Suzuki GS 500E

andyspan

Hi,

I have a year 2000 Suzuki GS500e that I have owned since new and has covered 1700 miles only in that time.

I bought it as a bit of a mid-life thing when I reached the grand old age of 50, which now seems very young to me!

It has been kept undercover all those years and only returned to the road very occasionally when I felt the need to ride again!

I have recently got it back on the road again and had 2 new Bridgestone tyres fitted, oil and filter change and new plugs.

I've started riding it again but not sure if I want to continue or not.

It has a new M.O.T and is in great condition.

I am at the stage now of deciding if I want to keep it or sell it on.

It is obviously a very difficult bike to value as I have seen wildly differing prices on these.

Does anyone have any idea of what would be a fair price would be if I decided to part company.

I'm not angling for offers, just want to weigh up my options.

Thanks for any help

Andy

A quick glance at Autotrader shows dealers asking £2500 for older GS500s with low mileages. I had one years ago and it was a decent commuter other than the paintwork was terrible. You could try it as £2k as a private sale and see if you got any bites, it depends on condition of course. An old low mileage bike isn't always a good buy because they haven't always had regular servicing so you get things like old brake fluid which leads to corrosion within the braking system. So much depends what the service history is.

They aren't the most exciting of bikes so people would usually only want them as cheap transport. One advantage is they are dead simple. My guess is you'd need to be prepared to drop the price but no harm trying. There may be someone near you looking for something like that. Bike prices are a bit weird at the moment due to supply and demand.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. 

I'm wondering if @fastbob would be able to put a price in it he is more in to the 500 scene 

Well he has a type of 500 but really you'd want a Honda 500. Then again @fastboblikes mending bikes and Honda's 500s are bulletproof.

🤭

• Like 1

4 hours ago, andyspan said:

Hi,

I have a year 2000 Suzuki GS500e that I have owned since new and has covered 1700 miles only in that time.

I bought it as a bit of a mid-life thing when I reached the grand old age of 50, which now seems very young to me!

It has been kept undercover all those years and only returned to the road very occasionally when I felt the need to ride again!

I have recently got it back on the road again and had 2 new Bridgestone tyres fitted, oil and filter change and new plugs.

I've started riding it again but not sure if I want to continue or not.

It has a new M.O.T and is in great condition.

I am at the stage now of deciding if I want to keep it or sell it on.

It is obviously a very difficult bike to value as I have seen wildly differing prices on these.

Does anyone have any idea of what would be a fair price would be if I decided to part company.

I'm not angling for offers, just want to weigh up my options.

Thanks for any help

Andy

is it the one with the clip on style bars ?

I haven't got a lot to add to the very realistic assessment from Mr Bullfrog . It's an entry level commuter bike that is exactly equal to the sum of its parts . It has no style to speak of and is of little interest to collectors or custom builders alike . The most attractive feature by far is the mileage . This bike has taken twenty two years to equal the miles I traveled last month !  Put it out there for £ 2,000 and someone will come along in due course . 

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 2