Can't find neutral when running?

Justarn

Hello ppl, how you been?

Just wanna pick your brains, I got an issue with the xjr1200 recently. She doesn't wanna let me select neutral when running?

Today I rebuilt both the master and slave cylinders with the rebuild kits, spent 3hrs bleeding the bitch lol, still the same.

Clutch is dragging a little too.

Fitted the barnet spring conversion and heavy duty plates 200miles ago, it's been fine until the may day? Just had a chance to do the seals today, was sure it would be that...

Any ideas?

I'm a bit confused too . I would definitely say that it would be harder to locate neutral if the clutch was dragging but I don't quite see why it would be easier with the bike on the centre stand. The position of the swinging arm shouldn't have any effect on the tightness of the chain otherwise chains would get stretched and output shaft bearings would get ripped out when the bike went over bumps. I reckon the key is to eliminate all trace of clutch drag . Maybe,despite your best efforts, there's still air in the system . Do you have a factory manual that gives service limits for the clutch push rod length ? Perhaps that is worn . Another cause of clutch drag is warped plates . To check these you'll need a perfectly flat surface and a feeler gauge . Also look for signs of scorching and discoloration caused by possible lack of oil . If the back end is jacked up then maybe this has reduced the oil level . Anyway these are just a few ideas to play with and I hope you get it sorted quickly.

It's easier on the centre stand coz the clutch isn't dragging as much coz the wheel is turning. Deffo a clutch problem IMHO.

I see what you mean and I agree . I just didn't picture the wheel turning , makes sense.

Can prove that by keeping the rear brake on when trying to select neutral.

I'd put money on either a) still air in the system b) warped plates.

A sheet of glass (newish not old!) is a good surface to check for warped discs. if not available then place two discs together and check for any gap at the edges using a torch.

:thumb:

Can prove that by keeping the rear brake on when trying to select neutral.

I'd put money on either a) still air in the system b) warped plates.

A sheet of glass (newish not old!) is a good surface to check for warped discs. if not available then place two discs together and check for any gap at the edges using a torch.

:thumb:

Or use an engineers table . BTW its all sorted now . A thin wire spring clip type thing had come adrift .

Cheers Bob, yep. It was rubbing between a friction ring and a plate. Some retaining wire clip thing had removed itself at one end and slipped up outta it's groove.

Can't believe I paid a garage £150 to fit this clutch, 10min job wtf.

IMG_20180629_174401.thumb.jpg.71452bf8e8f7a421531063d9c718b211.jpg

IMG_20180629_174358.thumb.jpg.e244ca9ba6f46af3957225c38cd805bd.jpg

IMG_20180629_174355.thumb.jpg.5ba8337bb90bc1450e110a870901ab13.jpg