Best insurance based on response to claims

OhCrikey

Hi all, taking delivery of my bike today, 125 as CBT holder...looking at insurance and very few reviews appear to be based on a company after a claim - all about quality of experience buying the insurance on and offline, ease of renewal etc. Can anyone recommend an insurance company that actually does what it's supposed to do when you actually, regrettably, need their service?!

Edited by OhCrikey

When my bike got nicked, the insurers passed me straight over to deal with the underwriters (Markerstudy). They were fine, settled in a fortnight. But the issue is this: if what happened to me is the norm, then your experience is in the hands of the underwriter, not the insurer. And there's zero information on which underwriters are ok.

Where the insurer makes a difference is what they do to you when you come to change your address, replace the horn, add go faster-stripes to the wheels and so on. General word on the ground is that they're all basically ok except MCE. I don't have an MCE horror story myself, but some here might contribute.

They all have 3rd party companies that they palm off claims to. One will do your bike, another might do the other drivers, another will do your helmet and accessories claim, another will do your court appearance, another for hire bike, another for any compensation you claim. 

So it doesn't matter much they all hand you over, very little bar the initial conversation actually gets done by the insurer. 

Keep in mind in the event of a court case and you lose you could be liable to then pay the cost of hire bike/car storage fees etc depending on circumstances. Also even the most straightforward claim could take over a year. 

Customer care is almost non existent in the insurance industry once they have your cash. Pick the most comprehensive policy you can afford and be as safe as you can. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pie man said:

@daveinlim sums it up neatly. I wont always go for the cheapest though, I like to have legal cover, used it twice now :eek2:

Legal protection is good to have and so is breakdown cover. AA and RAC won't collect you and your bike in an accident, they will charge you as if you're not a customer. It's something I found out the hard way. But my insurer took care of collecting me and my bike as I had that in the policy.