control needing the work, without the pressure of anyone looking at me it came together nicely I built up a lot of confidence with the bike where before I would be scared to put foot up at anything below the speed of sound I was poodling along at walking speed with my foot up as soon as bike was moving, I got figure of 8's tighter than I ever thought I would be able to do with bike on full lock with my foot up and at a nice slow speed, clutch control improved drastically and by the time they got back I was right up with my confidence level.

Obviously still come away without CBT and need to re-book but going to get that ASAP tbh if he had left it at kicking me off and I had to go after that I probably would have 2nd thoughts about going back but that extra time gave me a huge confidence boost and absolutely top notch instructor!

Just got home from my CBT...

Turn up and there are two others on the course for today, at 35 I was pleasantly surprised I was the youngest there, no 16 year olds on peds in sight. One is on his own 125 scooter that he rode in, he is a regular face and comes back every 2 years to re-do his as he doesn't want to do his test, the other is on a geared and used to ride 20 years ago and wants to get back into it so I am the only fresh learner that's never been on a geared bike, but hey I can drive, how bad can it be?

(I will skip talking about all the standard talks, controls, etc... and jump straight to riding section) We line up, in a large private car park belonging to the centre, and need to do a large oval, I am the first told set off so off I go (without stalling!) get to where I need to turn and manage about 150 degrees of the required 180 before I notice a nice bush that I become fixated with, mount the kerb and manage to stop just millimeters away from said bush. At this point I am now thinking what am I doing! After a quick chat about looking where I want to go I set off again and this time no more problems and can now drive in nice big ovals.

Next up is figure 8's which I was extremely nervous about, but done one that whilst it could be seen from the international space station was acceptable for them, then some more ovals this time going up to 2nd on first straight, turning keeping it in 2nd for the turn and then up to 3rd in next straight before going back down to 1st for the opposite turn. I was 'OK' and nothing really of note with that. Next up "controlled stop" (apparently no longer called emergency stop) and absolutely nailed it, spot on no issues and tester even asked if I had switched places with a twin brother since I first started!

Then came the junction work... two fake junctions on each end of the oval, one an exit from a main road into a side street where for the exercise it will be clear (e.g. go through the motions of indicators, looking, etc...) then a slow turn all the way round and back up to other end of course where the 2nd junction is a side road onto main road which will not be clear (e.g. come to complete stop, then set off again once clear). This is about the time when brain decided to just shut down and it went terrible. The "clear" junction was 'ok' but bouncy, doing indicators, checks, etc... I just could not get clutch control right. The junction where I had to stop was worse. I just could not get going again and stalled every single time, often two/three times and ended up hopping bike round.

After this was meant to be road briefing and road side of CBT this is where I was asked if I was feeling confident to go on road, I said I would like to practice that more and was promptly told that he needs to take others on the road and he cannot leave me unattended on a CBT so that was it my CBT was over! I was gutted... but... he then turns round and says that he don't often do this but as I have now been kicked off the CBT he is going to lend me one of his bikes to ride around on his land as long as I am sensible etc... I stuck around for road briefing anyway, then they all left to hit the road and I am alone in a nice big car park.

Well they were gone for what seemed like hours and the practice I got on my own was worth the cost of CBT alone, I practiced the pulling away and my figure 8's which was on advice of the instructor as it was my clutch control needing the work, without the pressure of anyone looking at me it came together nicely I built up a lot of confidence with the bike where before I would be scared to put foot up at anything below the speed of sound I was poodling along at walking speed with my foot up as soon as bike was moving, I got figure of 8's tighter than I ever thought I would be able to do with bike on full lock with my foot up and at a nice slow speed, clutch control improved drastically and by the time they got back I was right up with my confidence level.

Obviously still come away without CBT and need to re-book but going to get that ASAP tbh if he had left it at kicking me off and I had to go after that I probably would have 2nd thoughts about going back but that extra time gave me a huge confidence boost and absolutely top notch instructor!

I didn't have much confidence to go out on the road either, but I must say it's a lot easier! There's more room to do the manouvers and with your extra practice you will be fine with the clutch control :). I agree, doing things alone is much better without the pressure of onlookers!

Well went back today, what a difference a week makes!

This time had 2 younger people there, one on a ped and one on a geared and an older guy on a ped. The two on peds had never ridden before and the guy on geared had only ridden a ped before. So from being the most useless suddenly I am top of class and being asked to demonstrate all the maneuvers to the others.

Off the road section went fine nothing really to note, the older guy on ped struggled a lot (nearly went into same bush as me last week) so never made the road test. As 3 of us and one instructor he split road test into two sections as a rotation so we all went on the road twice. At this point the other one on geared decided he was going to take ped for road so I was only one on a geared and went out on the first two rotations.

