New helmet for new bike

Continuing my jacket discussion, is time to talk helmet.

I have always used Sohei but they were always presents. Now I have to get my own, and I still want one and falls into budget, but I want to know if it is worth it.

I was thinking on the GT-air or the NXR. What is your call on these two? Is it worth or should I consider other brands?

I can always try them st the local store and get them online is its worth it. Any helmet online retailer at good price?

I could also go for a shoei quest if that would be enough.

Thanks.

I got my shark evoline 3 from Firecrest near Glasgow and they were great at making sure it fitted correctly.

Always a good sign, i had one place tried every helmet in the place, didn't have one that fitted right so didn't sell me one.

others can't wait to sell you that £5000 one just to get a bonus.

Budget is how much you value your head, limbs and body can be done without. You kinda need a head though

My take on this is that a helmet that fits your head well will protect your it better than one that doesn't, no matter how much it costs.

I went to buy a NXR a year ago and came out with a GT-Air. The fit of the NXR just wasn't right for me.

I'm a fan of Bell helmets........my M5x fits me perfectly, but it's getting on for 6 years old now.......I would replace it with another M5X, although it's not a current model......but there are still some around.....and at good prices too...... 8-)

I find Shark fit me pretty well. They are comfy too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi MR_W,

Thanks for your reply. Is good that shark fits you well and I apretiate the feedback I will have a look at them. Still, you answer does not answer my question about shoei being worth the money you pay over others.

Thanks

All helmets sold in the UK will have to meet standards to ensure our noggin is pretty well protected in a crash.

Is Shoei or Shark or AGV or any brand really "worth more" than a 30 quid helmet?

You're mainly paying for the brand, although stuff like pinlock and inbuilt visors are more standard in the higher end lids. I have a Shoei, I love it - it fits well and has a cool design.

As with most things "worth it" is a matter of opinion :thumb:

I agree, "worth the money" is really subjective, especially with helmets.

Shoei's pitch is that their helmets are worth the money because they're very comfortable, and they're well ventilated. They don't claim they're any more likely to protect you in an accident than other brands (and I'm 100% sure they would make this clear if they had data to back this up).

I find Shoei lids are really, really comfortable, and I have a Shoei which I wear all the time (but not in bed :shock: ). Some of the comfort is simply because it fits me well. Shark make my head feel like it's in been in a fight, but others find them really comfortable. To them, Shoei's not worth the extra. I find Caberg helmets have too little padding for me, but others get along with them just fine. If I found them more comfortable, I'd buy a Caberg and have a small holiday with the money I'd saved.

Why not visit some place that stocks lids with the idea of trying on some different brands and models. You'll know when you put one on that works for you - it will feel completely different from the others.