BMW R 9 T

Richard

A interesting bike with the BMW torque twist, that I think is great fun.

Basically 1200 cc. Flat twin  non standard exhaust 115 bhp 53 mpg, pretty comfortable and handling is lovely. Lots of trick bits to buy. Shaft drive is a big positive and basically I would recommend it highly for someone who likes the thought of a naked bike.

435B949D-85C1-41C7-9378-50D0CD68FAD4.jpeg

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Long time since I’ve been to Settle.

never thought much of the R9. BMW toy bike. Or bike as toy and little else, I mean.

Are not nearly ALL motorcycles big boys toys ?   I class them along with women's handbags and high heeled shoes.  Think about it.  Some women will pay an absolute fortune for a bloody handbag and the most noticeable difference between a cheap one and a dear one is the label.  They're still just hand bags.  Apart from the image, style and 110 bhp what really is the fundamental difference between an MV Agusta and a Royal Enfield ?   They're both motorcycles.  Both have enough performance to deprive you of your licence in jig time. So you buy an MV and spend most of your time watching the speedo and rolling the throttle back.  But I forgot, you do look fabulous on it, don't you ?  OK you're approaching 60 years old, you're probably 28 kilos overweight and your last bike was a BSA Starfire...a long time ago ! And it's not a cafe racer because you don't cruise round to the local cafe in case it gets wet/dirty and it would also mean folk could watch you struggling to dismount nimbly. Also removing your helmet reveals the fact that the flowing locks you had 30 years ago have long gone.   Despite what you see in your mirror, nobody's going to mistake you for Giacomo Agostini.

It's like the high heeled shoes. Women of a certain age and dare I say it body composition are convinced that a pair of wildly expensive high heeled shoes immediately give them legs like Cyd Charisse.

But what the hell, we're probably the last generation who have reached the stage where we can afford such frivolities.  Not quite a substitute for a lost youth but near enough ... maybe ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Are not nearly ALL motorcycles big boys toys ?   I class them along with women's handbags and high heeled shoes.  Think about it.  Some women will pay an absolute fortune for a bloody handbag and the most noticeable difference between a cheap one and a dear one is the label.  They're still just hand bags.  Apart from the image, style and 110 bhp what really is the fundamental difference between an MV Agusta and a Royal Enfield ?   They're both motorcycles.  Both have enough performance to deprive you of your licence in jig time. So you buy an MV and spend most of your time watching the speedo and rolling the throttle back.  But I forgot, you do look fabulous on it, don't you ?  OK you're approaching 60 years old, you're probably 28 kilos overweight and your last bike was a BSA Starfire...a long time ago ! And it's not a cafe racer because you don't cruise round to the local cafe in case it gets wet/dirty and it would also mean folk could watch you struggling to dismount nimbly. Also removing your helmet reveals the fact that the flowing locks you had 30 years ago have long gone.   Despite what you see in your mirror, nobody's going to mistake you for Giacomo Agostini.

It's like the high heeled shoes. Women of a certain age and dare I say it body composition are convinced that a pair of wildly expensive high heeled shoes immediately give them legs like Cyd Charisse.

But what the hell, we're probably the last generation who have reached the stage where we can afford such frivolities.  Not quite a substitute for a lost youth but near enough ... maybe ?

I have basically lived your statement, I have had a lot of bikes over the last 5 years , really I started changing around the lockdown period. Everyone of them had its positives and negatives, and how prices were moving I only lost on one of them. Each one of them was a dream at the time, and some illusions were shattered. I have tried to live the dream, and could afford it when on bikes, cars I couldn’t afford to do it. And my hairstyle definitely backs up your statement 

11561E52-EABD-47BB-9B54-258984A387F3.jpeg

1C49F074-B939-4B44-BA1D-A61F1D8D6ECD.jpeg

0648D25B-53DB-420B-A854-36B24F71AAC3.jpeg

A54244CA-7628-416D-8F8F-99769D48CCCF.jpeg

21F00563-9858-4037-A344-825C83AF1297.jpeg

856010A0-FC64-432C-BDA3-DC7E4219012F.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Are not nearly ALL motorcycles big boys toys ?   I class them along with women's handbags and high heeled shoes. 

really..  you put them in the same class as women handbags and high heeled shoes? well.. how to respond to that!!

