confidence boost

I'll be in attendance to those when I can Goody :thumb:.

After you've done your refresher I'd advise just ride as much as possible, you'll always be wary of your mistakes for the first accident. However you'll not make the same mistake, you'll be a safer rider and the confidence will come back the more you get out on the bike :D. That's how it worked for me anyway after grabbing too much front on the 125 in greasy conditions, took me a while but I feel ok now :).

you are definetely more confident than i will be for awhile yet but working at my confidence :D i will take your advice thought t :D hankyou very much

Spend time around bikes just looking in show rooms sitting on bikes trying helmets gloves jackets ect you'll get so wrapped up in what you want (but can't always afford lol) you won't have time to be nervous

hello again i am looking at bikes every weekend i have a jacket,helmet,gloves and boots no leather pants yet.i know which bikes i realy like just need that confidence boost and i hope to meet some bikers near home i could go out with on the roads.

Keep an eye on the northwest meets section will be posting a few rides as summer gets closer and j&s is the normal breakfast and brew before so just up the rd

sounds great to me i go there alot and will definetely keep an eye on the meets :D

As someone still building confidence for the first time, lots of riding is definitely the answer for me.

Have found myself doing a lot of riding the last couple of weeks, and on the way in to work this morning had a sudden moment of thinking ”I'm noticeably better at this than I was a month ago”. It's a mix of bike handling skills and increasing road awareness which has given me more confidence, and it feels good!

Don't get me wrong - I'm no London motorbike courier weaving in and out, but I'm filtering in places I didn't a few weeks ago, and am notably more confident in corners and on roundabouts etc. Had a few moments on some of the twistier roads where I felt I really nailed a corner or two, which has given me even more desire to improve my riding and get more out of the whole experience.

hello there thats good that you feel better riding have you been riding bikes for long

No, not long at all. Did my CBT and DAS in Nov/Dec last year, got my bike mid-Jan, and have apparently done 1,250 miles since then.

As someone still building confidence for the first time, lots of riding is definitely the answer for me.

Have found myself doing a lot of riding the last couple of weeks, and on the way in to work this morning had a sudden moment of thinking ”I'm noticeably better at this than I was a month ago”. It's a mix of bike handling skills and increasing road awareness which has given me more confidence, and it feels good!

Don't get me wrong - I'm no London motorbike courier weaving in and out, but I'm filtering in places I didn't a few weeks ago, and am notably more confident in corners and on roundabouts etc. Had a few moments on some of the twistier roads where I felt I really nailed a corner or two, which has given me even more desire to improve my riding and get more out of the whole experience.

hello there thats good that you feel better riding have you been riding bikes for long

No, not long at all. Did my CBT and DAS in Nov/Dec last year, got my bike mid-Jan, and have apparently done 1,250 miles since then.

wow you have done so well what size bike you ride now then i passed my cbt in january last year but want to do my mod1 but firslyt booked arefresher to build my confidence up

thats brilliant i passed my cbt lastyear and hoping to do the mod1 next after my refresher :D

In October 2015 I was going around a corner when I caught a patch of mud and ended up breaking my elbow. I did not feel any loss of confidence though, so expecting the roads to be quiet on New Year's Day I decided to go to Brighton then as my first time back on the bike after recovering from surgery. I managed okay but was a little hesitant on corners. Yet each time out after that it just got worse until one day I was scared for my own safety just a few miles from home on a pretty average 30 road, when my hesitance and positioning allowed a couple of white vans to undertake me.

Not knowing why it was like that, what I decided to do was go back to the very beginning.

Although I was encouraged to take the CBT on a scooter, I still ended up getting a bike so had to teach myself gears. This meant my first time out I just rode around on the three or four local streets next to mine, the second time adding the three or four on the uphill side, and so on just gradually going further and even more gradually going from quieter roads to more major ones.

So I did the same things again and just totally rebuilt my confidence from scratch. It was boring a lot of the time, but it worked.

