MP3 player whilest riding

I sometimes ride with music, but IMO it can't be a good idea :D seeing as I have to put the volume pretty high so I can hear it properly over the sound of my bike.

And sometimes I find because I can't hear the engine, I'll be pushing into high revs without realising, and sometimes downshifting too soon.

But adds to the enjoyment, alot :lol:

I think it is unlikely to be illegal to wear headphones. After all deaf people drive don't they? To that end it cannot be a requirement to hear. I appreciate people wanting to hear but if it does not affect your riding or distract you then each to their own surely.

With the intercom system I had on my Pan (RIP) from Starcom it is designed for use with the rider wearing earplugs and you can have a volume control mounted on the bars.. bit like your mans Wing earlier.

Personally I like to have my tunes :P

Those noise reduction ones made me laugh. Sony and panasonic spent jillions of pounds developing clever microphones and inverse sound waves to cancle noise, costing millions of pounds. And some company just put ear bud fones in a lump of foam.

Ever done a comparison??

Next time you fly somewhere take bungs with earphones and then try some noise cancelling earphones I think you should realise then why there's a market for the noise cancelling ones :wink:

as for the speakers in the lid..............been there done that many many years ago :lol: it doesn't work!

Sony or Sennheiser ear-canal earphones are great for bikes, More comfortable than earbuds and you don't have to play music to get the benefit.

^^^

are you talking about the noise reduction ones? I got some for my brother for xmas. I watched the new batman trailer on his ipod the other day with them in, it was like being in the cinema.

There really good, but I dont know how safe though as they block everything!

i have speakers, and that´s what i recomend to use because it doesn´t isolate you!!

^^^

are you talking about the noise reduction ones? I got some for my brother for xmas. I watched the new batman trailer on his ipod the other day with them in, it was like being in the cinema.

There really good, but I dont know how safe though as they block everything!

i have speakers, and that´s what i recomend to use because it doesn´t isolate you!!

but you can't exactly hear them when your engine's screaming 10k rpm down some country lane at ... err.. 70mph (honest guv) can yah? :)

I've got a set of Senhiesser noise cancelling earphones at home that I use on planes etc, and they're fantastic.. but can't use them under the lid as they "protude" from the ear a bit and rub on the helmet lining - DAMN annoying and a little sore after a while.

So I spent £20 on these puppies:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/store ... ms=MDREX32

They come with different sized rubber "bungs" so you can match them up to your own ear size, and they're really tiny and don't protude out.

Obv, they're not as good as the noise cancelling ones, but I can have my iPod at just less than half-volume and hear it crystal clear right through my rev range and even with motorway wind noises.

An added bonus is that their cable is quite long, so you can run the headphone cable down through your jacket and out the bottom, meaning you can stick your iPod in a tankbag etc for ease of access :)

I use my O2 Ignito PDA/phone that has built in sat nav with Tomtom 7 installed for all the speed camera warnings, paired up with some JVC in ear plugs. I just keep it in my leathers and works a treat too! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the topic... I do not believe it is illegal because just look at all the peeps with autocom kit installed. Biker to pillion, bike to bike stuff all is legal. If you've got the cash, buy a bluetooth dongle to attach mobile phone, mp3 player, satnav... All installed nicely into your helmet :)

I just got myslef a new phone (sony ericsson W580) which has got a MP3 player in it. the earphone you get with it are of the "in ear canal" type and block wind noise out really well! Plus, they fit so snuggly there is absolutly no pain when wearing the helmet or taking them out.

Try these for a tener:

http://www.headphoneworld.com/p/images/big/PH_SHN2500.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried sony in-ear noise cancelling ear buds, but found that when I put my helmet on they pull out slightly, or when I manage to get them comfortable, I set off and after a mile or two, one slips slightly and then presses uncomfortably.

I dismantled a reasonably good quality pair of small headband type, sennheiser headphones lastnight and and placed the speakers in to the recesses in my Shoei Multitec. They're ok, but could do with being held in with a removable adhesive such as blue-tack. I think blue-tack would probably go a little gooey with heat/sweat. Did consider packing with cotton wool to hold in place. Any advice or tips anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

It's about 50 / 50 I think.

Personally if I am riding all day I wear em... If I am going out for a quick blast I normally have my IPOD on... Looking to replace the earphones soon with "In ear" headphones though...

Give em a try mate.... You may grow to appreciate them.

hmm, I doubt I will be riding out of Birmingham on my little restricted 50cc any time soon :D

There's some brilliant roads round here though :P It's ashame there so many dumb-ass's round here.. :(

i use bluetooth headset fittind into caberg helmet ( its designed for a kit to be fitted so not too hard.... i use a bluetooth mp3 player with it (samsung)

phone is attached but over 40mph conversation gets a bit echoey....

earplugs i cannot stand as i cannot hear feck all ( must be summat to do with past 12- 15 years of working with 100+ db chainsaws and chippers etc ) even though yes they reduce the wind noise i am too isolated in that bubble and have no contact with the bike .. i use a neck warmer/comfy over my ears to minimise the noise but this still allows me to hear..

next addition is going to be the midland 445 pmr bluetooth radio ....(no wires again) allowing the bike to bike facility with those equipped with pmr radios as well