Winter jacket advice

Need some advice on picking a winter jacket as my summer one even with lining in its freezing already.

Don't want to spend more than 100 but cheaper the better. Obviously after something warm and waterproof, what would be best leather or textile? Heard leather better waterproof but textile warmer, is this true? Any suggestions?

Leather is not normally waterproof....unless it has a waterproof membrane or liner...... :wink:

I'd say your best bet is Textiles......and Goretex if you can get it.....but that's pretty unlikely with your budget unless you go secondhand..... :wink:

A lot of folks reckon RST gear is good.....I don't know though because my textile gear is either Triumph or Rukka..... 8-)

Ebay is your best bet. Some of my mates have found ridiculous deals on eBay.

I personally only have a textile Alpinestar waterproof jacket as it already has an extra lining in it, when it's really cold I'll stick a hoody underneath.

Ebay for sure.

Also, when it's sub zero, I wear a cheap windproof cycling jacket under my textile jacket (on top of a fleece). It was £15, and gives far more warmth per £ than any of my other kit.

The reduced price jackets from Triumph Outlet meet your £100 limit and will be superior to eBay tat. The one I got last month is outstanding and has understated logo branding to boot.

The reduced price jackets from Triumph Outlet meet your £100 limit and will be superior to eBay tat. The one I got last month is outstanding and has understated logo branding to boot.

Mawsley is right. I got some stuff from them last year: classy, high quality gear for the same price as tat anywhere else.

Or get a waterproof overjacket for the really wet or cold days and treat it as another layer to your existing jacket and its liner. The Spada 912 is totally waterproof (boy have I tested it to the limits), wind proof so helping to keep you warm and it is £25 on ebay.

Mawsley is right.

Never in the history of ever has this been said about me.

I've getting this made into a mug, a wedding present for the wife and a back tattoo.

I would like a "never in the history of....." mug. It could be the new "keep clam and...."

Whatever you buy, add £10 on top and visit Blacks and buy their waterproof washing machine stuff, apparently keeps your gear waterproof after washing it and can even add a little bit of waterproofing to things like jeans and gloves that may not be necessarily advertised as waterproof.

Thanks for replies everyone.

Triumph outlet does look good and much prefer an understated logo, liking the look of this one, anyone ever tried it...

http://www.triumphfactoryoutlet.com/jackets/triumph-mens-endeavour-motorcycle-jacket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good armour nice jacket I got one for my misses.... She is happy (although not tested in rain) with it doubt you will get better for the money.

You have to pay for any returns....

Ended up going down goretex route, found an almost new Frank Thomas jacket in my size for auction ending midday Monday, won it for £31 :) turned up today and feels good, will have to go for a ride at the weekend to test it out hehe

Ended up going down goretex route, found an almost new Frank Thomas jacket in my size for auction ending midday Monday, won it for £31 :) turned up today and feels good, will have to go for a ride at the weekend to test it out hehe

You did well there! I too needed to change to something warmer, I bought an RST textile "Tundra" which said numerous good things about waterproof etc main concern I had was will it dry after getting soaked on outside on my commute to work. Yesterday in all the rain, stayed warm and dry. And the jacket on the outside was dry after a few hours in the office. Pretty happy with it so far especially as bought it new from someone on eBay who changed their mind for £40, cheapest with other sellers was £130 new.

Thanks for replies everyone.

Triumph outlet does look good and much prefer an understated logo, liking the look of this one, anyone ever tried it...

http://www.triumphfactoryoutlet.com/jackets/triumph-mens-endeavour-motorcycle-jacket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too late now, but for anyone else...

I got this. Toasty warm, waterproof like the ducky's back passage and nifty with pockets. There's venting for sunny days, although that's when my leather will be back on. It's a very well thought out jacket and a steal at less than £100. Strongly commended to the house.

Yeah never let an auction end in middle of weekday :)

Cheers still interested in triumph one but needed something quick as while layering up worked fine was feeling like Michelin man and could barely move lol hopefully will still be up for that price when got the cash to spare on it, won't hurt getting more gear can never have too much ;)