Unfortunately a little over a year later, last November I had another accident this time breaking my little finger. Which sounds trivial but has been far more annoying and longer to recover from than the elbow, even without needing surgery. Also this time I cannot definitely explain the accident, I was just gently braking as I approached a red light and suddenly fell over. As the stock tyres are supposed to be awful and it had been raining, my best guess is that the road surface was smooth where it had been manually laid around a manhole cover and so the bike just lost grip.

Having had the tyres replaced I went out for the first time at the weekend. I still did not feel nervous about riding, but after last year's experience I was a little worried about the same happening again. Especially since I am not certain what caused the accident to learn from it. So I decided to start on the original three of four streets to see how I felt, and in the end did around 20-odd miles around town before giving up out of boredom as everything felt fine. I then did another similar ride the other night, which was also fine. This weekend I plan on heading out of town on some B roads to see how things go there. With the way it seemed to get worse last time I do not want to force anything now, but I feel pretty confident about it.

From all that my advice would be to not force yourself to do anything you do not yet feel comfortable about as it can be detrimental. The only way to get confidence is by experience, so keep things as simple as you need to be able to spend as much time as you can on the bike without worry. That way it will rebuild itself naturally.

In October 2015 I was going around a corner when I caught a patch of mud and ended up breaking my elbow. I did not feel any loss of confidence though, so expecting the roads to be quiet on New Year's Day I decided to go to Brighton then as my first time back on the bike after recovering from surgery. I managed okay but was a little hesitant on corners. Yet each time out after that it just got worse until one day I was scared for my own safety just a few miles from home on a pretty average 30 road, when my hesitance and positioning allowed a couple of white vans to undertake me.

Not knowing why it was like that, what I decided to do was go back to the very beginning.

Although I was encouraged to take the CBT on a scooter, I still ended up getting a bike so had to teach myself gears. This meant my first time out I just rode around on the three or four local streets next to mine, the second time adding the three or four on the uphill side, and so on just gradually going further and even more gradually going from quieter roads to more major ones.

So I did the same things again and just totally rebuilt my confidence from scratch. It was boring a lot of the time, but it worked.

Unfortunately a little over a year later, last November I had another accident this time breaking my little finger. Which sounds trivial but has been far more annoying and longer to recover from than the elbow, even without needing surgery. Also this time I cannot definitely explain the accident, I was just gently braking as I approached a red light and suddenly fell over. As the stock tyres are supposed to be awful and it had been raining, my best guess is that the road surface was smooth where it had been manually laid around a manhole cover and so the bike just lost grip.

Having had the tyres replaced I went out for the first time at the weekend. I still did not feel nervous about riding, but after last year's experience I was a little worried about the same happening again. Especially since I am not certain what caused the accident to learn from it. So I decided to start on the original three of four streets to see how I felt, and in the end did around 20-odd miles around town before giving up out of boredom as everything felt fine. I then did another similar ride the other night, which was also fine. This weekend I plan on heading out of town on some B roads to see how things go there. With the way it seemed to get worse last time I do not want to force anything now, but I feel pretty confident about it.

you are so lucky i thought i was accident proned your worse than me so glad your ok and managed to build your confidence up again thats what i want booked arefresher course

From all that my advice would be to not force yourself to do anything you do not yet feel comfortable about as it can be detrimental. The only way to get confidence is by experience, so keep things as simple as you need to be able to spend as much time as you can on the bike without worry. That way it will rebuild itself naturally.

you are so lucky i thought i was accident proned your worse than me so glad your ok and managed to build your confidence up again thats what i want booked arefresher course

thankyou very much for the advice i will get there now you are so brave and done so well getting back to biking after your accidents i will get on the refresher course and pass that bike test, what bike do you ride now then

thankyou very much for the advice i will get there now you are so brave and done so well getting back to biking after your accidents i will get on the refresher course and pass that bike test, what bike do you ride now then

I am still on my YBR125 Custom. After completing the CBT I just looked through for sale ads for the best Japanese brand bike being sold and it came up. But despite it repeatedly trying to kill me, I am kind of fond of it. I do not commute so most of my riding is days out on the weekends, and it gets me around okay. I was in Southampton when I broke my finger, having already been to Gosport and Portsmouth that morning. It could be a bit faster as it has only reached 70 a few times, and is useless in the dark, but otherwise I am happy with it.

