Emergency stop

baggy

I was out with the wife as Pillion this afternoon with a BMW infront of me who decided to slam on her brakes just as the crossing lights turned amber. I had to do an emergency stop and the 883R stopped fairly quickly with a bit of wheel lock.

Not bad considering I also had the Mrs on the bike, I would say I was doing just over 30MPH

https://youtu.be/1zP698gL4Gs

And To the idiots who insist on riding right up people's arses - this is why you keep a safe distance. Nicely done sir glad everyone was ok :thumb:

Did you notice how long the peds had been waiting for? Did you see them approach the crossing? This would have given you an indication on the likelihood of them going to red. If the chances are high then I would have been rolling off the throttle slightly on the approach in anticipation. You would have been prepared for the sudden stopping of the car in front.

You did well to keep control especially with a pillion. Try to plan ahead a bit more when carrying a pillion, as you now know it takes a bit longer to stop with extra weight [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I have only had the Gopro a week and I am enjoying looking back at my rides and seeing areas to improve on, feedback always welcome

I have on video on the M40 some idiot in front of us swerving from inside lane to middle lane, when I overtook him and looked across he was on his mobile phone. I have it all recorded including his reg

Ok if you want feedback

you are riding too close!

thats really what caused the situation you only have about a 1-1.5 second gap at most

giving yourself more space will allow you to slow down in good time without having to panic brake

we all do it at times so we all arent whiter than white :wink:

you stopped and thats all that matters :)

If I were riding in this scene, I'd have moved to the left to account for cars pulling out of the rear. I also would have slown down for both the bus and the crossing, which with peds standing there I would expect it to turn red soon. Green doesn't mean go - for defensive driving it means prepare to slow down ;)

As Stu says, more distance is only a good thing - 2 seconds minimum by yourself, add an extra 1 for good measure when riding with a pillion.

Also with the weight of the passenger I would have been even more cautious to ensure a smoother and more comfortable ride for them.

I imagine with all the above the emergency stop wouldn't have been needed.

Nice one again for not binning it ;)

Glad you stopped ok ect. To be fair though the lights were amber and people waiting, plan ahead and judge the lights for yourself rather than follow the flow of traffic and it will make for better rides.

Nothing wrong with the car's driving - they did exactly the correct thing, or did you expect them to drive through the amber light?

Even if the car wasn't there you still would have needed to brake sharply to avoid jumping the lights or potentially hitting a pedestrian who may have started crossing assuming you would stop for the lights.

More awareness of your surroundings and anticipation of likely events, and at least a three second gap (more with pillion) required....

Keep learning, and don't be so quick to judge other road users :cheers:

We've all done this at some time or another I think, but you handled it well and stopped so lesson learned :)

Many have put the bike down or gone into the back so you showed you had the skill to handle it. Now you have the experience to avoid it :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with the car's driving - they did exactly the correct thing, or did you expect them to drive through the amber light?

Even if the car wasn't there you still would have needed to brake sharply to avoid jumping the lights or potentially hitting a pedestrian who may have started crossing assuming you would stop for the lights.

More awareness of your surroundings and anticipation of likely events, and at least a three second gap (more with pillion) required....

Keep learning, and don't be so quick to judge other road users :cheers:

as above and glad you have taken this on board as friendly advice - not critism. An 'Emergency Stop' is what is required in an Emergency - This situation should never have been an 'Emergency'. You need to think ahead and plan for the car to stop at the crossing (the tell-tale signs were there - ped's waiting.

Now if you were riding along and a large block of stone suddenly fell from the sky in front of you.... That would require an Emergency Stop.

Ride safe.

:cheers:

Thanks for the comments, we all learn from experience and the advice of others so I am always open to opinion.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice :)

Glad to see someone taking criticism with grace. Well done for stopping, can't take that away from you. The rest has been covered, apart from one thing. On approach always anticipate a light changing and adjust accordingly. That's said, well done ;)

Yep, take it all on board.. willingness to listen is the first requirement for learning. :thumb:

Other thing to consider, if you're in a car and you get rear ended you're normally ok, but if you're on a bike and get a car drive up your bum you'll be in pain.

