Can I have a tire with greater load index than what is written in specification?

Dawid126

Hi all,

as in the topic, I would like to put Avon Cobra Chrome 140/90/15 76H on my Virago 535, but I have found that the recomended load index is 70 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XV535 

Does the load index of the tire has to be exactly the same or it just has to be greater than the one specified in the technical specs?

This appears to refer to cars but appears to answer your question.

Link

Extract from linked article.

“You can use tyres with a higher load index than that recommended by the manufacturer, but do not use a tyre with a lower load index. A tyre with a lower load index cannot support the weight of the vehicle and its load”.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oldgrump said:

Hi @Dawid126, yes you can fit the Cobra's on the rear, but I don't think Avon make a Front 90/90 x 19 in the Cobra range?

What were you thinking for the Front?

Hi, I was thinking about the Avon Roadrider MK II on the front, because this model has 90/90/19 size. Their conversion chart also says that 3.00/19 is 90/90/19. What do you think about such mix - Cobra Chrome on the rear and Roadrider MK II on the front? Because I have read that putting a wider tire might decrease the performance, and the same I have read about mixing models and right now I have no idea what to think :D

Yes the conversion of the 3.00/19 is 90/90/19. But if you look at the Avon site for your bike, they recommend the Cobra 100/90/19 on the front.