boot recommendation for newbie

kurtbayne

I'm from the Seattle area snowbirding in Arizona, gonna trying motorcycling again.

Google is a fail, I've read a few posts and like you guys.

I'm 66, haven't ridden since 26? 

Plan on getting at most a 500, probably 300 or less.

Summer-type riding pretty much all the time, warm to hot, and dry.

So apparently, boots and safety is a thing, and I guess I'll try it if <$300

my preferred plan is getting on and off my bike 10-20 times a day, with lots of walking and sitting and other exercise.

to me, it makes sense just to have shoes to sit on the cycle, then take them off at every stop (unless gas station, something like that)

Priorities for me

1. fit (I am a UK 7.5? with fat feet, probably a normal to high arch still)

2. Quickest/easiest on-off (preferably one second per foot) - velcro? clamps? shackles? huge zippers?

3. can handle 2-3 hours of <90-degree weather

4. I'd rather have protective fabric rather than suffocating leather, s/g easy to maintain/neglect

I don't care about

1. looks

2. waterproofing

3. ease of walking

4. used is fine, I'm not squeamish

Any suggestions?  Thanks so much for reading and for any good advise

Many boots are water resistant if not waterproof. Our weather is rarely 100% guaranteed not to rain. 

Don't buy used boots unless the original owner hasn't used them. Used boots will have wear from the original owner and won't fit your foot properly even if you're the same size. 

I have leather boots from Merlin. Nice and protective. They have "outlast" which basically a wax built in that absorbs excess heat in the warmth and releases it back to you when cold. Worn them 2 years and I've no complaints.

Zip or boa closure is probably what you need. I don't like laces personally. 

Tcx and falco do good casual looking boost. 

This site has an affiliate link for sportsbikeshop. They have tons of kit on there

I am not sure why you want to repeatedly take them off. My priority was comfortable for walking in when I stop. While I have some Daytona ones for wet winter riding, my preferred ones are Falco short boots. I have a winter pair and summer pair. They are reinforced in various places with D3O over the ankle. They are laced but you leave the laces done up and unzip them once you have laced them to your liking. The winter ones are waterproof but not the summer ones.

You maybe want touring boots and replace the insoles with gel ones.

It makes them more comfortable and touring boot are usually better if you want to go walking