Much nicer on the road, lots more space, didn't go perfect but well enough, had a couple of stalls pulling away especially on 'hill starts' balancing clutch, throttle and now rear brake took its time but sure it will come with practice.

Then on last run we come up to large roundabout turning right onto dual carriageway... guy on ped in the lead, instructor in the middle, me behind... now we are all reasonable distance apart no huge gaps, as we are coming off do my left lifesaver and sure enough a car besides me creeping up so glad that I didn't forget, its dual carriageway so I stay to go in right hand lane about a cars length behind instructor at this point... all of a sudden a car shoots out of turning before ours, right in-between me and the instructor... have to say though handled it perfectly just a touch of rear brake enough for them to get out the way (they proceeded to then cut up other cars and turn right... they were in left hand turn lane to begin with!) and a nice blast of the horn to censor any swear words and continue on.

Have to say so much more relaxed this time, hands and arms don't ache half as much so was obviously much more relaxed. Although did ride with visor up as was such a lovely day which was fine till a bit of country road and got pieces of tree flying into face, but grinned and bared it as no way was I letting go to put visor down.

Well went back today, what a difference a week makes!

This time had 2 younger people there, one on a ped and one on a geared and an older guy on a ped. The two on peds had never ridden before and the guy on geared had only ridden a ped before. So from being the most useless suddenly I am top of class and being asked to demonstrate all the maneuvers to the others.

Off the road section went fine nothing really to note, the older guy on ped struggled a lot (nearly went into same bush as me last week) so never made the road test. As 3 of us and one instructor he split road test into two sections as a rotation so we all went on the road twice. At this point the other one on geared decided he was going to take ped for road so I was only one on a geared and went out on the first two rotations.

Much nicer on the road, lots more space, didn't go perfect but well enough, had a couple of stalls pulling away especially on 'hill starts' balancing clutch, throttle and now rear brake took its time but sure it will come with practice.

Then on last run we come up to large roundabout turning right onto dual carriageway... guy on ped in the lead, instructor in the middle, me behind... now we are all reasonable distance apart no huge gaps, as we are coming off do my left lifesaver and sure enough a car besides me creeping up so glad that I didn't forget, its dual carriageway so I stay to go in right hand lane about a cars length behind instructor at this point... all of a sudden a car shoots out of turning before ours, right in-between me and the instructor... have to say though handled it perfectly just a touch of rear brake enough for them to get out the way (they proceeded to then cut up other cars and turn right... they were in left hand turn lane to begin with!) and a nice blast of the horn to censor any swear words and continue on.

Have to say so much more relaxed this time, hands and arms don't ache half as much so was obviously much more relaxed. Although did ride with visor up as was such a lovely day which was fine till a bit of country road and got pieces of tree flying into face, but grinned and bared it as no way was I letting go to put visor down.

excellent glad you got it this time :thumb: my visor is up and down constantly every time I ride :mrgreen: I love the air but hate getting whacked by bugs.

It's a shame some instructors stop people when they make a mistake, that fella might have been ok with a bit more practice, but I guess they have to keep it going for everyone else :).

Sounds like a (mostly) good day Via! :thumb: Unfortunately idiots pulling out in front of you is a normal occurrence :( but sounds as if you nailed it as you had a nice big gap and didn't panic brake!

Also I remember for about a week after my CBT I would not let go to open / close the visor either! You'll soon get the confidence and wonder why you thought it was such a big deal! Then you can also wave at small children when you go past, whilst I generally dislike kids the pure joy they have at waving at bikes warms even my cold dead heart :mrgreen:

He did let him practice while we were out on the road as he did me last week but I'd say when I last see him he was struggling more than I did last week, instructor was on fence for a bit but then said no as he was struggling to make a turn in one go as he was coming off throttle far too much as he turned so ended up stopping half way into turn. As with me last week struggling to get clutch control on a turn the biggest worry for him is if it happens on the road what was a nice big gap to pull out into suddenly turns into a car bearing down on someone who is struggling as it is.

Yeah I am glad I didn't panic, never grabbed front brake once all day (which I did a couple of times last week) I know I was fine in the 'controlled stop' and nailed it each time it is still different when you know what is coming. When I did my first CBT about 13 years ago I was on a ped and had someone pull out on me and did exactly that, ended up fishtailing down the road and only reason I didn't come off was because I was too scared too lol. But unfortunately I can't change drivers attitude only mine in reaction to it and that ended up a huge confidence boost even if I do need new trousers ;)

TBH I was exactly same when learning to drive couldn't take hand off wheel to do up window, now likewise it just comes naturally although round here will probably be different gestures to the kids ;)

One other thing I found so different on the road was lifesavers, did try and get some practice in off the road and was such a struggle keeping bike straight either drifting way I was looking or drifting the opposite way (think I was trying to compensate) but on the road felt much more natural

• 3 months later...

