Brand new bike pron.

PaulCa

7 minutes ago, potatobroxd said:

Looks clean 👍. I'd personally get side panniers to get that big touring bike look

I went with top box only to keep it narrow for filtering.  It is significantly narrower than a litre bike in most regards.

It also has the "frunk".  The tank is under the seat.  The "tank" is actually storage enough for a full faced helmet... or a 12 pack of beer or 3 bottles of wine or a KFC/BK/MD meal or two.  When you park up, it will take your helmet and gloves.

I leave the top box off most times, but take it when I'm not sure the "frunk" will surfice.  The 50L top box gives me 2 full face helmet's worth of room.  Enough for 2 24 packs of beer (theoretically) or practically enough room to put your boots trousers and jacket and walk into the office like you just got out of the car.

Just as FYI, the images are clickable and zoomable.  For the full 6000x4000 Sony A6100 experience.

You can even see the uneven rotor colour because the brakes are not bedded in yet!  The rear brake pads are still BLUE!

Edited by PaulCa

I suppose "one" unique thing other than the "frunk", though related, is the angle of the cylinders.  Very forward/low angle.  "What a scooter wants to be when it grows up" I have heard levelled against it.  I donno, lower centre of gravity is a good thing right?

You can argue it's half a car engine.  (Honda jazz)  Maybe it even behaves that way.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing though.  It means it has bags and bags of torque low down, happy to put, put along at low RPM, doesn't rev really high so limited peak output.  That equates a sedentary pace while sipping petrol at 80mpg, but when you give it the beans that torque is amazing, it really does pick up well if you accept you aren't getting more than 40mph out of each gear.  That's the speed limit in 2nd mind.  Above 60mph, 4th 5th and 6th are elongated for economy and it just won't win any prizes for speed here.  Realistically, staying within the rules of the road, that works fine.  I always found the litre bikes endless unstoppable will to keep pulling well into triple figures interesting,  terrifying sometimes, but not becoming of staying penalty point free.  While at the same time, the litre bike in 1st and 2nd had to be treated with serious respect the NC is much more gentle.  Still have to work carefully with that torque though, snapping it open and taking the chain slack up in 1st will pop the wheel and in "SPORT" throttle curve mode it's very abrupt on the throttle.  Inversely in RAIN mode it's soooo much softer on and off the throttle.  Creature comforts, but I often switch to rain mode deliberately, just for comfort and relaxing.  Not every miss throttle by a few degrees causes a lurch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulCa said:

I suppose "one" unique thing other than the "frunk", though related, is the angle of the cylinders.  Very forward/low angle.  "What a scooter wants to be when it grows up" I have heard levelled against it.  I donno, lower centre of gravity is a good thing right?

You can argue it's half a car engine.  (Honda jazz)  Maybe it even behaves that way.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing though.  It means it has bags and bags of torque low down, happy to put, put along at low RPM, doesn't rev really high so limited peak output.  That equates a sedentary pace while sipping petrol at 80mpg, but when you give it the beans that torque is amazing, it really does pick up well if you accept you aren't getting more than 40mph out of each gear.  That's the speed limit in 2nd mind.  Above 60mph, 4th 5th and 6th are elongated for economy and it just won't win any prizes for speed here.  Realistically, staying within the rules of the road, that works fine.  I always found the litre bikes endless unstoppable will to keep pulling well into triple figures interesting,  terrifying sometimes, but not becoming of staying penalty point free.  While at the same time, the litre bike in 1st and 2nd had to be treated with serious respect the NC is much more gentle.  Still have to work carefully with that torque though, snapping it open and taking the chain slack up in 1st will pop the wheel and in "SPORT" throttle curve mode it's very abrupt on the throttle.  Inversely in RAIN mode it's soooo much softer on and off the throttle.  Creature comforts, but I often switch to rain mode deliberately, just for comfort and relaxing.  Not every miss throttle by a few degrees causes a lurch.

Oh dam I was going to quote you on the tasteless bike thread, but then I saw it was yours 😜.

They do sound like a nice practice bike and I cannot fault that.  I have one in the TDM900 70mpg  it needs about 3000rpm or it is not smooth and it has not got the modes both of which I can see the attraction off…

However I am spoiled and have my trophy 1200, which has most of the qualities you talk about in the litre bikes, my partner and daughter love it for pillion (main reason I can keep her).  Including licence loosing abilities, MPG in the sub 40 bracket, it’s heavy nearly 100kg heavier, it just doesn’t like slow rides… Given open roads it’s a joy to ride.

Yours looks a cracker, if she brings you happinesses you have the right bike.  I won’t let my daughter or partner sit on one they might like it then I would only have 1 bike in the stable 😲

10 hours ago, PaulCa said:

I went with top box only to keep it narrow for filtering.  It is significantly narrower than a litre bike in most regards.

It also has the "frunk".  The tank is under the seat.  The "tank" is actually storage enough for a full faced helmet... or a 12 pack of beer or 3 bottles of wine or a KFC/BK/MD meal or two.  When you park up, it will take your helmet and gloves.

I leave the top box off most times, but take it when I'm not sure the "frunk" will surfice.  The 50L top box gives me 2 full face helmet's worth of room.  Enough for 2 24 packs of beer (theoretically) or practically enough room to put your boots trousers and jacket and walk into the office like you just got out of the car.

Oh wow thats really unique, just searched a couple pics and its pretty spacious. Would you say its a fair trafeoff for the smaller gas tank? 

3 hours ago, potatobroxd said:

Oh wow thats really unique, just searched a couple pics and its pretty spacious. Would you say its a fair trafeoff for the smaller gas tank? 

Since they about a million miles per gallon that's hardly a problem.

The guy who rides with us is the one who rarely needs to refuel. Whereas I am worrying where the next petrol is by the time I pull off the forecourt.

3 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Since they about a million miles per gallon that's hardly a problem.

The guy who rides with us is the one who rarely needs to refuel. Whereas I am worrying where the next petrol is by the time I pull off the forecourt.

Yea, it's something like 160-180 miles per tank.  More if you try hard.