Need help with my battery

Algray

Went to go out on the bike earlier but battery was dead so borrowed a charger of my uncle so get it charged up.

I checked the voltage before putting it on the charger and was reading 9.8 after about 2 hours went and disconnected it now its reading 23.2 volts.

My question is can this be correct for a 12 volt battery to sit at almost double and is it safe to put back in the bike? I'm so confused

Aw dammit.

Do you think the battery was just done or do you think the charger had anything to do with it? Don't want to buy a new battery and put it on a charger that will wreak it cause correct me if I'm wrong but the new battery will only charge up to 60 percent when the acid is put in then needs charged to 100 percent

first things first dont get an acid battery where you add the acid yourself

get a Gel battery/maintenance free one

better still buy a motobatt they are pricey but well worth every penny

as for the charger it depends what charger it is

have you been using the bike? it could be that you have left it to discharge and its screwed it

if you can get power to the bike buy an optimate/maintenance charger too and keep the battery on charge when parked up

A maintenance charger will keep your battery it tip top shape and ready to ride :thumb:

Read this as "buy a motorboat". Was confused.

I didn't realise you could still buy add the acid yourself batteries!

Read this as "buy a motorboat". Was confused.

I didn't realise you could still buy add the acid yourself batteries!

Yep. Last battery I bought from a bike shop was a "dry" battery and within the box was a container of acid.

So I donned the rubber gauntlets apron and face shield, not, a filled the battery put if on the bike and road it.

Put the optimate on when I got back and it was fine.

If you do leave a battery on an optimate the for a long period check the liquid level.

Thanks for the advice stu. I will price up a motobatt for it.

Bike has just been sat for a while now but that is my problem at the minute can't get power to the bike. I could bring the battery in the house when not in use.

Looking to buy my first house in July time so hopefully one with a garage

get one of these and wire it onto the battery so you can plug it in when not in use ive got the same problem of no power in my shed but im getting one of these as it will keep it topped up http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... ........oh and they retail at £39.99 but if you have got a trade card they are £29.99

Edited by eastanglianbiker

I often find ebay has the cheapest motobatt's or wemoto

Just looked up the motobatt for my bike.. It's got four terminals (two positive and two negative)

That would actually make like easier when connecting/disconnecting accessories as my factory alarm won't scream at me!

Never seen that on a battery before - nice idea.

I often find ebay has the cheapest motobatt's or wemoto

Just looked up the motobatt for my bike.. It's got four terminals (two positive and two negative)

That would actually make like easier when connecting/disconnecting accessories as my factory alarm won't scream at me!

Never seen that on a battery before - nice idea.

yes the majority of them have four terminals

although do check as not all of them do

like the one for my bike! you know the type of bike that people fit heated grips sat nav heated clothing :blah: and the battery only has 2 terminals :lol:

thats because there is a metal rail on the opposite side of the battery to short the termials out and you wouldn't be able to access them with the way the battery sits

That's me just ordered one £48 delivered. Happy with that cause a halfords acid filled battery was £45.

Only bad thing is I've got a weekend off nightshift and my plans are ruined

Given that I haven't seen my bike since last year and I stopped getting texts messages from my GPS tracker a few months back, I'm pretty sure my battery is shagged..

50quid, delivered... Job done

I'm giving the Motobatt a whirl too. The ZX6r chomps a Yuasa every year so if lasts longer then it's win-win.

Strangely, the ZXR has had the same Yuasa for yonks and it's okey dokey. :scratch: