House RCD intermittent trip

Tiggie

41 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Swapping the RCD's over this afternoon :thumb:

I was reading an interesting story on a sparkies forum about a person who had a very intermittent fault. Would trip the breakers every couple of days or so, owners couldn't see what could be causing it so got electrician in. Turned out the owner had added some more nails to one of the floorboards in the toilet to stop it from squeaking, one of those nails had missed the joist and the end of it was resting on top of a cable. Whenever someone stood in just the right spot it would push very slightly into the cable and cause the trip. :shock:

If its just started and you've not been doing DIY 😂 it's most likely something your using 

First thing to do is swap the RCD as you’ve already said. They fail safe, which isn’t good for your house remaining powered.

If you think it’s the fridge or washer, you can check the fridge by setting it so it warms up, and then put it on the coldest setting to encourage the fault to emerge. The motor in the fridge can cause current spikes, especially if it’s old, corroded, etc, that can trip RCD’s. It becomes a game of elimination, which is usually expensive unfortunately! But hopefully just the RCD being faulty 

• Like 1

I'll try that with the fridge @Fozzie :thumb:

If the same side still goes I'm guessing it will be the fridge. Its only about 6 years old but they don't make things to last nowadays :roll:   I was going to test it by plugging it in the hallway as thats on a different circuit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

I'll try that with the fridge @Fozzie :thumb:

If the same side still goes I'm guessing it will be the fridge. Its only about 6 years old but they don't make things to last nowadays :roll:   I was going to test it by plugging it in the hallway as thats on a different circuit. 

That would also work 😁 

Success!!

It was my coffee percolator.  Whatever is wrong with it must of got worse as now it trips the breakers just plugging it in. Annoyingly I can't see anything wrong with it inside. Might leave it a couple of weeks and then plug it back in to see what happens. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tiggie said:

Success!!

It was my coffee percolator.  Whatever is wrong with it must of got worse as now it trips the breakers just plugging it in. Annoyingly I can't see anything wrong with it inside. Might leave it a couple of weeks and then plug it back in to see what happens. 

Definitely the machine,  not the socket it's plugged into?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Definitely machine. trips no matter where its plugged in. tried plugging it in hallway which is on different circuit and it tripped that too

Only asked as we once had a washing machine that kept dying,  coupled with a burning smell.  I thought it was the machine,  but it turned out a loose connection in the socket was arcing,  melting the whole socket from the inside. 

Glad you've got it sorted anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tiggie said:

Success!!

Suppression capacitor? If there isn't one, it could be a leaky element - with a single pole switch the other terminal is permanently connected to the element 

• Like 2