Biking afternoon - stinky gloves & love handles

Fiddlesticks

Bit of a busy afternoon. Took Mrs. Fiddlesticks on the back to a big empty carpark to do some slow speed practising.  

👍U-turns within 2 car parking spaces width .    

👍Slalom between tennis balls cut in half.    

👍Figure 8s in just over 4 spaces.    

👍Counter-steering. 

- by the end of all that she was a bit dizzy so had a break while I had a go at..

👎circles on full lock. (More practise required here).

She's thinking about doing her CBT,  so I say,  here,  have a little sit on the XJR1300 without me and I'll walk you through where everything is.  

- OK.  

Want to start her up? 

- No,  it's too big, heavy and scary. 

Fair enough.  

Onwards to Southport Pier for a cuppa. All that work paid off as it was a tight turn to get back into the road afterwards. Satisfying to be able to do it without paddling. 

Just under an hour back to the Wirral, youngest lad (he's 21) wants a ride out. Took him the scenic route to the Tap at Eastham. Good biker spot. Back up the motorway home, topped up with Super for tomorrow morning's 40 mile commute.  

Been wearing what are known in our house as "love handles" -  actually Oxford Rider Pillion Grips. A big belt that has plastic handles for the pillion to hold. They're a bit hit, very comfortable for me (I can't tell they're being used) and the passenger finds them very reassuring. Not particularly cool though 😎

Finally took the gloves off.  Phew! They're getting old anyway, but they smell like cheese that's been left in the sun.   

Duly attacked them with the steam cleaner.  Will report back on effectiveness assuming they hold together.  

Night all. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JustinW said:

I've got those same love handles for pillions. Bloody brilliant. Suits me, as the one thing I hate about biking is people trying to look cool!

Same here, only thing is as it’s getting warmer, remember to tighten them or they fall to you ankles during lunch top. Then it’s quite possible to fall over them on the way to the toilet. Leaving you looking like a…..NOTD 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Quick update on the stinky gloves.  After a thorough steaming and a rub with Carex they no longer smell.

On the down side, when I put them on, any movement sounds like walking on empty crisp packets.

This is what is known in the trade as a "fail". 

If only I had Prince Andrew's problem...

No, not that one.🙄

Just the inability to sweat.😊

Instead,  a quick trip to the local motorcycle glove emporium. Fortunately they carry xxl size.

You know what they say...

Big hands.

Big gloves.

• Haha 1

My first date with my good lady came about as a result of a conversation which involved a colleague asking her if she’d ever been on a motorbike. “No”, she replied. And so our first date, as it were, was me taking her pillion on my Suzuki GSF600F. My instructions were for her to hold one hand on a grab handle, the other around my waist so she could brace (steady at the back there.., 🙄) during braking and acceleration. It’s a system she’s stuck with through many thousands of miles.

Though she doesn’t always hold on at all - on motorways or so she can take photos, for instance. I usually notice the camera in the mirror so adjust my riding accordingly. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

My instructions were for her to hold one hand on a grab handle, the other around my waist so she could brace

I don't remember if that is what I told my wife to do, but that is how she rides pillion and has done for over 40 years, since we were at school

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, keith1200rs said:

I don't remember if that is what I told my wife to do, but that is how she rides pillion and has done for over 40 years, since we were at school

My other instruction, which has come back to bite me, was “just sit like a sack of potatoes “… 

Do not, ever, tell a potential partner to sit like a sack of potatoes. My excuse, of course, is that I never thought we’d end up as partners. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2