Look at my car licences and I could ride 50cc my push bike can out run it. need some thing a bit more energetic may 100 or 125 but then I had to take a CBT just as well as I had never been on a motor bike I past easy first time on them death traps, I now love it so much the bike is freedom and the riders view is better that the car so they are not as dangerous as I thought at 60+ am looking forward to the DAS

Today I am not a happy girlie! Yesterday, I attended my CBT bright and early. I had been waiting for months for this day to come around, so I was pretty excited at the prospect of finally becoming road legal. I was placed in a group with three male "learners" who were all exceptionally nice guys! However, despite their claims of being "novices", they all took off like ducks to water.( turns out all 3 had had some biking experience afterall) I , on the other hand, had NONE and as a result juddered and stalled my way around the course like a drunk kangaroo. I couldn't help comparing myself to the lads. I was rubbish and just wanted to give up and go home. In fact, that is exactly what happened. Because I kept stalling the bike, the instructor decided that i was not road worthy and suggested that i should just go home and return at a later date, 20th September 2016.

In conclusion, I think the CBT is not balanced or fair. People are different and learn at differing paces. Eight hours is not long enough to grasp the elements of bike riding. Because my fellow "learners" had already grasped the concept of clutch control, sadly for me, very little time was devoted to this activity. As a result I kept stalling the bike during exercises, thus holding the others back. This made me feel hopeless and bad for the others. As a result, my confidence has taken a nose-dive and I'm left feeling like poo. I even considered selling my bike and gear this morning and giving up completely. :-(

Has this happened to anyone else?

Mich xx

Hello! This does seem to have happened to a lot of people - sadly some schools just don't seem to have the patience for new new new riders preferring to push through people who kinda know how to work a bike and just need a bit of pointing and road experience.

Seeing as you have a bike do you have any private land you can practise just stopping and starting? Once you get the hang of clutch control everything becomes a little easier! Also I get the whole wanting to give up bit - but you obviously do want to do this so please don't let a little set back knock you all the way down. Riding a bike is a shed load of fun! Which is why there are so many of us!

Are they charging you for the 20th? Call them and ask to be put in a group with novices. You are paying them for a service. They need to provide one. Otherwise name and shame!!

That's harsh. I'd say it's not you. Talk about it with your instructor if you feel you can but it might be that they're not necessarily the right fit for you.

I had a similar experience when I started. It was in France where the CBT is separated from the licence though, so I started directly with a 650cc with zero experience. It was awful: I left the first lesson completely shaking, hard to drive the car on the way back and got awful hematomes for weeks since I fall at least 10 times and often with the bike falling on my tibias. I felt completely down and worthless after that. And of course, like you because we all do it in that case even though it's not helping, I started to compare myself to the guys who were doing so well in comparison...

For a lot of reasons, but mainly because of moving to the UK, I hap to stop the lessons. So when I went back to practice, 2 years later, it was with another school and things were so totally different. The instructor has a real training programme and was good with complete newbies like me. It went so great! I passed the module 1 test with the higher grade and I was the only one that day who got it! The lessons were great, I had the feeling to have a real grip at things and learned so much.

At the end, the first driving school was not bad at all (well, one instructor was really bad but the second one was good), but just not the right fit for me. They were used to guys who already had their CBT, so riding experience, already a strong sense of balance, good coordination with all the controls and all... These guys needed to be trained to the next level and not starting from scratch. The instructor in that school was good and experienced at that. Whereas the instructor of the second school had experience in training people from scratch. I have no doubt someone with a CBT would have found him boring and redundant.

And I've heard that kind of stories several times too. But the bottom line is: don't compare yourself to others, especially when they're obviously not real beginners... Know where you come from and notice your own personal progress from one lesson to another, regardless of others. They're not relevant.

We hear things like this a lot!

I think it's terrible!

It's not you! keep going!

I'd look for another school if I was you, go off recommendations if possible,

if you can't practice on a motorbike do it on a pedal bike! over and over and over

I know it sounds daft but it worked for Sue

As a result, my confidence has taken a nose-dive and I'm left feeling like poo. I even considered selling my bike and gear this morning and giving up completely. :-(

Has this happened to anyone else?

