Bike help!!!!!

Richie9

hi, im 18 and i have wanted a motorcycle for a long time, but i need help with information. i look for information and websites all say different things. im looking at doing a cbt so i can ride a 125cc with l plates. i need help with things like what bike you recommend, what to look out for when buying a used bike, where to buy used bikes, what gear to buy for riding and also security for bikes. thanks for the help

• Like 1

Hi,

Yep, start with the CBT. Before you go you'll probably need your own gear.

• Helmet - strongly suggest to buy it from a shop, ask advice on proper fitting.
  • Gloves - winter /summer as appropriate
  • Boots (at least a sturdy pair of walking boots)
  • Jacket (a cheap textile biker jacket will do)
  • Jeans, or proper bike jeans or you're feeling flush

As for bikes - you can buy a brand new Chinese keeway /lexmoto or similar for the same price as a used Yamaha YBR125. (Have a look on AutoTrader bikes by setting the min and max CC to  125.). The difference is in the quality, and also consider resale value when you trade up to an A2 licence.

Also consider insurance - comparethemarket will give indicative costs  - and storage.

• Like 1

For security, consider an alarmed disk lock for about £38 and a battery powered motion alarm  you can get for about £13 on  Amazon. They just pop under the seat.

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 1

How Did you get on with your search?

Just to Mirror what @Fiddlesticks was saying, Chinese bikes are cheap, but they're cheap due to there lower quality.

My personal opinion on them is that the quality has got better over the years but they are not suited for someone just getting into bikes, as they require more maintaining than a Japanese bike (Yahama, Honda, suzuki etc)

Places to look for bikes:

Autotrader is a good place to start as you can filter results based on what you're looking for, but once you have an idea what bike you want, you seem to be able to find cheaper bikes on Facebook marketplace and Gumtree.

As for gear, there is a saying in the biker community which is All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT for short).

Even at 30mph, if you go down Jeans won't protect you much, and you'll walk away with a load of skin missing.

So, with that in mind:

Helmet - for into a store and ask for advice from a salesperson. The reason I say this, is because fitment is really important. A cheap, well fitting helmet will protect you much better than an expensive, I'll fitting one.

Jacket - something with protection in the elbows, shoulders and back.

You can get leather, textile or mesh. Some are waterproof, others are not, so it's always best to read the description.

Gloves - I'd go for leather or gortex. I currently have some winter gloves I'm using and they are falling apart from just touching the throttle, so I doubt they'll hold up in a crash.

Look out for something with a bit of protection on the kuckles and palm of the hand.

Trousers - look out for protection on the knees and hips. Also, try and get a jacket and trousers with compatible zips, as they'll connect together, preventing the jacket from rising up, especially if you come off.

Boots - don't get anything laced, as the laces can get caught in the peddles and you can end up falling over/dropping the bike when you come to a stop.

Ideally, try and get something that covers the shin, as it will give extra protection.

You can try marketplace/gumtree for used gear to keep the costs down, but never get a second hand helmet because it may have been dropped (you'll need to buy a new one if dropped, as it can be damaged inside) and the helmet will naturally mold to the shape of the head of the wearer over time, which compresses the cushioning of the helmet and reduces its effectiveness

Bike wise pick up a Japanese 125 for about a grand, they're pretty bullet proof and dirt cheap to fix.

Even if you somehow kill the engine, a used one will be £250 and the size of a biscuit tin - you can swap it in an afternoon with basic tools.

Chinese bikes are trash in my opinion, rust to hell, crap to ride and they're worth 5p when you sell on.

Second the advice above.

go to proper bike stores, sportsbike direct, jands acceser Etc.

equipment is PPE so motorbike spec is the only way.

fit for helmet and clothing is paramount no ifs or buts! Features and flash paints are nice but not worthless if its not right.

if you plan to ride in the cold and wet pinlock visors and the inserts stop fogging are the best.

Look for specs do you need winter or just summer? Goretex water proof layer is nice if your flush and very cold blooded but some other brand named like alpinestars- drystar layer is very good , not as sweaty and alot cheaper.

Cost is a bit of a indicator (like stupid cheap, is just stupid but some discounted brand stuff can be very good) but beyond the mid price points you pay a lot more for less gain.

id agree with meal and mega ross on the Chinese....
Also parts are difficult to source because they see it as they only make to feed the factory at that time with a few left over (ones even the factory rejected) wher as the big brand keep going for 15yrs after the bbike was made for stock.
because they all parts have to come from china directly (they dont even stock in Europe) so it costs you more to buy and the waiting time so much longer.

dont expect alot of garages to want to look at the things let alone fix them if it needs it, so ull be on your own.

just get a good tidy jap bike, cheaper to run , cheaper and easier to fix, has resale value where as the yellow stars brigade dont.

Dont be to worried about mileage, only Buy on condition and plenty of history with full of receipts. 

security wise dont bother with just a disc lock, With a light weight bike one puny scrote can lift the front and move it, two and easily just lift it in a van. If you get a alarm disc lock make sure it can have a select sensitivity adjustment...it gets old when the wind blow sets it off.

MOST disc locks are more vulnerable in there design plus with 125s the brakes are smalle, so the pin for it needs to be smaller to fit in the slots of the rota so a good twatting with a big hammer will be enough to take it out, ok if youve left it outside the corner shop while u get milk but anylonger and it's protection will be its downfall.
Chain and lock -look for gold secure logo, through the rear wheel (better yet through the frame aswell if long enough) to a solid anchor or lamp post etc.

reason being the front is easier to get off (two/three Allen keys quiet as that) and have slave wheels if they play the game that way, the rear harder.

sounds stupid but bike covers, stops it getting wet but also make the thief actually need to get right up to and peek at it to see what they would have to work with before hand which draws unnecessary attention to them selfs, they might just find easier pickers down the road.

Edited by RideWithStyles

Don't forget there are second hand bike clothing & kit shops as well. Damage to a used helmet is difficult to spot and personally I just wouldn't consider one, but damage to a used jacket, gloves or boots is likely to be pretty obvious. If money is tight or you're just not sure biking is for you, you could save a lot of money this way.

Didn't recommend it just saying there are options, Might not ave bells and whistles but It meets the safety standards.
Personally wouldn't be my first choice but if it fits and its within a young person's budget while finding their feet its miles Better than  second hand helmets, borrowed from "five fingers frank", dodging far east or internet knock offs, jet ski, horse riding, cyclists ...do i need to go on?

Edited by RideWithStyles