If everything remains okay with my head then I plan to do my tests as soon as possible. It is mainly being allowed on motorways rather than a bigger bike that is a problem, which is why I kept procrastinating over them last year. It just seems weird I can go on roads like the A3 and A23 which are just like motorways, yet have to leave when the signs change colour.

Good luck regaining your confidence and on your tests.

I am still on my YBR125 Custom. After completing the CBT I just looked through for sale ads for the best Japanese brand bike being sold and it came up. But despite it repeatedly trying to kill me, I am kind of fond of it. I do not commute so most of my riding is days out on the weekends, and it gets me around okay. I was in Southampton when I broke my finger, having already been to Gosport and Portsmouth that morning. It could be a bit faster as it has only reached 70 a few times, and is useless in the dark, but otherwise I am happy with it.

If everything remains okay with my head then I plan to do my tests as soon as possible. It is mainly being allowed on motorways rather than a bigger bike that is a problem, which is why I kept procrastinating over them last year. It just seems weird I can go on roads like the A3 and A23 which are just like motorways, yet have to leave when the signs change colour.

Good luck regaining your confidence and on your tests.

you are doing so well and thankyou very much i want this so bad is that were your from portsmouth then

you are doing so well and thankyou very much i want this so bad is that were your from portsmouth then

No, I live in London so was coming from there. Going to Portsmouth was actually my big mistake as I never planned on going there, but it was such a nice sunny morning (if very cold) that looking at it from across the river I decided to make a detour to visit even though it was in completely the wrong direction. Unfortunately the weather turned to heavy rain when I was on the way to Southampton, so had I not been to Portsmouth I would have missed that downpour and not had to stop on that wet road.

I made my first post-accident trip out of town on Sunday, just to north Kent. It went okay but it was difficult to read too much from the experience as it was far too windy for a small bike. I had to be slow and cautious just to stay in a straight line!

Have you had any chance to ride any more yet? When is your refresher course?

No, I live in London so was coming from there. Going to Portsmouth was actually my big mistake as I never planned on going there, but it was such a nice sunny morning (if very cold) that looking at it from across the river I decided to make a detour to visit even though it was in completely the wrong direction. Unfortunately the weather turned to heavy rain when I was on the way to Southampton, so had I not been to Portsmouth I would have missed that downpour and not had to stop on that wet road.

I made my first post-accident trip out of town on Sunday, just to north Kent. It went okay but it was difficult to read too much from the experience as it was far too windy for a small bike. I had to be slow and cautious just to stay in a straight line!

i have my refresher on tuesday so nervous but will see if i get back on the bike or not i want to but we will see its at 330 :crybaby:

Good luck let us know how you get on. Come back worth positive news my other half is tempted but terrified to learn..

Positive news I can show her would be great... no pressure :D

Relax and enjoy...

No need to be nervous. Just keep reminding yourself that an instructor will not make you do anything you are not capable of doing, so you can let them do all the worrying and you are free to enjoy yourself.

Good luck.

Good luck let us know how you get on. Come back worth positive news my other half is tempted but terrified to learn..

Relax and enjoy...

thankyou very much will let you know how i get on

No need to be nervous. Just keep reminding yourself that an instructor will not make you do anything you are not capable of doing, so you can let them do all the worrying and you are free to enjoy yourself.

Good luck.

thankyou very much will let you know how i get on tomorrow you take care too

Good luck.

thank you very much will let you all knw how i get on :D

i have my refresher on tuesday so nervous but will see if i get back on the bike or not i want to but we will see its at 330 :crybaby:

i did it so pleased with myself need another as i kept putting my hand on the front brake when stopping and wobbled the bike

Relax and enjoy...

thankyou very much will let you know how i get on

i did it but need another as i kept putting my hand on the front brake when stopping was so nervous but done it and want abike asap

Good luck.

thankyou very much will let you know how i get on tomorrow you take care too

done it so happy now :D