Anyone used self levelling compound?

Mr Fro

My workshop floor is all wibbly-wobbly where it was originally tamped (bit like a really heavy brushed finish). There's also a bit of a fall off to the rear corners.

The finished surface will probably be PVC floor tiles so I need to minimally fill the "troughs" in the ripples to prevent knackering the tiles.

I'm a bit torn - I was thinking to either use a dry sand/cement mix and filling to the top of the peaks but I'm concerned that because the underside of the PVC tiles is hollow that the tiles could sink over time. Option 2 is self levelling - I have no experience of it. Is it really as simple as mixing it up, pouring it, shoving it about with a spiked roller then presto, it's smooth and flat?

YouTube/Google are contradictory - some say pour it and it'll flatten out whereas others say you need to trowel it off or you end up with mounds.

Any info or experience would be great!

Cheers,

Fro

I'd like to do my garage floor one day.

I was looking at the self leveling stuff too. Looks good. Need spikey shoes and spiky roller to get it level.

If you're not planning to drive a car in there, I've seen some people lay celotex insulation, with ply over the top and clip together plastic tiles to make it a bit warmer under foot.

Definitely going to get some heavy use so whatever I use needs to be up to the job. So long as it sticks well to the concrete and fills all the voids then self levelling should be fine (says my brain without much evidence :-))

I don't mind spreading the muck about a but but I want to avoid troweling if I can... I had a bash at plastering once... it didn't go well!