Help! XSR900 under seat lock has seized - unable to get seat off

krstfr92

Hi All,

In need of some serious help / suggestions.

Unfortunately the under seat lock on my 2018 XSR 900 has seized up and I'm unable to get the seat off of the bike to charge the battery up.

So far, looks like the only option is to drill the lock out - but still unsure if this will expose the turning mechanism to unlock the seat.

Yamaha are quoting £2K+ to fix, apparently it requires an entire new lockset (ignition barrel, ecu etc.)

I'm really stuck here - seems like a simple issue but has escalated into a huge and potentially expensive exercise just to get the seat off of the bike so I can get to the battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

Many thanks,

Chris

Why would you need to replace the ignition barrel and ecu just to replace the seat lock? Surely you could make do with different keys. Keep the original key for the ignition and just get a replacement lock and key for the seat lock. 

I assume you've tried plenty of lubricant in the seized lock. In the past I've had luck using PlusGas followed by a squirt of WD40. PlusGas usually works by itself,  but if not the WD40 helps drive it into the seized parts. 

• Like 1

I had the same problem with a Thunderace, loved that bike!

I ended up taking the fuel tank off, which gave access to jiggle the seat from both ends, I had a pal working the seat from the front and me on the key and working the seat from the back, only cost me a new mechanism from breakers and

few beers.

Plan B was to cut the seat out.

good luck

• 2 months later...