When you do find yourself stoping suddenly, we aware of any vehicles following and make sure they are stopping too. have your escape route planned.

Personally I try not to stop in the centre of the lane behind traffic. I try to be off to one side to give following cars more options to avoid an impact or i just filter past the last couple of cars to use them as a crumple zone.

Glad to see someone taking criticism with grace. Well done for stopping, can't take that away from you. The rest has been covered, apart from one thing. On approach always anticipate a light changing and adjust accordingly. That's said, well done ;)

Someone did cover that :lol:

Green doesn't mean go - for defensive driving it means prepare to slow down ;)

Joe - playing devil's advocate I would argue that the car actually wasn't 100% right in stopping. Amber means prepare to stop if safe to do so but he was very close when it turned and I don't think he had enough time to check his mirror before slowing down / stopping as should be done... Therefore because his checks probably wasn't performed I would argue it wasn't safe to stop - just like doing a U turn without a shoulder check.

If I were the car I would have gone through because I couldn't be certain I Was safe from being rear ended.

if iwas the car and the lights changed and peds had not started crossing before they where supposed too, i would have driven through. In anything bigger than that car at that distance you would have ended up in the middle of the crossing, therefore drive through

if i was the bike, i would have left a bit more space between myself and the car in front.

great stop and especially with pillion, we all live and learn :thumb:

:stupid: Wot he said..... :wink:

Joe - playing devil's advocate I would argue that the car actually wasn't 100% right in stopping. Amber means prepare to stop if safe to do so but he was very close when it turned and I don't think he had enough time to check his mirror before slowing down / stopping as should be done... Therefore because his checks probably wasn't performed I would argue it wasn't safe to stop - just like doing a U turn without a shoulder check.

If I were the car I would have gone through because I couldn't be certain I Was safe from being rear ended.

Do checks on approach to the lights, don't wait for them to change to amber before doing your checks - a green light with pedestrians stood waiting is highly likley to change to amber.

The car didn't panic brake or emergency stop, it stopped perfectly safely.

However, If I was the car driver id probably already have been on the brakes anticipating the change and letting the biker (who's far too close) behind know that I was about to stop. If the biker still hit me, then it's tough titty, a set of bent forks and an insurance claim for a new rear bumper landing on the bikers doormat the next day.

Sorry mate missed that bit ;)

Do checks on approach to the lights, don't wait for them to change to amber before doing your checks - a green light with pedestrians stood waiting is highly likley to change to amber.

However, If I was the car driver id probably already have been on the brakes anticipating the change and letting the biker (who's far too close) behind know that I was about to stop. If the biker still hit me, then it's tough titty, a set of bent forks and an insurance claim for a new rear bumper landing on the bikers doormat the next day.

Absolutely correct.

But I don't believe the chap in the BMW was prepared to come to a stop else he wouldn't be over the line. So in the above video, if I were the driver in exactly the same position I'd have gone through. Officer asks why I didn't stop = I didn't feel it was safe for me to do so.

But yes, agree checks SHOULD be done before that point.

I fell off my 125 because the lights changed and the person in front of me stopped and I didn't expect it (and grabbed alllllllllll the front brake). "Luckily" the only thing I hit was the floor :lol:

So now I always expect everyone to stop at every light! I have ran a couple of "probably red as I went over the line" though as whilst I was convinced I could stop I wasn't sure about the person behind me (who normally always accelerates even more to get across on proper red red! :shock: ) ....

This has been a really interesting thread, 'tis true that the real learning starts after you pass your test and never stops!

Echo all of the above and well in for recognising it. I would point out the massive SLOW sign printed on the lane that you continued past also...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Absolutely correct.

But I don't believe the chap in the BMW was prepared to come to a stop else he wouldn't be over the line. So in the above video, if I were the driver in exactly the same position I'd have gone through. Officer asks why I didn't stop = I didn't feel it was safe for me to do so.

But yes, agree checks SHOULD be done before that point.

Unless he deliberately extended his breaking distance to avoid the biker getting splatted across his back windscreen ;)