To stubby, or not to stubby

Bhawk

Hey everyone, i have a yamaha thundercat yzf600r (carb'd bike)

It has a micron exhaust on but its ferkin mahoosive.

I am tempted on shortening it, i know how to shorten it and im pretty sure i can do a good job of it.

However, tinternet cant seem to decide whether its ok to do or not. Some places say it will damage the engine, some say it is perfectly fine to do, and some say the carbs will need to be completely re-jetted.

So, i would rather trust the advice from you lovely folks.

The only reason i want to chop it is for aesthetics and sound, is it worth doing?

Hey everyone, i have a yamaha thundercat yzf600r (carb'd bike)

It has a micron exhaust on but its ferkin mahoosive.

I am tempted on shortening it, i know how to shorten it and i'm pretty sure i can do a good job of it.

However, tinternet can't seem to decide whether its ok to do or not. Some places say it will damage the engine, some say it is perfectly fine to do, and some say the carbs will need to be completely re-jetted.

So, i would rather trust the advice from you lovely folks.

The only reason i want to chop it is for aesthetics and sound, is it worth doing?

F*ck it. Do it :thumb:

p.s

I have no/zero knowledge in this matter [on any matter] and also I am an idiot so I would just do it and see what happen, I am just like that... :D

Its a road legal as far as im aware, i like sleepy's logic.... i think ill take some time off work just to play with it, i have money in case i need to retune it so whats the worst that could happen :wink:

Its a road legal as far as im aware, i like sleepy's logic.... i think ill take some time off work just to play with it, i have money in case i need to retune it so whats the worst that could happen :wink:

It will be a lot harder if it has internal baffles

personally I wouldn't go the whole stubby route but just a bit shorter to make it look neater

if you don't mind getting it set up on a dyno then I would look at shortening it a bit and putting a straight through perforated pipe inside it doing this will alter the running characteristics of the bike! you will lose a touch of mid range but nothing to write home about but a good tuner would get it back for you

nows the time for me to sound daft, whats the difference between a straight through and a road legal can?

You can see the exhaust in this other thread: https://themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=61310

im only thinking of maybe taking a third of the length off, make it look a bit better

Jesus that is long!

if you took the exhaust off then a straight through is just that you can see straight through

internal baffles will stop you seeing through

although most road legal cans these days have a removable baffle that then makes the exhaust straight through

by the looks of it I think that can would be straight through with a removable baffle

Sell it and get a Pipewerx can. Avoid the tri oval as the hanger on those isn't great for thundercats.

I had a Pipewerx on my Thundercat when I had it and it was way shorter than that and was well built.

Also remember it will have to pass a mot at some stage so you may end up having to buy a new can anyway ...so either chop this one that has passed as is and then risk having to find a new standard/legal can to pass mot ... or save this can for future and buy a can that matches what you want .

You aren't going to do any damage in the first thousand miles, and then if you do need to adjust fuelling it's not difficult or expensive. Go for it and in a 1000 miles pull the spark plugs and see what colour they are.

This on an SV650, with the baffle out, used to set off car alarms on the parked cars as you rode down a town centre high street.

Now I'm deaf and I've grown up I just have OEM or road legal exhausts.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd82/colinbal4/P1000533.jpg