440,000 BMW GS Bikes To Get An Extra Test At Their Next Inspection

Admin

1 hour ago, Ian Frog said:

Ooh I hope someone breaks it to @Stu gently lol.

Cheers

Ian

It's for the gs not the RT 

Although the RT uses all the same running gear 

Thanks for posting this. My GS falls in the range of models that may (will?) need looking at, and I don’t trust my local Motorrad  dealer enough to do it as a matter of course. I’ll have to give them a prod when I take it in.

Completely normal for BMW, they did the same on my old bike when it first came out. plastic leaking tanks. changed if a problem was found. and the next year they stopped using plastic tanks. Gearbox fault. replaced gearboxes on affected bikes, though it took them 3 years to finally fix the problem with a redesigned gearbox.

Frames breaking in Australia. so hard parts were designed and shipped to OZ and fitted to bikes at service time.

not all plastic tanks leaked. not all gearboxes failed. no recalls issued. they called it a 'campaign' and bikes were checked at service. 

They finally ended the gearbox campaign when the first 1200 engine appeared.. after swapping affected gearboxes for almost 6 years.

BMW do not like recalls. but they do like 'campaigns'.

10 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Thanks for posting this. My GS falls in the range of models that may (will?) need looking at, and I don’t trust my local Motorrad  dealer enough to do it as a matter of course. I’ll have to give them a prod when I take it in.

If they don't. they risk losing their franchise. It will be on the system and they need to sign that off. if they do sign it off and then this fault occurs. they will be in deep shit with BMW. So, I can't see them 'not' doing it.. they will be paid by BMW to do it.

Similar thing happened to my Honda. I took it in for a service and they told me that a fault that I already knew about had to be rectified. I said my bike didn't have this particular fault. But, they told me they had no choice. if I refused the work they would need that in writing from me. I had it done... pointless as it was. But.. I got a new fuel pump assembly so...

12 hours ago, Gerontious said:

If they don't. they risk losing their franchise. It will be on the system and they need to sign that off. if they do sign it off and then this fault occurs. they will be in deep shit with BMW. So, I can't see them 'not' doing it.. they will be paid by BMW to do it.

Similar thing happened to my Honda. I took it in for a service and they told me that a fault that I already knew about had to be rectified. I said my bike didn't have this particular fault. But, they told me they had no choice. if I refused the work they would need that in writing from me. I had it done... pointless as it was. But.. I got a new fuel pump assembly so...

I’ve. Been spoilt by having a superb independent work on my bikes. My local dealer, since I relocated, failed to mention that my front pads were worn at the last service. It only came to light at the MoT. Their reply to my feedback was quite dismissive. I have, therefore, lost faith in them. 

• Like 2

Fair point !

But I have been known to get the opinion of a trusted independent before going to the franchised dealer and in the case of a new Nissan that had an airbag recall my independent spotted the replacement sender wasn`t connected correctly.

I would never have spotted that but it came up on his diagnostic computer so why didn`t it get spotted earlier?

I am sure some main dealers are spot on but a lot of indy`s seem to have ex franchised trained people so it seems worth shopping around.

As to my latest I shudder to think of a recall on that, its not exactly an untried or experimental unit lol.

Cheers

Ian

On 28/07/2022 at 18:52, Ian Frog said:

Fair point !

But I have been known to get the opinion of a trusted independent before going to the franchised dealer and in the case of a new Nissan that had an airbag recall my independent spotted the replacement sender wasn`t connected correctly.

I would never have spotted that but it came up on his diagnostic computer so why didn`t it get spotted earlier?

I am sure some main dealers are spot on but a lot of indy`s seem to have ex franchised trained people so it seems worth shopping around.

As to my latest I shudder to think of a recall on that, its not exactly an untried or experimental unit lol.

Cheers

Ian

No.

That doesn’t mean I trust this particular dealer. 

I’m considering a trip to Reiten in Suffolk for the next service as I do trust them. 

On 29/07/2022 at 19:38, Steve_M said:

No.

That doesn’t mean I trust this particular dealer. 

I’m considering a trip to Reiten in Suffolk for the next service as I do trust them. 

Visited Reiten many times. They stand out from the crowd and come across as a really decent BMW dealer. Baldocks in Peterborough are ok, too. Been let down too often by the others round here.  

On 01/08/2022 at 20:46, bonio said:

Visited Reiten many times. They stand out from the crowd and come across as a really decent BMW dealer. Baldocks in Peterborough are ok, too. Been let down too often by the others round here.  

A mate of mine takes his RT there and recommends them.