I almost ran out of talent today - Thoughts on what caused the near fall?

techniques

Start of with what you can eliminate in the event of the unexplained/unexpected  .

Is your bike as it should be?

Tyres pressure ok 

Tyre tread wearing evenly and present  

Suspension ok and no leaks 

All fastenings as should be 

All controls as should be 

Then check the Rider ....

Then look for other factors which you may never replicate but if you do then repeat the above and see if you can find the cause ...

99% time you will find you get to Checking the rider and find that the issue could have been avoided if they had done x y z differently ie better  observations or better application of rider control.

Its still cold in the mornings. so that's one thing.

The only time that I really scared myself is when I found a stretch of tarmac that had be pushed down by heavy trucks (I found out later). the road just rolls away from you. taking the grip with it.

Applying the throttle in the way that's usual for you may still be harsh.  I know that on my bike some people complain about killing their tyres after 3000miles.  Mine has over 10,000 and I cant see any wear or squaring off yet.   I only know that I add throttle progressively and I don't steer with the rear.

For you own piece of mind you should ride that corner a little more slowly to check it out and then build up again.

Maybe .....

After a few months of rubbish weather & slippy roads the tyres can become squared off, when the weather improves and cornering angles increase the bike can fall suddenly off the squared off shoulder onto the side of the tyre, this can give a feeling of a rear slide & a reaction to this feeling such as tightening of the sphincter can induce a wobble.

Also as the rolling radius of the rear tyre suddenly decreases it can cause a raising of rev’s adding to the illusion of a slide.

Edited by Mickly
More guff