x-lite 803 RS

Hi guys, recently I purchased an xlite 803 rs hot lap helmet in a size large, it instantly gave me a headache and hurt my eyes and ears so I sent it back and got an XL. I can wear it without getting a headache but it still feels odd, is it supposed to be sort of tightish and snug? I know its a racing helmet and the liner is thicker but Im not sure if I should just send this one back aswell? will my face and head shape eventually mould to the padding so its comfier or no?

• Like 1

It's a tough one, it's not just about size but shape as well. My local shop won't sell you a hemet unless they're happy it's a good fit for you. Have bought helmets online before, but only because they didn't have my colour in the shop at the time. Must have tried 4 or 5 XL size helmets before I found one that felt right.

Well I have an AGV K5S in size Large and that fits perfectly fine, but I can also see the liner is much thinner than the racing one... I'm just not sure if I should send it back or not because its a near £500 helmet and I got it for £310 but yeah...

24 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

It's a tough one, it's not just about size but shape as well. My local shop won't sell you a hemet unless they're happy it's a good fit for you. Have bought helmets online before, but only because they didn't have my colour in the shop at the time. Must have tried 4 or 5 XL size helmets before I found one that felt right.

• Like 1

I reckon you've pretty much reached the point of answering this yourself. You're not that happy with it, so why not send it back and get one you'll be comfortable in all day?

I got a bargain helmet from Sportsbikeshop a few years ago and kept wearing it (labels on) in the hope that the fit would improve. It looked great and matched the bike, and the price was unbeatable. But in the end I had to admit it was nowhere near as comfortable as my old lid, and it never would be.  I must have had it four or five months before I finally gave in.

Edited by bonio

24 minutes ago, bonio said:

I reckon you've pretty much reached the point of answering this yourself. You're not that happy with it, so why not send it back and get one you'll be comfortable in all day?

I got a bargain helmet from Sportsbikeshop a few years ago and kept wearing it (labels on) in the hope that the fit would improve. It looked great and matched the bike, and the price was unbeatable. But in the end I had to admit it was nowhere near as comfortable as my old lid, and it never would be.  I must have had it four or five months before I finally gave in.

Yeah you're probably right... I just wasn't sure if I was being really picky or not as this is my first "racing helmet" and wanted to know if pads eventually mould to the shape, but tbf you're right, I'll probably just return it honestly cause I'll end up regretting it else ahah. Cheers for the reply.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rice said:

Hi guys, recently I purchased an xlite 803 rs hot lap helmet in a size large, it instantly gave me a headache and hurt my eyes and ears so I sent it back and got an XL. I can wear it without getting a headache but it still feels odd, is it supposed to be sort of tightish and snug? I know its a racing helmet and the liner is thicker but Im not sure if I should just send this one back aswell? will my face and head shape eventually mould to the padding so its comfier or no?

With helmets I'd always say go and try them on in the shop. Bought a new commuting lid last weekend looking at a camera but it wasn't as comfy as the hjc I went for and they will check it's a good fit too. The colour I wanted wasn't in stock but ordered in atore and was delivered to my door the next day by sportsbikeshop 

3 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

With helmets I'd always say go and try them on in the shop. Bought a new commuting lid last weekend looking at a camera but it wasn't as comfy as the hjc I went for and they will check it's a good fit too. The colour I wanted wasn't in stock but ordered in atore and was delivered to my door the next day by sportsbikeshop 

Yeah will have to do that honestly, bit sad that I need to return it but all good ahaha, cheers for the reply:)

• Like 1