Keep Stalling!!!!!

I passed my MOD 1 Test a couple of weeks ago Yippeeee

My MOD 2 is booked in a couple of weeks, however I had a 2 hour lesson yesterday and it was the worst I had riden durng all of my previous lessons :crybaby:

I am a little bit aprehensive when I come up to junctions, just unsure how to approach them I think I am approaching them to fast then when I need to stop it looks uncomftorable and then Im not sure if I am in first or not. (I think I have convinced myself I am in 1st gear and try to carry on if nothing is coming) I spoke to my instructer afterwards and he told me slow everything down (but how slow is acceptable?) I would be better off stopping at give ways unless a 100% sure I can exit safely (I understand this but get extremely nervous when I approach Junctions)

It doesnt help that when I have stopped at junctions I stalled the bike (this has not happend this many times before Maybe once on a lesson, but happend several times yesterday), I managed to convince myself by letting the clutch out the bike was not moving so I would add some throttle, then she would rev like crazy. Not sure what I am doing wrong, could my foot be on the back brake not letting the bike roll forwards when I release the clutch?

I think after it happened a couple of times I got really nervous and to the stage where I didnt want to stop at junctions and hoped the road was clear.

I would appreciate any further advice. I have another 2 hour lesson booked next week and another 1 hour lesson before my test.

Thanks

Al

Just to say first, we Allll have this :D Don't worry, we've all been there and we all still have 'off' days where it just doesn't come together like it should..

I know this sounds so typical but try to just relax; take a deep breath and tell yourself that it doesn't matter. Start the bike up again and get on your way :thumb:

Something that might be a factor is the clutch let. When I first picked up my Triumph I stalled it a few times until I adjusted where the clutch bites on the lever and now I don't have a problem with it! Talk to your instructor about the clutch biting point and maybe adjust it to where is more comfortable for you :)

Good luck and hope things get better for you x

Hiya! This sounds like nerves and overthinking as you said :)

I'd start off just imagining everything is a stop line. Get your slowing down and stopping sorted. Because you know you can do that. Then you get to practise your pulling away. Do not start to think there is a big timer counting down at the junction, there isn't - do your mirrors and lifesaves, gently roll on the power smoothly away :mrgreen:

Also it does happen to all of us as Ginnypops said - about a month after I passed my test I had stopped at some lights, went to pull off stalled. ARGH. Started bike went to pull off stalled ARGH (was OHs bike now convinced I had broken it).

Wait. Thought I, let's not panic - lets do my checks - oh I'm in 2nd that'll be why :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the replies, It sounds easy, I even think it should be easier and I am making it look difficult, then having stalled a couple of times it's embeded into my skull that at every junction I WILL STALL!!!!!

Should I just release the clutch until the bike starts to move, before gently rolling on the throttle?

Should I take my foot off the back brake completeley before releasing the clutch? (could this be causing me to stall? foot on the back brake while releasing the clutch?)

Unfortunately this is something I can not practice on my 125!!!!

My instructor seems to think that I am trying to rush things (Which I think he is correct)

I am not sure how slow I am able to approach junctions (hence my awkard stopping) or how quickly I should exit if the road is clear (I dont want to be marked down for hesitation, it's seems like its a very fine line or do the instructors give a bit of leway when you approch junctions too slowly and exit them slower than you possibly should?)

Thanks,

Al

Is it possible for you to go to a lesser used carpark or similar off-road stretch of tarmac and practice starting the bike, getting up to 10mph, coming to a full stop, moving off and getting up to 10mph, stopping etc etc.. ?

I did this when I first passed my CBT and it helped me no end to get the feel of the bike without all the on road pressure.. :mrgreen:

I have to admit I tend to roll the throttle to start the power as I let the clutch go; so a ratio of the two wrist twists to exchange the power but without standing next to you, helping you move your hands it's difficult to transfer what I mean!

I find it's all about feeling the bike but to get to the stage of being able to feel what's right, you need the built up experience of how the bikes feels! :(

If you can get to a car park I would recommend just stopping and starting over and over till it starts to become reflex, not thought! :thumb:

On flat ground you can release the back brake then release clutch whilst rolling on throttle gently.

On hills you need to release clutch whilst gently rolling on throttle until you get to the bite point then release the brake then increase throttle and roll off clutch to pull off. This sounds a lot more complicated than it is! I think as soon as you start thinking about it problems start :lol:

Unless it's a massively open junction you can clearly see both ways on approach then just aim to stop on the line.

I think practise is the way forward but maybe break it down in to sections don't think of the junction as a whole? Just focus on one thing at a time

So stage one, I need to stop over there

Stage 2 make sure nothing is coming, then do my checks

Stage 3 pulling off jobs a good un

Also if you haven't already have a good long chat with your instructor, see if you can go do some quieter junctions to practise. They are there to help but can't unless you tell what you're struggling with,

Also remember nothing is as tough as that Mod 1 - so if you can do that you can nail this!

Hi, agree with all the above, its basically a confidence thing, dont be afraid to rev the engine and use the clutch smoothly to pull away, probably a good idea to practice some fast starts on a closed area to get that confidence of using the clutch lever, it sounds like your a sensible person or I wouldn't be suggesting it, but take a look at this :thumb:

">
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HI.

Thanks for the tips, they are really usefull I will ask my instructor if we can go somewhere quiet fro some practices.

Thank you for the You Tube video, that was very useful.

I think at give Way/trafiic lights if the ground is level, I can just ease the clutch out slowly until the bike starts to move then use the throttle slowly ot if I am really nervous use the throttle to rev the engine slightly then ease out the clutch and not press too hard on the back brake.

The more I think about it the more I am convinced I was probably trying to take off too quickly by releasing the clutch too quickly hence why I was stalling. I did wonder if I was releasing the clutch quickly while pressing the back brake (which I should still move tho slowly)

Also one of the best things my instructor told me was:

"Stop trying to drive it like a car.. Under 2k rpm.. These bikes have 11-15k rpm.. They love to 'sing'.. Just a little bit"