Helmet cam mounting

I've got a go pro type camera I don't use as much as I expected so I'm going to helmet mount it. The problem is where to mount it. Im thinking a chin mount is the least obvious and best for airflow/least turbulence but the chin of my helmet is too sharp for the standard mounting. Has anyone used epoxy putty to make a new moulding on the bracket and is it secure?

Also any advice on how you did it would be appreciated!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I'd go for bike mount. Those things are made to take a hell of a knock, so if you ever have an unfortunate face-first encounter with the ground and the camera is on the chin, odds on that the camera is going through your jaw :lol:

I use mine mounted teletubby style, was tempted by bike mount but I like the camera to see what I see :)

Wouldn't mount it on the chin because of this:

I'd go for bike mount. Those things are made to take a hell of a knock, so if you ever have an unfortunate face-first encounter with the ground and the camera is on the chin, odds on that the camera is going through your jaw :lol:

But if you do want to there are videos and stuff on how to do it online.

I will go with bike mount. IMO helmet mount is not safe, you are ruining the helmet and what if you change the helmet too?

the camera isn't permanently mounted, the camera and mount are seperate. Action cams mostly seem to come with a few mounts and additional/replacement mounts are inexpensive. Helmet mounts are small and not that obvious especially on patterned lids.

I will go with bike mount. IMO helmet mount is not safe, you are ruining the helmet and what if you change the helmet too?

the camera isn't permanently mounted, the camera and mount are seperate. Action cams mostly seem to come with a few mounts and additional/replacement mounts are inexpensive. Helmet mounts are small and not that obvious especially on patterned lids.

This is true, the 3M adhesive pads are cheap and removable with heat so not too worried about ruining the helmet. And I think the mounting bracket would break before the camera went through the helmet and my face, hopefully anyway.

I would have bike mounted it already but with my memory i'd forget to take it off.

Thing RJ uses some putty to fit his. Check out his YT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect thanks! It seems a glue/putty called Sugru might be the way forward. Anyone heard of it?

Thing RJ uses some putty to fit his. Check out his YT.

Perfect thanks! It seems a glue/putty called Sugru might be the way forward. Anyone heard of it?

Yeah, its on amazon lightning deals fairly regularly :)

Also agree with the comments re leaving a bike mounted camera on the bike, I once left the keys for one of my bikes in the seat lock for about 3 weeks, didn't notice until I went to get them that they weren't in the usual place :shock:

And agree with the comments re gopro/square cameras being the wrong shape, it does catch the wind :\ If I was mounting it on the bike i'd prob put it on the front fairing above the headlights. Most people seem to mount them on the side though. You can get big suction cup mounts for putting them on side fairings. You can get clamp mounts that I suppose you'd use for unfaired bikes. You can also get a chest harness which might work for an upright unfaired bike.

• 1 month later...
I'm thinking of getting a cheapish action cam too, for when I go on some trips. Don't fancy it on the helmet, where abouts do you guys mount the cam to the bike? Any pics?

http://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8837/28272924423_64e3e80b0e_o.jpg

Here are mines, I have front one mounted using RAM B mounts, the rear one is mounted on the rack handle using its original GoPro style mounts. Both are SJCAM SJ4000. Sometimes I turn the rear one to shot towards the front - you get nice footage.

Note there are a lot of fake SJCAMs. Original SJCAMs has the word SJCAM printed on the camera front plus verification code. Both are powered by the bike in dashcam mode. I have drilled a holes with solder iron through the cases to plug the USB power permanently then sealed with a little silicone around. DYI waterproof and never get them off the bike.

You can buy these fairly cheap models:

SJ4000

SJ4000 wifi

SJ4000+ - better resolution and anti-shake sensor

M10 - note you can't drill a hole for usb power in the case of that one cause the locking mechanism obstructs the port

M20

Gopros are the wrong shape/size for helmet mounting.

Get a smaller camera like the Mobius.

Hmm aren't there quite a few well known vloggers who use go pros on the side of their helmet? The ghost drift is a nice camera for helmet mounting. I have a similar one from Midland, XTC400. It's fine out of waterproof case but when is in it, it looks ridiculous.

I have a Drift Ghost HD and a GoPro Hero4 silver. The GoPro is mounted on the side of the helmet and I forget it's there most of the time. No issues.

I want to mount mine on the chin but have the same issue with it being too sharp. I've heard Sugru works great though.

I have a Drift Ghost HD and a GoPro Hero4 silver. The GoPro is mounted on the side of the helmet and I forget it's there most of the time. No issues.

I want to mount mine on the chin but have the same issue with it being too sharp. I've heard Sugru works great though.

Do you feel the GOPro is better than the drift? I must have jinxed mine, the mount blumin fell off today, luckily just as I got off my bike and not on the actual 45 min ride, very odd!

Do you feel the GOPro is better than the drift? I must have jinxed mine, the mount blumin fell off today, luckily just as I got off my bike and not on the actual 45 min ride, very odd!

Quality wise the GoPro wins hands down.

In terms of shape the drift has it

I'm tempted by a Drift Stealth 2. They are so tiny these days but a lot of money !

Quality wise the GoPro wins hands down.

In terms of shape the drift has it

I'm tempted by a Drift Stealth 2. They are so tiny these days but a lot of money !

But I take it the drift ghost HD is better than the drift stealth 2?

I think they are round about the same. Not 100% tbh. I think they are both 1080p30. The 1080p60 really makes a difference on the GoPro.

I have the same problem, the chin guard on my X-Lite is way to sharp. So I made up a mount in the pictures below. Works perfectly, means I don't run a mic as the air blast isn't too bad up to 100mph behind the faring and to be honest its more a safety feature that a talking point.

Biggest faff was getting the angle right as it takes some time putting it on adjusting doing a dry run (about 30mins).

The 3M patches are very very good but i would suggest putting on one of the GoPro sticky lanyards just in case :)

20160822_175506892_iOS.thumb.jpg.6531f96adc4581b9bf139dfb44075e95.jpg

20160822_175513957_iOS.thumb.jpg.b140886222f57c80b92f4b0785f231f9.jpg

20160822_175551620_iOS.thumb.jpg.84b7a215e308f701977331db17ab5f65.jpg

20160822_175601601_iOS.thumb.jpg.a5c3ee7c9510eaff6f3197fdc15f291b.jpg

20160822_180011973_iOS.thumb.jpg.21fda80d8c5aef7368ea57311b355336.jpg

20160822_180025323_iOS.thumb.jpg.8d758acef53e3ad4167ceb5208f43f65.jpg