Bike cuts out when not revved?

Branbb60

Hello,

I'm very very new to bikes so i'm sorry if I struggle to understand anyone who posts but I have a Lexmoto Arizona 125cc.

When I turn on the bike I have to keep a little bit of revs in there or the bike will just cut out.

What can I do to solve this?

Thank you everyone.

PS: My CBT is on Saturday. Any tips at all? I've opped for a motorbike but people have said to use a scooter instead as it is much easier.

I have no experience using bikes and cannot afford to fail my CBT.

Thanks again, Brandon.

If you've bought a geared bike I'd recommend doing your CBT on a geared bike! It's a not a test you cannot fail it - they may ask you come back for a bit more instruction. relax and enjoy it.

If you've bought a geared bike I'd recommend doing your CBT on a geared bike! It's a not a test you cannot fail it - they may ask you come back for a bit more instruction. relax and enjoy it.

Do you know if there is a wait period at all? It may get a little pricey if I have to redo it...

sounds like the tickover needs adjusting slightly to bring the revs up a little on tickover

Any idea on how I can do this?

I have tried to research but there is a lot I struggle to understand.

Are you using the choke? Are you letting it warm up? Did you read any of the owners manual? :lol:

In all honesty mate I wouldn't know what the "choke" is, i'm new to the motorbiking world so I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Unfortunately the bike didn't come with a manual, only the V5 from the previous owner. I've looked online but a PDF format is £10...

It's also probably for the best. If I complete the CBT on a scooter I still have no clue how to use the gears on a bike so it'll be very hit and miss and risky.

As far as i'm aware it goes like 1N2345 but it's still confusing too me! :oops:

There's no minium time to wait between cbt sessions (unlike the theory and mod 1 & 2)

Some centres will give additional instruction free as part of the cbt package you'll need to ask your centre what the deal is.

Also gears are the easy bit - it's the remembering to cancel your indicators you need to worry about :lol:

Are you using the choke? Are you letting it warm up? Did you read any of the owners manual? :lol:

In all honesty mate I wouldn't know what the "choke" is, i'm new to the motorbiking world so I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Unfortunately the bike didn't come with a manual, only the V5 from the previous owner. I've looked online but a PDF format is £10...

No worries, we all start somewhere :lol:

I wouldn't bother with the manual in that case... Lexmoto manuals are a bit crap! If it was free then it'd be worth a quick look, but not worth paying for. Might be worth grabbing a copy of this instead at some point:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chinese-Motorcycles-Service-Repair-manuals/dp/1844258718

But anyway, Google tells me this is what your carburettor looks like...

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTU5OVgxMTcx/z/s38AAOSw37tV-XwU/$_57.JPG

See that black lever half way up it? That's your choke. The simplified explanation is that it restricts the flow of air into your engine, making for a richer fuel-air mix. Put even simpler, the bike will rev higher when you use the choke, which will help it warm up before you ride it without you having the work the throttle constantly.

Don't necessarily whack it up all the way, just start the bike and give it just enough choke that the engine keeps running without you having to stay on the throttle, and let the engine warm up for a little while. Once it warms up you can ease off the choke (because you don't want to be using it unnecessarily, running rich all the time isn't a smart move) and it should keep running without cutting out, assuming you don't have any other problems that want sorting! And then you're ready to ride :thumb:

(My old Lexmoto needed a bit of choke to start properly on anything but the warmest days, you quickly get into a habit of starting the bike and letting it warm up while you stick your gloves and helmet on)

Oh, and +1 what Hoggs said - if you're riding a geared bike, you definitely want to be doing a geared CBT.

I suppose it's hard for youngsters to know what a choke is brought up in full injected cars. I still remember my aunt showing me the choke on her metro.

Even I forgot to use the choke on my new old bike after riding around my injected CBF for 11k miles.

I suppose it's hard for youngsters to know what a choke is brought up in full injected cars. I still remember my aunt showing me the choke on her metro.

Even I forgot to use the choke on my new old bike after riding around my injected CBF for 11k miles.

I went mad for a few years so had a 1971 Morris Marina which had a choke. Took a while to get used to it! Lived in fear of cutting out at junctions (which only actually happened once!) Many many moons later when I started riding the 125 I had the same FEAR as before, especially as it didn't have a cheaty engine temp gauge and it tended to cut out in low revs when it was cold regardless :lol: :lol:

Ahhh....you kids.....never experienced having to put a clothes peg on the choke lever on a car to keep it out because the thing was so worn that the friction collar to hold the choke on didn't work anymore. ..... :wink:

Ahhh....you kids.....never experienced having to put a clothes peg on the choke lever on a car to keep it out because the thing was so worn that the friction collar to hold the choke on didn't work anymore. ..... :wink:

Believe it or not I have had to do this!!

1972 land rover lightweight ;-)

:lol:

or on the superdream and cx 500 to keep the choke on long enough for it to warm up but i guess it was a kind of auto choke as it slowly turned itself off by sliding back down

No worries, we all start somewhere :lol:

I wouldn't bother with the manual in that case... Lexmoto manuals are a bit crap! If it was free then it'd be worth a quick look, but not worth paying for. Might be worth grabbing a copy of this instead at some point:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chinese-Motorcycles-Service-Repair-manuals/dp/1844258718

But anyway, Google tells me this is what your carburettor looks like...

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTU5OVgxMTcx/z/s38AAOSw37tV-XwU/$_57.JPG

See that black lever half way up it? That's your choke. The simplified explanation is that it restricts the flow of air into your engine, making for a richer fuel-air mix. Put even simpler, the bike will rev higher when you use the choke, which will help it warm up before you ride it without you having the work the throttle constantly.

Don't necessarily whack it up all the way, just start the bike and give it just enough choke that the engine keeps running without you having to stay on the throttle, and let the engine warm up for a little while. Once it warms up you can ease off the choke (because you don't want to be using it unnecessarily, running rich all the time isn't a smart move) and it should keep running without cutting out, assuming you don't have any other problems that want sorting! And then you're ready to ride :thumb:

(My old Lexmoto needed a bit of choke to start properly on anything but the warmest days, you quickly get into a habit of starting the bike and letting it warm up while you stick your gloves and helmet on)

Oh, and +1 what Hoggs said - if you're riding a geared bike, you definitely want to be doing a geared CBT.

Thank you for the detail explanation! I really appreciate your patience.

I'll attempt this tomorrow morning after I've filled the oil and break fluid up.

Today I was trying to turn up the revs on the carb (I think) to keep it going but I managed to kill the battery again so I stopped.

Hopefully it is just as simple as placing the choke on and letting it warm up.

I'll post back either way, thank you for your time.

There's also a screw (opposite side of the black choke lever) that if adjusted speeds up/slows idle revs 8-)

I was attempting this but unfortunately killed the battery before any progress was made.

I went mad for a few years so had a 1971 Morris Marina which had a choke. Took a while to get used to it! Lived in fear of cutting out at junctions (which only actually happened once!) Many many moons later when I started riding the 125 I had the same FEAR as before, especially as it didn't have a cheaty engine temp gauge and it tended to cut out in low revs when it was cold regardless :lol: :lol:

How can you prevent cutting out at junctions? I really wouldn't want to do that and the fact my bike can't even hold its ground in my garage worries me let alone on a junction!

Once the bike is warm you can turn down the choke, if it's gonna stalk you can just keep it turned up?

Either way get it fixed ASAP, check my topic from last week.. My bike was cutting out at traffic lights and on roundabouts.. Was scary as f**k.