signal at a splitting road

This question is really basic, but it seems different instructors have different opinions.

When you are driving into a one-to-two road and you are going straight. Will you put on your left signal?

I am going to take a bike test. I want to know what is the right thing to do.

Capture.PNG

Edited by hoycch

21 minutes ago, hoycch said:

This question is really basic, but it seems different instructors have different opinions.

When you are driving into a one-to-two road and you are going straight. Will you put on your left signal?

I am going to take a bike test. I want to know what is the right thing to do.

Capture.PNG

What is the rationale given for each choice of advice?

i normally will put on my left signal (only with an instructor or examiner, in real life, I can't be bothered), as it's change of lane.

but i saw on youtube, the instructor says "you don't need to put on a signal, because it doesn't benefit anyone"

i'm quite confused.

Edited by hoycch

I personally wouldn't signal. As I was approaching i would make sure i was positioned appropriately for whichever lane I intended to use, probably use a shoulder check to make sure no one is creeping up on the inside and carry straight on. Whether that's technically correct i couldn't say. Your instructor should be able to advise you correctly. 

16 minutes ago, goat said:

I personally wouldn't signal. As I was approaching i would make sure i was positioned appropriately for whichever lane I intended to use, probably use a shoulder check to make sure no one is creeping up on the inside and carry straight on. Whether that's technically correct i couldn't say. Your instructor should be able to advise you correctly. 

so you won't signal no matter right or left?

45 minutes ago, hoycch said:

so you won't signal no matter right or left?

If I'm changing from one lane to the other or intending to turn at the junction but not if I was going straight on, but again not saying this is technically correct. 

The issue I could see with indication at that point is that the traffic behind might not know the area and think that you could be turning into that no entry junction. As above I'd position myself in the lane correctly (slightly left) and have a shoulder check.

Along that road you have a no entry at the bus station on the left. IMO Straight on is straight on, as you approach and your observation skills kick in early as you approach the lights, you can either start to signal left and move over to the filter lane or signal right and move over to the right. I am assuming the instructor is saying, you signal if it will benefit others, I would concur however that is normally a busy junction where people don't pay attention to red lights, your call  🤣   

Edit: oddly enough there is a left turn before the bus station no entry, so be careful, the bus might think you're going for a pint in the George & Dragon  😂

Edited by Pie man

It's not a change of direction, so I wouldn't signal. I'd position myself so that I'd carry on in to the left hand lane and continue straight.

My instructor told me not to signal to go past a parked bus whilst doing my lessons - it didn't help anyone behind me as they could see what I had to do anyway. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I wouldn't signal, as you're continuing along the right of way. It's true the right of way splits into a right and left lane, but I wouldn't signal for either; I'd just position myself to the right or left of the lane before reaching the "Keep Clear" box - perhaps using a shoulder check beforehand. If I saw someone signal left there, I might think they were going to pull over to the kerb on the left (perhaps to pick someone up) and I'd be surprised if they simply meant they were going down the left lane.

The other option on the test, is to take the right lane, indicating right at the time. On the test they cannot fail you for taking a wrong turn, only for failing to appropriate measures to turn. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hoycch said:

it's not just the route.

I always struggle when i come to this kind of splitting road.

Try and think about why you would be signalling. What are you telling people by signalling and how does it help them understand what you are doing, can it be misconstrued.