Ive never thought of them that way.. but then my fashion sense is rather more conservative.

My bike is my sole transport and has been since I was 18.  Ive never driven a car in my life, not so much as a taster lesson. started on pushbikes when I was 5. I wanted a motorbike when I was 16 but had to wait two years. And could have one on the proviso I bought it myself. And passed the test.

So, if I need to go somewhere under my own steam,  its either walk or use the bike. Or, use some form of public transport.

It's my only transport. its also my mode of going on holiday. Im going abroad twice this year and both times will be on the bike.

I wont compare it to handbags and shoes, neither are necessary to my life, but the bike definitely is.

I did once have a toy bike. good for nothing aside from fun rides. I kept it 3 months. it was nice but far too restrictive. I need more from a bike than a 'fun ride' - a whole lot more.

Of course this puts me outside the mainstream. the vast majority of riders have bikes that are toys. My comment wasn't about them and their choices. it was about me and mine.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gerontious said:

really..  you put them in the same class as women handbags and high heeled shoes? well.. how to respond to that!!

Ive never thought of them that way.. but then my fashion sense is rather more conservative.

My bike is my sole transport and has been since I was 18.  Ive never driven a car in my life, not so much as a taster lesson. started on pushbikes when I was 5. I wanted a motorbike when I was 16 but had to wait two years. And could have one on the proviso I bought it myself. And passed the test.

So, if I need to go somewhere under my own steam,  its either walk or use the bike. Or, use some form of public transport.

It's my only transport. its also my mode of going on holiday. Im going abroad twice this year and both times will be on the bike.

I wont compare it to handbags and shoes, neither are necessary to my life, but the bike definitely is.

I did once have a toy bike. good for nothing aside from fun rides. I kept it 3 months. it was nice but far too restrictive. I need more from a bike than a 'fun ride' - a whole lot more.

Of course this puts me outside the mainstream. the vast majority of riders have bikes that are toys. My comment wasn't about them and their choices. it was about me and mine.

I raise my hat to you sir !   Keep the aspidistra flying !

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2023 at 07:38, Steve_M said:

I had one as a loaner when my GS was in for some warranty work. It was great fun to ride but would have to be a second bike for me as I need something to tour on two up. 

Is that because of the seat? I saw a fatter aftermarket that looked more practical. 

51 minutes ago, Breezin said:

Is that because of the seat? I saw a fatter aftermarket that looked more practical. 

It has many disadvantages for two up touring. Inadequate luggage capacity, weather protection, insufficient legroom for the pillion, the riding position is not to my liking for riding several hours a day then, yes, there’s the pillion seat which my good lady would most certainly not be impressed with. 

Edit: suspension adjustment? I have ESA on my GS which allows me to set up for solo, pillion and or luggage at the press of a button. I can’t find any reference to ESA in the R Nine T’s tech spec. I would miss that.

If I were, say, 30years younger and touring solo I would fit an aftermarket screen, bar risers, and throw over bags… or buy the R1250RS.  🙏

Edited by Steve_M

Fair enough. I'm just finding it difficult to convert to the GS/ADV tribe.

I've toured loads, including two-up on the Interceptor 650, so the finer points are a bit moot for me.

I think the only thing I'd miss on the BMW is an actual fuel gauge. What genius thought it'd be a good idea to drop that?

1 hour ago, Breezin said:

Fair enough. I'm just finding it difficult to convert to the GS/ADV tribe.

I've toured loads, including two-up on the Interceptor 650, so the finer points are a bit moot for me.

I think the only thing I'd miss on the BMW is an actual fuel gauge. What genius thought it'd be a good idea to drop that?

I’ve never thought of myself as part of a tribe 🤷

I had every intention of not buying a GS when I was looking to replace my FJR. I had my eye on the R1200RS as I quite fancied something along the lines of my old VFR800fi but shaft drive. The bar steward of a salesman suggested I try the GS. It was a revelation just how good it is, and my pillion is over the moon with the elevated viewing platform that the seat gives her (something she missed on the FJR).

I’ve just watched the Bennett’s YouTube review of the Yamaha 900GT. If I were looking to replace my FJR now, I think that is the sort of bike I would be considering. A stage between adventure and the old sports touring package (if only it had shaft drive!).