ALPENN

I bought myself a brand new superbike as a present to myself after passing out of military college, not thinking id be at sea so much.

The sport spoilts wouldn't let me take it on the ship to drag race on the flight deck.

Its low mileage bike, does all the servicing myself as I know Id never be selling it.

Until 3 rounds of back surgery in between 2019 -2023. In between sea time, id either be riding it or preserving it for the next long sea tour. Silly purchase in hindsight.

Is there any way i can manipulate the riding position into a more upright ride position ?

I was thinking higher the handle bars but it does seem as easy as thought, cables etc.

Also im from East of Birmingham, could anyone point me out to a reputable motorbike deep maintenance and/or fairings company nearby. 

Cheers,

Al

That's absolutely gutting. I'm sure there are things you can do to improve the bike but ultimately it is a sports bike. I don't know where but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise and maybe come up with a suggestion. Maybe the cost of altering the bike would be so much it may be worth looking at an alternative swapping for something more comfy. Maybe an excuse for some test rides when you are on leave. Hope health wise things are better and will remain that way mate 👍 

As I got older I could no longer ride sports bikes for any length of time.  Now I ride a BMW R1250RT   Performance is quite good and being a touring bike to riding position is tolerable  for my back and neck.  I would suggest that you look at replacing the bike rather than making significant changes to the riding position. You don't say what bike you have but for most you would need to move the handle bars and footrests/controls to be more upright, and stable on the bike. You may also benefit from some lower back support.

Three rounds of back surgery in the last four years; that can't have been at all nice. Hope you're repairing ok.

I guess you could add bar raisers and perhaps even pull the bars back, but I somehow doubt you'll ever make it something your back will thank you for. So I'd say trade it in for something your back will like.

I used to have a GSXR600, which was fun mainly because of the way it screamed as it hit the red line, but I had to sell it on because of a prolapsed disc in my neck. But the MV I've got now is perfect: when I was in Germany last year, I couldn't sit down at a table for more than hour, but I could ride all day in no pain at all. I really miss the forward body-position of a sportsbike, but being more upright isn't such a bad compromise, especially if it means you can ride all day and then get up the next day and do the same thing again.