1k almost for seized engine [emoji27]

xtreme0964

Hi all, I've got a cbf125 and the engine seized when I was riding home, I got the engine started again a few minutes later and continued on my way.

The engine started throwing out blue/white smoke and had the possible seal/head gasket sign.

Dropped it into a garage on Monday morning and they have just managed to look at it earlier and said the engine had seized and damaged the cylinder, they spoke to Honda and the parts will cost 590 but with labour I'll be looking near 1000 pound to repair [emoji33][emoji33]

Does that sound right?

A few mates have said that's too much to charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The garage did say about a second hand engine off eBay but I'm not sure if the engines would be trustworthy and true, plus I don't want to get one that might be about to have problems.

The bike is 2010 model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my limited experiance 125's are fairly easy to work on. Buying a second hand engine is just as unknown as the bike you have just had seize on you.

Fixing your engine will save 100% on labour, unlikely to spend the full £590 on parts as the garage quote for extras incase they need replacing, you can buy only the necessary parts, plus you learn about how your bike ticks for future troubleshooting.

Maybe ask around here, there's bound to be someone close by that would help you in return for bacon butties and a few beers.

I wonder if Phil Young is near you.. he must have replaced about eight engines by now :lol: :lol:

If it were me and I needed the bike for transport I'd source a second hand engine and fit that, then rebuild the original engine myself and sell on the spare again afterwards.