MP3 player whilest riding

Hi all,

was just reading a few posts / threads on here about people using IPOD when riding.

I never even thought that it could be seen as a problem in the eyes of the police.

The main problem i've got with that is that in your theory test / theory reading material it recommends you using ear plugs to cancel out road noise.

I know for a fact that I can hear less with ear plugs in than with headphones on.

Is it purely if you crash / drive badly and get pulled they might pick this up. seems insane that you could get done purely for having headphones in?

can anyone clear this up for me?

Chris

In some countries and certain states in America it is illegal to wear headphones but riding but in the UK it is not as far as I know. Personally I wouldn't worry about that though, because at the worst you'd get a fine or loose your license if it was against the law. The thing you should be thinking about is how much damage your doing to your ears. They recon a deciBel limit of upto 90db is safe for about 8 hours. I think the law in Britain for employers to issue you with ear protection is around 87dB.

Riding at 50mph the dB rating would probably be already over 90dB. For you to hear your stereo at this speed it would need to be turned up to at least 90-100dB. At high speeds the wind noise on a motorbike can easily be above 110dB.

I'm not sure how much you know about dB ratings but to give you an idea 80dB is twice as loud as 70dB and 90dB is twice as loud as 80dB.

Voodoo has a good point. I tend to only use mine for a couple of hours, then plug my ear phones in.

The law currently states (For this country) that in a situation of 60db at 10 meters from the sound source ear protection must be provided by the company.

Buy the right earphones though and you cag get rid of a lot of road and wind noise and have the music set fairly low.

Voodoo has a good point. I tend to only use mine for a couple of hours, then plug my ear phones in.

The law currently states (For this country) that in a situation of 60db at 10 meters from the sound source ear protection must be provided by the company.

Buy the right earphones though and you cag get rid of a lot of road and wind noise and have the music set fairly low.

might see if i can get some of them in ear type ones with the rubbery end! Oo err

might see if i can get some of them in ear type ones with the rubbery end! Oo err

Good idea mate, never actually used em myself, but I know that they hurt like crazy pulling em out!! You have been warned. :D :D

^^^

are you talking about the noise reduction ones? I got some for my brother for xmas. I watched the new batman trailer on his ipod the other day with them in, it was like being in the cinema.

There really good, but I dont know how safe though as they block everything!

^^^

There really good, but I dont know how safe though as they block everything!

Cant be any worse/better than ear plugs! they plugs that they have on the shop floor at work are literally sound deadening - or as close as they could get to it.

if they were really effective at blocking the background noise i would probably not run the IPOD on full volume.

Its much of a much-ness i guess!

• 4 weeks later...

I have Quiet® Reusable 26dB earplugs which take in very snugly Philips SHE9500 In-Ear Headphones. Earlugs bought here: http://www.snorestore.co.uk/acatalog/Work_Earplugs.html

May not be enough for motorway work but in town quite acceptable.

So they play through the earplugs. Boost the volume and voila. Cheap as chips so do not expect miracles :)

[edited]

Really I do not recommend this idea, because the trebbles are weak but it suits me ... I do not usually listen mp3s when ride.

gotta have your music on......love riding along to a bit foo fighters!

or AC/DC...highway to hell is always a favourite to start with.....tempting fate a bit....but awesome tune!

i have in ear phones and i used to ride with the volume quite low as the ear phones would block alot of noise anyway, no damage to ears and battery lasts longer :D

i cant see it being illegal, at speed all you can hear is wind anyway, whats wrong with replacing it with music?

I find it very tricky to put on a helmet without them slipping out and then you have no ear protection and no music. I think the ideal solution should be speakers built in the helmet that will play through the earplugs the type that musicians use. Say 5-10W per ear should suffice. And turning heads will be guaranteed too! :D

Buy a soldering iron and an old style flat headphone set.

Replace ear buds with headphones and fix under the lining of your helmet and you shall have music wherever you go.

not a bad idea para! ive got a very small amp and speaker that runs off a 9V battery, it uses a big jack plug rather than the smaller earphone type one but that poses no problem, it could be easily wired up to anything as a speaker! not that im gonna try! ill keep it in the ciggy box