Ride to Work Day - 18th July

MCIA Bike Squads

The Motorcycle Industry Association (MCIA) are launching a major campaign this summer, called Now's the Time. The principal aim is to raise awareness of the impending 2DLD legislation, which from 2008, will make it harder and more costly for people to take their bike test.

As part of this campaign, the MCIA are deploying Bike Squads in major cities across the UK on national 'Ride to Work Day', which takes place on Wednesday 18th July 2007. The will is to generate press coverage and Promote the benefits of being on two Wheels: including reducing congestion, Shorter journey Times and a more convenient way to travel.

What can you do'?

As an active biker, your support can make this campaign a great success. The MCIA would like bikers to arrange their own Bike Squad For the 'Ride to Work Day' in your home town i.e. Wakefield-Leeds By doing this, you will be joining hundreds of other bike enthusiasts around the UK that are taking part and supporting the MCIA.

What will this involve?

It's really easy to take part, all you need to do is follow these simple steps:

* Bike Squad's need to contain ideally four riders, so speak to your friends and get them to join you on Wednesday 18 July. (Note - it you have more than four riders, we would suggest splitting into smaller groups).

* Starting at a central and convenient location, plan your route that will maximise your exposure to traffic jams.

*Plan your ride for either lam to 9am or 4pm to 6prn on the day. This is when traffic congestion is at its peak. If you have time and people you can ride during both time slots for maximum exposure.

* The MCIA will provide you and your Bike Squad members with high visibility vests to wear during your ride. The vests will feature the MC'I's Now's the Time branding and key messages, including:

Stuck in another jam? ...takeyourbiketestnow.com

Fed up of traffic? ..takeyourbiketestnow.com

Wish you had a bike? ...takeyourbiketestnow.com

I'll be there before you! ...takeyourbiketestnow.com

* Let the MCIA know that you are taking part, your Route and Time and they can help you publicise the ride with your local press.

Contact [email protected] or call 07769681 166.

NB. Although not a MAG event, We do endorse it as it aims to see more people on bikes (which is what MAG wants also !!)

Edited by vicki

Copied and pasted it! Is there summat wrong with it, billy no mates??

:P

Oi, I've got mates the follow me wherever I go cause they in me head :?

Got spelling mishtakes all over it :)

ffs you lot its copied and pasted..........you get the general idea dont you!

Never mind the spelling, just read it, and decide if you wanna be involved.

Pissed off now :twisted:

Sod off :up:

I think we should get some of us together, even if just 4 and we aint gonna go to work. Would be good publicity, if I went of the site bike :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's us sorted out!

There'll be a bunch of us meeting at the Priory Island on the A52 at around 8am and doing a circuitous route into work on Castle Marina (possibly by way of a mini ride-out up and down the Nottingham Ring-Road during rush hour lol).

Anyone else working in Nottingham and wanting to join our merry little band of queue-jumpers, please pm me!

That's us sorted out!

There'll be a bunch of us meeting at the Priory Island on the A52 at around 8am and doing a circuitous route into work on Castle Marina (possibly by way of a mini ride-out up and down the Nottingham Ring-Road during rush hour lol).

Anyone else working in Nottingham and wanting to join our merry little band of queue-jumpers, please pm me!

you're quite close to me (Queen's Drive) - i ain't got a bike STILL but have got my gear and would normally be on fella's bike but that's booked in the garage on Wednesday so he can't even take me :cry: oh well.

Well how did it go?

Great, fabulous, spiffing - nearly got taken out by two phone phuckwits and then got flashed as I tried to put distance between me and TEXTING white van man.

A day I won't forget - well for the next three years anyway :evil:

Not too bad!

We couldn't do a ride in in the morning as I'd been dragged away to do something else, so we got together at 5.30 and went round the Notts Ring Road in a wee small convoy.

Matey on the Vespa had a few probs keeping up lol

Nottingham ring road? :shock: You have my sympathy. :lol:

Ah! The joys of the Notts road system!

Weaving round one a-hole in a souped up Astra trying to block the road by straddling the centre white lines near the Raleigh Island, blocked all the traffic except for the three bikes. He helped make our point rather well, I thought.

Oh and the muppet kid on a blue Gilera hairdryer trying to get us to race him - what a dork!