Shoulder straps on jeans

Lat's silly question of the day:

Are the shoulder straps on my textile jeans just for comfort, or are they important for keeping the jeans in place in the event of an off? There is a full length zip for attaching them to the jacket too, which I've never bothered with, so should I use at least of the two options or can I just ditch the straps and not bother attaching the two parts?

I gather that most track days require a one piece suit, or tops and bottoms which zip together at the very least, so should the same apply for normal riding?

with some textiles.. the straps are there to hold them up.. they can be fairly heavy with armour and such, more for walking about than actual riding I reckon. Ive never bothered zipping parts together even when the upper and lower could be zipped together cause they matched. too inconvenient for my taste. You might be more comfortable zipping together a short style jacket.. to low cut jeans.. for example to stop draughts.. but most gear overlaps so this shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Gerontious

I have braces, they're alright and I stick a hoody/ jumper over the top of them if I'm going somewhere and don't want to look daft :D

It's only daft if your trousers come up as far as your nipples. You wear a flat cap... Use black pudding as an offensive weapon and say ee by gum a lot. Wearing a hoody will cancel any or all of these.

Smart choice :thumb:

Edited by Gerontious

Just to confirm the vanity behind the question, it's because I'm trying to get away wearing work shirts under my bike gear to save getting changed at the office, and it's only the braces creasing my shirt which are undermining my efforts! :mrgreen:

Will definitely zip together if ditching the braces though. :thumb:

Just to confirm the vanity behind the question, it's because I'm trying to get away wearing work shirts under my bike gear to save getting changed at the office, and it's only the braces creasing my shirt which are undermining my efforts! :mrgreen:

Will definitely zip together if ditching the braces though. :thumb:

you won't be doing that in summer

you will have some nice sweat marks on the shirts by the time you get to work :lol:

If your trousers fit properly and no one can debag you then braces aren't really needed if your waist is bigger than the rest of you then you may have a problem holding them up :lol: