The right training/test for me-confused.

I have my CBT booked for 2 weeks, I only plan on getting a 125 to start with, so that is fine, but I don't then want 2 years to fly by before losing the licence again.

I am 36. What options do I have, I have heard of the MOD 1&2 and the direct access. What is the difference? as I am over 24, does that mean I can go straight for the direct access to ride whatever I please whenever I am ready to upgrade the bike? and is that literally just doing these Mod tests?? or is it a different type of test carried out diferently.

As I am a short arse girl (5'4), and I am struggling to find a suitably sized bike that would fit my size and frame, so don't know where my comfort zone would be until I have been on the road for a bit. With this in mind is there an option of test that I could use with a smaller bike forever, without the need to upgrade my licence every few years.

I am totally googled out tonight, I hope someone can explain this to me please.

K

Hello!

So as you know a cbt is only valid for 2 years.

As you're over 24 you can do the Direct Access Scheme (DAS)

You will need to do your theory test before mod 1

The DAS is comprised of the same elements as a restricted test - the only difference being what you can ride at the end.

The test is in two parts

Mod 1 is the slow speed manoeuvres

Mod 2 is your road test

Really you want to do the das this will mean you can ride anything you like forever. You will do the training on something like an er6 or gladius

The best thing is when you go for your cbt chat to the instructors about the das. See what bikes they use and ask to sit on one to see how you feel.

Once you're confident on a bike size isn't such am issue. The lovely Gin on here is a tiny little pixie and merrily zooms around on a HUGE triumph 1050 :lol:

Others will explain test requirements better than me.....

A friend feels your pain she recently had this nightmare with 28" inside leg she really struggled to find a school with bike low enough for her for MOD 1 & 2. There was one that was lowered that she did MOD1 on and she attempted MOD2 on but really was to tall.

In the end she bought a bike to do her test on, caused some problems for insurance but nothing insurmountable.

If your down this way or want to chat to her I am sure she will do all she can to help.

In the end she ended up with a Kwaker Kawasaki 650 Vulcan I think (she swears its the lowest big bike on the market), even on that she has removed the pillion seat to help her get her leg over...

Should the size of the rider affect the choice of bike? Maybe not. The motorbike stays upright because of gyroscopic precession, if that's the right term. In any case, as long as the wheel is put into a rotation about an axis, it produces an angular momentum that causes anything attached to that axis to benefit from outward-pushing torque, which keeps it upright. It's the same principle as a helicopter. It stays upright by its own power, and you don't need both feet on the ground.

Yes the bike while stay up on its own while moving. The problem comes while stopping.

If you cannot reach the ground with at least one ball of your foot and support the weight of the bike like that, then it will fall over and knock your confidence.

I feel your pain K. I'm the same height, and it a 27" inseam I do struggle reaching the ground with a lot of bikes.

What I have found is that skinnier seats and an under seat tank make even big bikes feel manageable. Getting the weight of the bike as close to your own centre of gravity helps me a lot.

I ride a Suzuki sv650 for my tests, I don't particularly find it comfortable, but it does the job.

Yes the bike while stay up on its own while moving. The problem comes while stopping.

If you cannot reach the ground with at least one ball of your foot and support the weight of the bike like that, then it will fall over and knock your confidence.

Agree and having the flexibility to get your leg over... Then there is gravely car parks/ junctions and problems trying to paddle it round when parking, riding is the easy bit.

Some people manage better than others, allot depends on various other factors. I know when my friend attempted the MOD2 on the larger bike the examiners where not at all happy about her doing it on a bike that was "to big for her".

This is after several thousand miles on her 125...

If you want to keep riding a 125 but without taking a CBT every 2 years, you can do a "Category A1 light motorcycles" test. Like all the motorcycle tests (not counting the CBT) it consists of Mod 1 (slow skills) and Mod 2 (road test). I think it's exactly the same test as the full (category A) motorcycle test, except you ride a 125 and once you pass you're only licensed to ride bikes up to 125cc and 11kW. Because it's the identical test, some decide it's better to do a full licence test (as long as they've reached the minimum age, which is 24) even if they currently want to stick to a 125, as they then are qualified to ride any bike. This test has to be taken on a bike that's least 595cc (normaly it's a 650), and for this reason can only be done through DAS, that is, by taking lessons on a big bike with a qualified instructor. Others decide that the easiest thing is to re-take the CBT every 2 years. To be fair, thought, the CBT was designed with that in mind; most riders (me included) would think that it's better to get the greater level of training required to pass the test.

So to summarise, you can

• * Take the test (mod 1 and mod 2) on your 125, after which you can ride a 125 without L plates and without taking the CBT again.

* Learn to ride a 650 with a qualified instructor. Take you test (mod 1 and mod 2) on the 650, after which you can ride your 125 or any bike without L plates and without taking the CBT again.

* Ride your 125 with L plates and take the CBT every two years.

PS Bike: Baby Blade? Except it's not big enough for DAS :-(

All this info has been brilliant, and extremely thought provoking.

I am pleased others trust my anguish regarding my height, most things you can get round, however height isn't one of them.

I have decided to get my CBT on geared bike, I am then being treated to a kymco ck1, I will commute for the next year or so, in the mean time I will do my theory, from there I will work out where I am at, won't know till I try as yet.

Looking forward to my biking day's whichever way they go.

Thanks All

Good luck with the cbt :thumb: also if you haven't already - get yourself some spanners and a Manuel and get into the habit of doing your pre ride checks and any light maintenence you can. Kymco are not the worst maker by a long shot but do need a little bit more love and being able to carry out basic maintenence will stand you in excellent stead going forward (also its really not too difficult so don't be scared to get stuck in! ) :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...