Mich xx

Whatever you do Peaches dont give up your dream, you dont have to be the best biker there, just the best person, keep going find another school if need be , but dont give up and practice,practice and it comes :thumb:

Hello! This does seem to have happened to a lot of people - sadly some schools just don't seem to have the patience for new new new riders preferring to push through people who kinda know how to work a bike and just need a bit of pointing and road experience.

Seeing as you have a bike do you have any private land you can practise just stopping and starting? Once you get the hang of clutch control everything becomes a little easier! Also I get the whole wanting to give up bit - but you obviously do want to do this so please don't let a little set back knock you all the way down. Riding a bike is a shed load of fun! Which is why there are so many of us!

Are they charging you for the 20th? Call them and ask to be put in a group with novices. You are paying them for a service. They need to provide one. Otherwise name and shame!!

Hoggs! Thankfully I don't have to pay on the 20th. Phew! Could get expensive if I did. I do have a piece of land next to my house, so I'll wheel the bike there and practice getting that elusive sweetspot!

Incidentally, the instructor is leaving at the weekend and starting a whole new career. So fingers crossed that the next one will be more patient and understanding! :bike:

That's harsh. I'd say it's not you. Talk about it with your instructor if you feel you can but it might be that they're not necessarily the right fit for you.

I had a similar experience when I started. It was in France where the CBT is separated from the licence though, so I started directly with a 650cc with zero experience. It was awful: I left the first lesson completely shaking, hard to drive the car on the way back and got awful hematomes for weeks since I fall at least 10 times and often with the bike falling on my tibias. I felt completely down and worthless after that. And of course, like you because we all do it in that case even though it's not helping, I started to compare myself to the guys who were doing so well in comparison...

For a lot of reasons, but mainly because of moving to the UK, I hap to stop the lessons. So when I went back to practice, 2 years later, it was with another school and things were so totally different. The instructor has a real training programme and was good with complete newbies like me. It went so great! I passed the module 1 test with the higher grade and I was the only one that day who got it! The lessons were great, I had the feeling to have a real grip at things and learned so much.

At the end, the first driving school was not bad at all (well, one instructor was really bad but the second one was good), but just not the right fit for me. They were used to guys who already had their CBT, so riding experience, already a strong sense of balance, good coordination with all the controls and all... These guys needed to be trained to the next level and not starting from scratch. The instructor in that school was good and experienced at that. Whereas the instructor of the second school had experience in training people from scratch. I have no doubt someone with a CBT would have found him boring and redundant.

And I've heard that kind of stories several times too. But the bottom line is: don't compare yourself to others, especially when they're obviously not real beginners... Know where you come from and notice your own personal progress from one lesson to another, regardless of others. They're not relevant.

Thanks so much for that Fabicha. Even although I didn't complete the CBT yesterday, I did succeed in riding a motorcycle without falling off. Yay! Reading everyone's kind comments on here is giving me the confidence to continue. I WILL get there!

We hear things like this a lot!

I think it's terrible!

It's not you! keep going!

I'd look for another school if I was you, go off recommendations if possible,

if you can't practice on a motorbike do it on a pedal bike! over and over and over

I know it sounds daft but it worked for Sue

I'm determined to nail this, Rennie. I will practice on my wee Lexmoto 125 every chance I have!

Don't let one person end your dreams, that instructor sounds like he couldn't be bothered.

When i did my cbt years ago (things may have changed) but the chap spent very little time with myself and 95% time helping the other 2.

I had ridden bikes before but a young girl hadn't even touched one. She thankfully was ok to go at the end of the day and took her certificate.

Keep in there peaches

Keep at it peaches. I sucked at clutch control at first too. Did my cbt on a 50cc auto and when I got my geared 125cc I got an hours instruction from the sales guy and I lost track of how many times I stalled on the way home, let alone the next few weeks. I was practicing daily on my road where it was quiet for a week or so before I got it. And that was a lot of spare time used.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Keep at it peaches. I sucked at clutch control at first too. Did my cbt on a 50cc auto and when I got my geared 125cc I got an hours instruction from the sales guy and I lost track of how many times I stalled on the way home, let alone the next few weeks. I was practicing daily on my road where it was quiet for a week or so before I got it. And that was a lot of spare time used.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks Mr W. I'm still kinda got with it

I remember my CBT very well Peaches. I had ridden bikes or rather friends bikes since being a kid. I thought I knew everything about clutch control until my first lesson............. how wrong was I

I kept stalling it the same as you, however, I had an instructor who was very understanding and took me away from the group to get some practise. All went well after that first day and DAS followed soon after.

The more practise you get the better. Do not be put off by the poor instructors it seems your local centre have. Try someone else.

Once the sweetspot comes............. it never goes

keep going