Odd sound when gassing

NorwegianBloke

Hey

My Yamaha mt-125 is making a weird squeaky-rusty when i give or let go of gas.

I regularly wash my chain and lube it. The sound has something to do when i move the throttle.

The sound comes from the area under my arse, or around the rear sprocket.

Click the link to hear the sound it makes.

https://youtube.com/shorts/X58Ejt9zH_c?si=1Kwij3u8S62Qv7y_

Check the front sprocket nut. 

If it's high pitched check the wheel bearings. They should not have play or sound like stale cornflakes being chewed by a hippo.

Also check your chain thoroughly for stuck links, tight spots, lateral play and anything untoward.

High pitched whining when you give it a spanking can also be a vacuum leak.

if you get no joy from the wheel bearing.

Sound like rubbing to me. metal on plastics or metal on softer metal, difficult to tell with a phone but still better than just saying it thanks!

does the sound change at different speeds, ie, go faster and it sound faster but the tone is the same?

or does stay the same regardless?

if it changes to speeds id check these: the chain is out of alignment, mud guard is rubbing or the to do with the caliper/pads.

if doesnt change to the relation to the speed but to how much the bike revs or on/off load the exhaust/suspension bolts could be vibrating as they could be loose.

7 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

if you get no joy from the wheel bearing.

Sound like rubbing to me. metal on plastics or metal on softer metal, difficult to tell with a phone but still better than just saying it thanks!

does the sound change at different speeds, ie, go faster and it sound faster but the tone is the same?

or does stay the same regardless?

if it changes to speeds id check these: the chain is out of alignment, mud guard is rubbing or the to do with the caliper/pads.

if doesnt change to the relation to the speed but to how much the bike revs or on/off load the exhaust/suspension bolts could be vibrating as they could be loose.

I do not really hear the sound in first gear, but the sound is the loudest in third gear if i am not mistaken. 

I do not think i can hear the sound when i am in gear five or six, but it may just be that the sound of the wind is just too loud.

And rubbing is a good way to explain the sound, it does sound like metal on softer metal.

My first thought is it sounds like the chain rubbing on the swing arm. If that's the case, you just need to Tighten the chain.

Chain slack is a maintenance item that is often overlooked, and its an easy thing to measure (and change) yourself.

Measuring the slack is easy to do. All you need is a tape measure.

On the mt-125 there should be a little arrow on the swingarm pointing towards the chain; this is where you check the tension.

The slack should be 35mm-45mm.

To check it, pull the chain all the way up at the arrow mark, then push it down as far as it goes. The slack is the amount it moves between those two points.

There are also plenty of YouTube tutorials which will show how to do it.

8 hours ago, mealexme said:

My first thought is it sounds like the chain rubbing on the swing arm. If that's the case, you just need to Tighten the chain.

Chain slack is a maintenance item that is often overlooked, and its an easy thing to measure (and change) yourself.

Measuring the slack is easy to do. All you need is a tape measure.

On the mt-125 there should be a little arrow on the swingarm pointing towards the chain; this is where you check the tension.

The slack should be 35mm-45mm.

To check it, pull the chain all the way up at the arrow mark, then push it down as far as it goes. The slack is the amount it moves between those two points.

There are also plenty of YouTube tutorials which will show how to do it.

Thank you mate, but i have already checked my chain. I even tried to tighten and loosen it, but the sound won't go away. Therefore i do not think it has something to do with the slack in the chain